Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Grade The Falcons Draft

Grade The Falcons Draft   254 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the Falcons draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

183 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It’s amazing that the year before the Falcons had WR depth and a record number of players score TD.

A FB leaves and all of a sudden there’s no depth behind Julio and Sanu.

Talent wasn’t the issue.

Unfortunately that offense isn't coming back anytime soon. Maybe never again with Matt Ryan (age 33) as our QB as long as Sarkisian is still here. Our growing talented D is gonna have to carry us along with our veteran offense to lead us back to the Super Bowl rather it's this upcoming season or the 2020 season. 

29 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

First 2 picks were slam dunks in my opinion. The 3rd wasn’t sexy but I like the matchup next to Grady Jarrett. The 4th pick makes less than zero sense in my opinion and I’ll just have to sit back and hope to be proven wrong. The two 6th round picks look nice.

All in all, it’s a B+. I would give it an easy A if we take somebody other than Ito in the 4th.

You're going to looooove Ito Smith.

Monoxide, HASHBROWN3 and jas82487 like this

13 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:
  1. Ridley:  A-  Love the player but adding the minus since I still think it was a bit of a luxury pick.
  2. Oliver:  A+ Great value, DQ traits and a position that fills a need.
  3. Senat:  B+ Film looks good but not quite ready to call it an A
  4. Smith:  A-  Impressive film and we needed a Ward replacement.  Size is only reason there is a minus.
  5. Gage:  C+ Another roster spot for a ST or does he really have a more expansive role.  Fine for 6th.
  6. Oluokun:  B+  Film looks great, athletic LB but no point of reference since he did not see high level talent but fine for 6th.

Overall it is an A.  Can't wait to see who we can pull in for UDFA.  I want a FB!!!

WR wasn't a luxury pick. Falcons desperately needed someone to take pressure off Julio and Sanu.

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

Unfortunately that offense isn't coming back anytime soon. Maybe never again with Matt Ryan (age 33) as our QB as long as Sarkisian is still here. Our growing talented D is gonna have to carry us along with our veteran offense to lead us back to the Super Bowl rather it's this upcoming season or the 2020 season. 

I agree.  That's why I would have liked to have seen more of a commitment to the d-line earlier in the draft.

I mean the first 2 picks are nice and all but they're not starting for a year at least.  The 3rd round DT has to start out of necessity.

So I guess you come out of the draft with a starter but not in the way you would have expected.

mqg96 likes this

I think every pick was pretty good. Were there guys I liked more at some spots? Yeah of course. There’s always going to be, but we got two guys I viewed as first rounders including my 11th overall player at 26. 

I'm not letting the later picks deviate my grade. This was an A draft. We absolutely nailed our first 3 picks. I like what I've seen from Ito. Don't like the Gage pick at all, especially since it cost us both 7ths. Foye was a solid pick but would have preferred a couple other guys. I'm hoping we do well with UDFAs. 

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It’s amazing that the year before the Falcons had WR depth and a record number of players score TD.

A FB leaves and all of a sudden there’s no depth behind Julio and Sanu.

Talent wasn’t the issue.

That's not all that happened. Falcons no longer have Taylor Gabriel, Aldrick Robinson, Jacob Tamme and Patrick DiMarco. They've lost a lot of talent offensively.Seriously, look at the roster right now, Julio, Sanu and Hooper. Who else is there at the WR/TE positions to make plays? No one. I don't wanna hear about Marvin Hall, Reggie Davis or Justin Hardy. Hall can't catch a cold butt naked in Alaska in January. Davis is completely unknown, although I like what he showed last preseason. I like Hardy and he catches everything thrown his way but teams don't game plan for him because he's not fast or anything else.

capitan, Marco102 and papachaz like this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I agree.  That's why I would have liked to have seen more of a commitment to the d-line earlier in the draft.

I mean the first 2 picks are nice and all but they're not starting for a year at least.  The 3rd round DT has to start out of necessity.

So I guess you come out of the draft with a starter but not in the way you would have expected.

Why are people so worried about "starter" when it comes to WR? Teams are in 3 WR sets like 70-75% of the time in today's NFL.

Marco102 likes this

C-

Like the CB and DT pick, don't care for any of the others at all. I had no players that I specifically want, just wanted more DL\OL. 

You have DL issues this year, no FB at all. Next year you've left yourself at need drafting for FS and OG starters. Why the **** are we drafting a replacement for our #2 rb next year in this year draft when you see legit holes for levitre and whatever garbage RG we have who will be gone next year. Don't care what you say, in  2019 OG will be a massive issue and we are too busy looking to find Coleman's replacement. 

Allen is a FA next year and you will have to pay him to stay, where as you could have started looking at safety now to prep. We outsmarted ourselves and thought that 2 wr and a RB would be our future. Just dumb

C+

Got some good players at positions that were already strengths while neglecting huge areas of need.

We seemed to have shored up ST but we are still paperthin in the front 7...and against the teams in our division that could hurt us.

In the end though grades don't matter....we all have been right about some picks and wrong about others.....let's just hope that the FO has a solid post draft plan to adress some of the more glaring needs that are still present.

I will say this though..... At least we did not trade next year's number one pick for a soft unpolished pass-rusher he's going to have his lunch eaten by Matthews.

And at least we are not Seattle who has the worst office line in the league but decided to draft a punter

44 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Pretty much have to give it an A after how the first three rounds went. Don't think I'd have done anything differently tbh. Was hesitant on the next picks, but after reviewing them, I'm feeling a lot better - all very athletic, high ceiling, high energy guys. Ito could get snaps early and has a lot of potential, Gage could be a gunner with WR4/5 ability right away, and Foye is getting love from people I respect and looks to be a nasty hitter, like a more athletic Ishmael.

