TATF decides 2018: Pick 26 if it's down to these 2...

Which DT prospect does TATF like the most?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. If they were to fall (not a trade up for Vea) which of these two do you want more? (List reasons if you want)

• Payne
    • Bryan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just believe we could fill a serviceable 1T rotational guy in round 2 or 3 and land a potential stud in our pass rush packages in Bryan in year 1. Potentially becoming/growing into a full-time 3T that can play 5T; depending on his size in a few years perhaps even 1T in sub-packages. Get a rotation around Grady. We tried Poe. It was better, but it wasn't lethal.

If we go Payne because he is there I think he can grow into a solid starter, but I don't know what the overall ceiling is on him. He's so young as it is. Perhaps he has more upside? Both players were double-teamed in college last year. Can't go wrong, but I'm a stickler for improving our pass rush. Harder to do; IMO, than securing run DT.

So, if we grab Bryan first then we draft a 1T later. Perhaps one that could play 3T at times and sign a vet for depth after the draft/post June cuts. Suddenly, DT could be better than last year.:munch:

However, I want to hear arguments on if Payne can become a better pass rusher than Bryan. BJ Hill or PJ Hall in rounds 2 or 3 respectively; unless the team sees other prospects like Shepherd as more favored/available where we'd like to pick them.

Conversely, we could skip DT in the first round and secure 2 after. This thread is mainly about if it came down to both being on the board at 26 or if you'd want 1 over the other there.

While Bryan is athletic, he has lousy technique.  Quinn can coach him up, but that will take time. 

Payne is bigger and stronger.  He is able to anchor against the run and he is also capable of pushing the pocket.  I prefer a player like that.  I happen to think that we can draft a quick 3-T in the third round or even later.  Examples:  Jullian Taylor, McIntosh, and possibly Hall.  To my knowledge, there are no 1-T DT's with Payne's athleticism.  

It’s a fantasy poll...Payne will Be long gone by pick 26 because he’s more nfl ready.

but Bryan is still the one with the most upside. Strong as an ox like Payne, but with the speed Payne doesn’t have to translate together with that power.......and with a higher motor as well.

so I voted Bryan. Hope we come right back and take either shepherd or hall in round 2-3 as well.

1 hour ago, Mega Flare said:

This guy gets it.

this is also the guy who told us James Stone would be our starting center for at least 10 years...so there's that

I voted Bryan, because I think he's more coach's style of player and has more up side in the long run. He's not known for taking plays off. Technique can be taught, athletic ability can't be taught, and he's way more athletic

Its close and I've flipped flopped on all these DTs throughout the draft process but I find myself hoping Bryan is the guy that slips in all the mock drafts I've been reviewing. 

Bryan has the highest upside out of all the DTs imo and most importantly his ability to rush the passer and get us off the field on 3rd down is something I value very highly. Its a passing leauge and rushing the QB is as important as its ever been. 

Beasley Bryan Jarrett Takk on 3rd downs would be so much fun.

16 minutes ago, papachaz said:

this is also the guy who told us James Stone would be our starting center for at least 10 years...so there's that

I voted Bryan, because I think he's more coach's style of player and has more up side in the long run. He's not known for taking plays off. Technique can be taught, athletic ability can't be taught, and he's way more athletic

Lol, not gonna lie: I was a big Stone fan at the time too.