jlrfalcon

Is it just coincidence or does Quinn have something against UGA Bulldogs?

156 posts in this topic

Across 3 drafts now in the Quinn era, the Falcons have yet to draft a UGA Bulldog (Yale Bulldogs do not count) and although they have signed a few UDFA ones, their treatment has been somewhat poor.  On the other hand, it seems an excessive effort has been made to get LSU Tigers.  There are currently 4 LSU Tigers on the full roster (reserve/injured not included) but only 1 UGA Bulldog - Garrison Smith who has not played as a Falcon yet but who also was a Seattle Seahawk. 

It may have not made sense to draft a Bulldog at #26 and Alabama product Ridley may have seemed a bargain, but was WR our greatest glaring need?  The Patriots, whose talent-finding skills are generally considered strong, drafted Michel a couple of picks later, and we ended up grabbing a RB a couple of rounds later.  We then sign only one Bulldog so far among the UDFA's -  a kicker who was a late transfer from Wofford who then was beat out by a youngster named Rodrigo last year.

We then had Quincy Mauger and Reggie Davis in our 2017 UDFA's, who both made the roster/practice squad last year but who neither really got a chance to play in the regular season.  Even after a great preseason last year, Davis seemed to be a second option to Marvin Hall as our emergency WR.

I am not necessarily suggesting that Quinn (and/or Dimitroff) are bad talent scouts but does it seem they have a bias against drafting/signing home state players?  Are they worried that having a Bulldog succeed might annoy Yellow Jacket fans?  Did Quinn absorb an anti-Bulldog virus from Sarkisian?

5 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

...I am not necessarily suggesting that Quinn (and/or Dimitroff) are bad talent scouts but does it seem they have a bias against drafting/signing home state players?  Are they worried that having a Bulldog succeed might annoy Yellow Jacket fans?  Did Quinn absorb an anti-Bulldog virus from Sarkisian?

Let's ask the tiger...

LSU-Tigers-logo.jpg

27 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

They drafted BPA

But did they?  No way C Ridley is better than S Michel.  I think we could have went ol/dl in the 1st but maybe they feel confident in the few guys we got, or are expecting to sign a FA.  When the season starts and we are still lacking DT depth or ignore OG, then maybe this 1st round pick can be then 2nd guess.  But if you are arguing BPA, then no doubt S Michel is better than Ridley and will be. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

But did they?  No way C Ridley is better than S Michel.  I think we could have went ol/dl in the 1st but maybe they feel confident in the few guys we got, or are expecting to sign a FA.  When the season starts and we are still lacking DT depth or ignore OG, then maybe this 1st round pick can be then 2nd guess.  But if you are arguing BPA, then no doubt S Michel is better than Ridley and will be. 

I disagree. Ridley is a much better WR than Michel.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

Just now, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I disagree. Ridley is a much better WR than Michel.

I disagree.  MIchel is a much better NFL prospect than Ridley. And I bet Michel has a higher catch % than Ridley does as well. Again we are talking BPA, but as I stated earlier, I would have rather went Oline or DT with that pick, rather than those 2. 

4 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

Is he?? Ridley was a (pleasant) surprise to last to 26... Michel was a (pleasant) surprise to be picked in the first round. 

I think Michel will be a top back in the NFL and I don't think Ridley will be a top WR.  IMO I think Michel has the better career, and has the same skill set as Kamara.  I can see Ridley being like A Cooper.  I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I believe, unless he can sure up those drops (which did happen with Roddy).

1 minute ago, dawgsjw said:

I disagree.  MIchel is a much better NFL prospect than Ridley. And I bet Michel has a higher catch % than Ridley does as well. Again we are talking BPA, but as I stated earlier, I would have rather went Oline or DT with that pick, rather than those 2. 

Ridely was the best player at his position. Sony is top 5, but I don't consider him the best RB in this draft personally, and I loved him in UGA. Maybe we needed some Oline help, but I feel good at what we got in the first round.

Got a DT in Senat later anyway. 

Speaking of coincidence's, do UGA players seem to come in pairs only?

Wynn & Michel - to Patriots

Chubb & Thompson (UDFA) - to Browns

Roquan & Wims (UDFA) - to Bears

I guess Lorenzo (Giants) and Bellamy (Texans) did break the trend.

Also, this year's UGA class does seem to further justify the need to allow underclass players to return to college for their senior year if they are not drafted.  They have been likely tarnished by agents by now - these agents bloat their egos that they are a can't miss pick (only so many picks available) and make them think that extra year of school and football would be meaningless.  However, that senior year could be the difference between being picked or not.

falconfreak1 likes this