Should we sign a FA DT

To be honest, I don't know. I definitely want to see some UDFAs at minimum and working out cap room in the event we need or plan to go after one.

Hankins only for cheap. Rubin possibly for cheaper. The premium question is if Senat covers 2-down run D what is our interior pass rush package like? Does he develop as a rusher in his rookie year?

I'm sure it was always in the plan to sign a free agent DT. One of the good things about such a deep rookie class is the fact that it will result in players being cut for depth and to save money. We may not sign a stud, but we'll get at least one solid inside guy.

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm sure it was always in the plan to sign a free agent DT. One of the good things about such a deep rookie class is the fact that it will result in players being cut for depth and to save money. We may not sign a stud, but we'll get at least one solid inside guy.

Probably this. You'd have to think there is some projection and a pile added to the FA market; be it UDFA or rookie/vet cuts over the next few months.

However, that plan probably needs some flexibility(cap room being a part of that; such as Lolo's 3.5M coming off our cap June)

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I have it from a fan whose on these boards and has been a fan for 40 years has openly said we ran out of cap a month ago how can we afford to sign a FA it's impossible.

lol purple.

1 hour ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Hankins and bromley are still out there. Hankins is decent and used to be hot a few years ago. I think he could be signed to a 2 year worth 11 million.  

Well if Hankins was hot only a few years ago, sign me up! I’m sure we can make him hot again and having hot players is really all any of us should be wanting...:tiphat:

3 minutes ago, FalconBlood said:

Well if Hankins was hot only a few years ago, sign me up! I’m sure we can make him hot again and having hot players is really all any of us should be wanting...:tiphat:

Maybe Hankins should work out a "Prove It" deal here, learn to play DT Quinn-style and go sign up with another NFC South team next year...

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

I have it from a fan whose on these boards and has been a fan for 40 years has openly said we ran out of cap a month ago how can we afford to sign a FA it's impossible.

lol purple.

it shocks me how many of our fans have a simplistic view of how league finances work. There's a ramification for every transaction but there is always money that can be found when the need exists. Cuts and strategically restructuring of contracts are always options if the benefit of doing it exceeds the cost of doing nothing.

Just now, JayOzOne said:

it shocks me how many of our fans have a simplistic view of how league finances work. There's a ramification for every transaction but there is always money that can be found when the need exists. Cuts and strategically restructuring of contracts are always options if the benefit of doing it exceeds the cost of doing nothing.

Yes but some people are stuck on the what's in front of there face and unfortunately old habits die harder than Bruce Willis.

Phone call overheard in Flowery Branch a week ago...

"Hello?  Jonathan Hankins' agent?  This is Thomas Dimitroff.  Yeah, really... listen, we really want your boy here, but we want to get this done after the draft.  See, if all those other yokels think we're going to draft some schmuck named Taven Bryan, we're sure to have some wicked awesome picks fall to us while other teams are thinking we're going heavy DT...  We're gonna steal the best WR and CB, then a buncha other bigtime helpers.  Teams are gonna be like, 'WTF??... I thought the Falcons were going all scrub DT's this draft... How did we not get Ridley or Oliver; I was sure they was gonna fall to us..."

Hankins' Agent:  "Okaaaaay... dmn, you are one crazy gel-haired summabch... it ain't right how you playing these other teams..."

3 hours ago, AndySG said:

When do FA signings stop affecting compensatory picks? Maybe that's why teams are waiting on Hankins. I expect Rubin back at this stage. I wanted him back anyway as a cheap role player so works for me!

I think hankins being cut a couple days after affected him. A lot of teams are set in their ways of chat tido in FA a couple weeks before. And no one saw hankins being cut.