To all who wanted a DT, something to think about...

To all the guys who are not particularly in favor of the Ridley pick. I was one of them in the moment. One thing to keep in mind, our GM TD did say they have 6 to 8 DTs in this draft that they have 1st round grades on. 6 to 8 of them, only 3 were taken in the 1st round. If I'm sitting at 26, 6 picks left in the 1st and I have 6 1st round DTs left on my board and Calvin Ridley, I'd draft Ridley too. Just something to think about, its now the second round and they have 5 DTs on there board with 1st round grades attached to them.

Edited by datchrisb1
4 minutes ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

He said 6-8 DT’s with 1st and 2nd grades, but than Quinn chimed in and said you have some DE’s that can play DT. 

Point is there is 1st round talent left, I would say more than normal. Pull up any best available list and you can literally scroll down about 25 players that you know were considered in the first. Some high in the first.

There's actually so many good DT's left available that I'd be tempted to move up in the second round for OG Will Hernandez...  gonna have to get in front of Denver to do it, probably cost a second this year and next, as well as a sixth this year, but we'd be set at Guard and we could still double dip some fine DT talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year...

2 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

The way things going Hurst maybe, good chance the rest of that list slips into the 3rd. Look at a best available list, its A LOT of 1st round talent left available. 

I'm seeing Hurst as a potential target but we might have to work a trade up a bit to insure that we grab him.  Tomorrow will really be interesting as was our first pick in Ridley (which I loved).

2 minutes ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

I do not see any 1st round talent but I do see some 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round talent

Depends I guess, you can consider people like Mike Mayock who have Harold Landry top 15, second best edge guy, have heard Isiaiah Oliver and Josh Jackson referred to as the best corner in the draft, Mike Gesicki has been highly rated, never seen a mock without Will Hernandez in the first round. Donte Jackson, Lorenzo Carter... At what point did Courtland Sutton ever have a second round grade. It's A LOT of talent left over.

Guess it depends on your opinion in players I guess.

Exactly. No one pick is the key to winning the draft. The key is knowing which positions you can wait, where to suck up value, and where there's about to be a big dropoff in talent. It's an art, not a science.

I mean, this is stuff that fantasy footballers know, so I don't think that TD and DQ, who both are very aggressive at filling needs, are taking somewhat of a luxury pick without a plan for addressing those needs.

As for me, I'm just enjoying being in a place where we can trust Quinn on the D side to keep developing talent, so we can take a luxury in a stud like Ridley and not feel bad about it.

17 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

Right, so small and non athletic 

31 vert, 9'2 broad

That's Orlando Brown bad. Theres a reason he fell so far and why the Ravens, whose wrs consist of Crabtree and john brown, passed on him for a 25 yo TE.

1 hour ago, tldr said:

31 vert, 9'2 broad

That's Orlando Brown bad. Theres a reason he fell so far and why the Ravens, whose wrs consist of Crabtree and john brown, passed on him for a 25 yo TE.

1 hour ago, tldr said:

Ridley is small, old, unathletic and has tiny hands. I'd take bryan/chark over ridley/whoever anyday.

Hands are bigger than Antonio brown, he's taller than Brown, faster than Brown, had a better vertical and a better broad jump. Anything else you wanna cry about??

3 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Depends I guess, you can consider people like Mike Mayock who have Harold Landry top 15, second best edge guy, have heard Isiaiah Oliver and Josh Jackson referred to as the best corner in the draft, Mike Gesicki has been highly rated, never seen a mock without Will Hernandez in the first round. Donte Jackson, Lorenzo Carter... At what point did Courtland Sutton ever have a second round grade. It's A LOT of talent left over.

Guess it depends on your opinion in players I guess.

I was referring to your post in which you were referring to DT’s. 

4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Ridley unathletic, say what?

5563ed01799bc0f128b76c299e719233.png

Well he tested extremely poorly besides 40 and 3 cone. I still loved him though. He was my number 11 player in this draft and he’s either my 1 or 2 receiver in the last 3 classes. His game is just so silky smooth.

Edited by Colin_Pernett

His head-fakes and quick-twitch direction changes make his routes incredible. He’s literally making DB’s trip over their own feet and fall down.  He’s open by 5-10 yards on dozens of his 224 receptions.  He probably has over 150 uncontested receptions because his separation is so outstanding.

I wish I had studied the guy’s film more before this.  He looks like a perfect clone of Antonio Brown.  I just had no clue he would make it anywhere close to 26.  And I really didn’t expect us to pick BPA with our DT needs and Bryan still on the board.

I feel like we virtually have Julio Jones and Antonio Brown as our WR’s at this moment, with Sanu in the slot.  It seems too good to be true, but Ridley looks that freaking good.

And I don’t think we’re done on offense either. 

I can picture us making a move to get Nick Chubb, or maybe one of the outstanding TE’s still available, or Nyheim Hines or Jaylen Samuels/Ryan Nall. Some kind of dynamic offensive weapon... power runner, joker TE, or gadget H-back.

Still need to double-dip DT’s, but think we have some other good targets too.