Good post.

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's not all that happened. Falcons no longer have Taylor Gabriel, Aldrick Robinson, Jacob Tamme and Patrick DiMarco. They've lost a lot of talent offensively.Seriously, look at the roster right now, Julio, Sanu and Hooper. Who else is there at the WR/TE positions to make plays? No one. I don't wanna hear about Marvin Hall, Reggie Davis or Justin Hardy. Hall can't catch a cold butt naked in Alaska in January. Davis is completely unknown, although I like what he showed last preseason. I like Hardy and he catches everything thrown his way but teams don't game plan for him because he's not fast or anything else.

I was referring about not depth with last year and the Bills game when Gabriel was still on the roster. 

I don't think WR was a greater need than DT because you don't need a starter at WR like DT.  The Ridley pick will be more valuable next season when they cut Sanu but then WR is still going to be a need.

The only way they don't cut Sanu is if Julio falls off a cliff like Roddy did.  If that happens then all bets are off with the offense because, like Tony Gonzalez, there is no replacing Julio Jones. 

14 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I mean the first 2 picks are nice and all but they're not starting for a year at least. 

The **** they won't. Nickel/11 personnel are **** near base formations in today's NFL. 

And both Ridley and Oliver will likely be outside when they come in, which is typically more "starter-like" than nickel/slot positioning is. 

ETA: Your new third round pick will be on the field for the first snap of the regular season too. 

I give the draft an A-. Love picks 1 - 4 fo sho. 

B overall; strong chance of being an A if we in fact yield 3 starters eventually (WR/CB/DT)

Its interesting to see what happens with those first 3 picks because of this. The last 3 picks are role players/STs and future projections. Ito could be very important next offseason because of TeCo and this year if there are further RB injuries. We got a potential return man and STs ace in those 3. Another in box S/LB convert Ish 2.0 maybe...

10 minutes ago, runshoot said:

when you see legit holes for levitre and whatever garbage RG we have who will be gone next year.

Have faith in Schweitzer. Sure, he got owned last season, but this one may be different.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

B:

First two picks were amazing. Got what many people consider the best WR in the draft, and a 1st round talent at CB. Senat seems like he could be solid, hopefully he pans out. DT in general concerns me a bit since Grady is the only proven commodity at that position. Ito seems like a good change of pace back, and potentially our new return guy.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, Falcon Ben said:

The **** they won't. Nickel/11 personnel are **** near base formations in today's NFL. 

And both Ridley and Oliver will likely be outside when they come in, which is typically more "starter-like" than nickel/slot positioning is. 

See that's just it.

I don't see Oliver starting over Poole.

Poole has experience and technique.  Technique is a big deal when you play corner in this system.

Barring injury I don't see Oliver playing that much this season.

Falcon Ben likes this

Where does this leave us looking for the predicted 53, just throwing out names off the top of my head:

T- Matthews, Schraeder, Sambraillo, Paztor

G-Levite, fusco, Schweitzer, Harland

C-Mack, garland

Qb- ryan, Schaub

Fb- TBC

Rb- Freeman, Coleman, Ito 

Wr- Jones, sanu, Ridley, hardy, gage, hall

TE- hooper, Paulsen, saubert

DE- Beasley, mckinley, reed, Shelby

DT- Jarrett, senat, Crawford 

LB-Jones, Campbell, Riley, Ishmael, Foyesade

CB-trufant, Alford, Oliver, Poole, bethel, McFadden wreh wilson

S- Neal, Allen, Kazee, Mauger

LS - Harris

K - Bryant 

P - Bosher

thats 51 and obviously needs more depth on the D line, then there’s a fair few guys in there who are by no means a sure thing!! 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

See that's just it.

I don't see Oliver starting over Poole.

Poole has experience and technique.  Technique is a big deal when you play corner in this system.

Barring injury I don't see Oliver playing that much this season.

The proposition is Tru/Oliver/Aflord at the nickel Vs. True/Alford/Poole at the nickel. 

You could argue that we are better with Poole at nickel than with Oliver on the outside, but I love the idea of Alford in the nickel. 

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why are people so worried about "starter" when it comes to WR? Teams are in 3 WR sets like 70-75% of the time in today's NFL.

I guess I just got spoiled in the last few drafts where rookies came in and had significant roles and snaps because there wasn't much in front of them.  But I guess that's what happens when you draft well... guys go to the bench.

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I was referring about not depth with last year and the Bills game when Gabriel was still on the roster. 

I don't think WR was a greater need than DT because you don't need a starter at WR like DT.  The Ridley pick will be more valuable next season when they cut Sanu but then WR is still going to be a need.

The only way they don't cut Sanu is if Julio falls off a cliff like Roddy did.  If that happens then all bets are off with the offense because, like Tony Gonzalez, there is no replacing Julio Jones. 

Why reach for a DT when WR was the best value on the board at that point?

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I guess I just got spoiled in the last few drafts where rookies came in and had significant roles and snaps because there wasn't much in front of them.  But I guess that's what happens when you draft well... guys go to the bench.

I guarantee you that Calvin Ridley gets at least 60 catches in 2018.

Drew4719 and falcons007 like this

Just now, Falcon Ben said:

The proposition is Tru/Oliver/Aflord at the nickel Vs. True/Alford/Poole at the nickel. 

You could argue that we are better with Poole at nickel than with Oliver on the outside, but I love the idea of Alford in the nickel. 

I think the Falcons are going to go with the 3 best options at corner and that's going to be the more experienced guys/