Gunny Hartman

Can someone post Mel Kiper's grade for Falcons draft

10 posts in this topic

"

Top needs: Guard, defensive tackle, wide receiver

Atlanta lost wide receivers Taylor Gabriel and Andre Roberts in free agency, and we knew the Falcons were going to address the position at some point in this draft. And after the season Calvin Ridley had at Alabama, I never thought he'd be available at No. 26. But then his testing numbers at the combine were just average, and he started to drop. Listen, you have to trust the tape with Ridley. He's an advanced route runner who just gets open, and that's against SEC defenses and some of the best defensive backs in the country. That's why making him the No. 3 wideout behind Julio Jones (another Bama star) and Mohamed Sanu is a great move. Matt Ryan has to be elated with his options, and the NFC South only got tougher this offseason.

Elsewhere, defensive tackle Deadrin Senat (pick 90) could be a straight replacement for Dontari Poe, who left for the Panthers in free agency. Cornerback Isaiah Oliver (58) is a supreme athlete who also returned punts for the Buffaloes. Ito Smith (126) is insurance in case they can't retain Tevin Coleman. Smith is only 5-9, but he'll help in the passing game -- he had 140 career receptions.

If there's a qualm with this class, it's that there's no guard, and they could have used a young guy to push the starters. Still, I like Ridley, Oliver and Senat."

Ergo Proxy, Romfal, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

If there's a qualm with this class, it's that there's no guard, and they could have used a young guy to push the starters

So the Falcons should have reached? As the Colts GM once said: Who in the hel! is Mel Kiper?

Edited by Tim Mazetti
capologist and jidady like this

Mel Kiper should stick to his Bachelor big board. I freakin hate when he comes on ESPN radio while I’m driving and starts talking about the Bachelor. So dumb. 

4 minutes ago, capologist said:

Mayock is so much better than Kiper.  

Kiper's career is a total mystery to me. He's never made a single player evaluation that lingered in my mind. Meanwhile, Mayock had three during his first year of NFL Network coverage alone. One guy loves football and relishes player evaluations. The other one has a cushy ESPN gig and a strong work ethic but little skill in his chosen vocation.

capologist likes this

21 minutes ago, jidady said:

Kiper's career is a total mystery to me. He's never made a single player evaluation that lingered in my mind. Meanwhile, Mayock had three during his first year of NFL Network coverage alone. One guy loves football and relishes player evaluations. The other one has a cushy ESPN gig and a strong work ethic but little skill in his chosen vocation.

I like Mayock way more too, but I'll be honest it seemed like he was a little off this year compared to most.