Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Show what we will likely do vs. what you wish we do

This is what I think we will do:

1-26: DT Taven Bryan

2-58: WR Dante Pettis

3-90: Trading back with someone for additional picks... I'll say Denver gives us 106 and 113 for pick 90. (but honestly, there are 8 teams with multiple picks in 3rd and 4th round, and several more with multiple 5th round picks, and all could reasonably be trade partners with us to pick up more picks)

4-106: RB Kalen Bellage

4-113: DT PJ Hall

4-126: CB DJ Reed

6-200: LB Dorian O'Daniel

7-244: TE Tyler Conklin

7-256: FB Nick Bawden

But this is what I wish we would do:

1-26: LB Leighton Vander-Esch

2-58: RB Nick Chubb

3-90: Trade with Denver for 106 & 113

4-106: DT Folorunso Fatukasi

6-200: WR Javon Wims

Not that I have anything against Duke Riley, I just believe LVE can play SAM, SLB, MIKE, WILL, or even WOLB.  And probably even MLB if Deion Jones were to get injured.  This would free Campbell up to get some Edge rush snaps behind Beasley too.  Right now, if Campbell or Jones goes down for any reason, we're in a world of hurt.  LVE would be a safety net for this while also just improving our general flexibility and quality in the LB corps.

Nick Chubb because I want us to start incorporating a more power run game and have Tevin Coleman play more slot and H-back role.

Chances are we do neither. ;)

I think in the first we're looking at either Bryan or Payne. If the opportunity presents itself we may even trade up to get one of them. If neither are there I think we're open to going a number of different ways.

In the 2nd/3rd I think we will take either Nathan Shepherd or PJ Hall (or both). 

I think we really like Daesean Hamilton as well potentially in the 3rd.

Then in the 6th/7th I wouldn't be surprised to see Korey Cunningham and Jacob Martin be amongst the selections.

Chances are none of that happens, but that's my best educated guess.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

3-90: Trading back with someone for additional picks... I'll say Denver gives us 106 and 113 for pick 90. (but honestly, there are 8 teams with multiple picks in 3rd and 4th round, and several more with multiple 5th round picks, and all could reasonably be trade partners with us to pick up more picks)

Not that I have anything against Duke Riley, I just believe LVE can play SAM, SLB, MIKE, WILL, or even WOLB.  And probably even MLB if Deion Jones were to get injured.  This would free Campbell up to get some Edge rush snaps behind Beasley too.  Right now, if Campbell or Jones goes down for any reason, we're in a world of hurt.  LVE would be a safety net for this while also just improving our general flexibility and quality in the LB corps.

Nick Chubb because I want us to start incorporating a more power run game and have Tevin Coleman play more slot and H-back role.

I like your wish list , but give  me Pettis at 2 and let Chubb go , be perfect.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Uh I like your first draft wayyyyy more lol 

I can't see taking a LB in the first when he'll only be on the field about 30% of the snaps (Jones and Campbell aren't coming off the field in sub packages). 

55 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

I like your wish list , but give  me Pettis at 2 and let Chubb go , be perfect.

I like Pettis a lot too, I just also know that Chubb is going to be really freaking good and could make a huge impact for our offense.

Some don't see it, but he really is that good.

30 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

I can't see taking a LB in the first when he'll only be on the field about 30% of the snaps (Jones and Campbell aren't coming off the field in sub packages). 

The dilemma at LB is that 1. We don't know yet if Duke Riley is going to be a reliable starter at WILL, and 2. If Campbell or Jones gets injured at all, we are totally screwed.

The other thing is, Beasley is moving back to strictly Edge rusher.  No more SAM or LB at all.

Last season, Beasley played almost 100 SAM/OLB snaps.  And when he was in that position, Campbell and Jones played the MIKE and WILL (both played both).  Riley only got about 223 snaps.  If he turns out to still not be reliable, then adding another 100 snaps to him could hurt our defense.  Campbell will have to take the SAM snaps and Riley will get more time at WILL/MIKE.

Personally I think he will have improved over last year.  But that still remains to be seen.  And either way, we need another LB.  We always have 5 LB's dress on our 46.  We only have 4 LB's on the roster at the moment.

I have no idea who DQ/TD will pick. I think the board as a whole is overvaluing the DT position. I think there are only a few types of DT prospect that are good picks in the first round. DQ mostly relied on late-round guys in Seattle, so I'm wondering if he thinks the same way. Bryan/Payne/Vea may be those types of guys, but I don't think it's a slam-dunk that they are. 

Conversely, I don't think TE in the first is a bad idea at all. Look at most of the successful teams around the league -- many of the deadliest have a crazy-good TE. The NFL is, after all, a matchup league. Plus, Sark loves to use TEs, and we probably want two legit starters at the position. Similarly, I'd be fine with a true #1-caliber WR in the first. Wanna talk about making your strengths stronger...

At the end of the day, Evans, Gisecki, Hurst or -- prior to the injury concerns -- Vander-Esch would be my first choices. I'd also be fine with a CB that suits DQ's tastes. Then pick up one of the second-tier DTs in the 3rd or 4th.  

37 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

I have no idea who DQ/TD will pick. I think the board as a whole is overvaluing the DT position. I think there are only a few types of DT prospect that are good picks in the first round. DQ mostly relied on late-round guys in Seattle, so I'm wondering if he thinks the same way. Bryan/Payne/Vea may be those types of guys, but I don't think it's a slam-dunk that they are. 

Conversely, I don't think TE in the first is a bad idea at all. Look at most of the successful teams around the league -- many of the deadliest have a crazy-good TE. The NFL is, after all, a matchup league. Plus, Sark loves to use TEs, and we probably want two legit starters at the position. Similarly, I'd be fine with a true #1-caliber WR in the first. Wanna talk about making your strengths stronger...

At the end of the day, Evans, Gisecki, Hurst or -- prior to the injury concerns -- Vander-Esch would be my first choices. I'd also be fine with a CB that suits DQ's tastes. Then pick up one of the second-tier DTs in the 3rd or 4th.  

I agree with most of your overall gist. It's also why I won't give up hope if all 3 of those 1st round DTs are gone. Could always go TE/LB round 1 and get Hurst/couple of DTs something like:

1st: Gesicki or VE

2nd: DT Hurst

3rd: WR

4th: DT remaining