Deon Predicts Our 1st Round Pick

Since my mock would look similar to many on here, I went a different route and just tried to lockdown our potential 1st round pick based on who will be available and who we met with. 

The only player we’d trade up for is Vea and I don’t see that happening. He’ll be gone early to either Wash or MIA. Trade down out of the first just isn’t TD’s style nor is it easy to do. So, I predict we draft at 26. 

So now, which 25 players get picked before us? 

Stone-cold locks (I’m confident to eliminate these 13 players before we pick):

QB: Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen

DT: Vea

CB: Ward 

S: Minkah, Derwin

DE: Chubb

RB: Barkley

OL: Nelson

LB: Roquan, Edmunds

Probably Gone (reasonably confident will be gone - 4):

Payne, Lamar Jax, Davenport, Ridley or Moore.

So this leaves 8 players to be picked before us out of these 21: 

Hurst, Bryan, Jaire, Oliver, Landry, Mcglinchy, Hernandez, Wynn, Miller, Daniels, Ragnow, Evans, LVE, Ridley or Moore (which one wasn’t picked before), Kirk, Josh Jackson, Hughes, Hayden Hurst, Goedert, Geisicki, Guice. 

From those it would be unprecedented I think to not have a single OT go top 25, a 2nd WR or G or both could certainly go, at least one TE, maybe another CB or even 2. There’s also picks that come out of nowhere. 

So with 21 guys and 8 picks, I think we’ll have 3-4 options at least. We tend to draft for need and I don’t think we’ll draft a player that doesn’t at least have a path to starting. This to me makes OL and TE are our backup backup plans. WR3 - well we didn’t meet with any 1st round WRs.

Our clearest need is DT - immediate starter. CB has clear path to starting NB. LB is open only if they don’t believe in Riley.

So in order: DT, CB, LB, OL, TE

From the remaining players we met with, this leaves Bryan, Jaire, Oliver, Evans, LVE, some of OL listed above, Hayden Hurst.

So at 26, this might be what’s left of our draft board:

1. Bryan

2. Jaire Alexander, Oliver 

3. LVE

4. Evans 

5. Miller, Mcglinchy, Wynn, Hernandez, Ragnow, Daniels 

So, I predict we draft Bryan. If he’s gone, Jaire. If he’s gone, LVE. 

We will get one of those 3. 

EDIT: Typing on mobile and yes I spelled my name wrong and can’t fix it. 

Edited by NeonDeion

2 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

If Bryan is on the board I think he's the pick. After that I think we're open with going a number of different directions, including hopefully trading down.

The only way I see us getting any value to trade down is if Ljax is still on board, but I don’t think he will be. I just think if TD tries to trade down, he won’t get any offers. 

3 minutes ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

Came here wanting to see what the real Deon thought- you know the guy that played for the falcons- instead got a draft that I have seen a thousand times. 

Lol sorry to disappoint. I’m sure you can google his actual picks (btw it does have my handle directly below the title before you click)

Edited by NeonDeion

19 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

The only way I see us getting any value to trade down is if Ljax is still on board, but I don’t think he will be. I just think if TD tries to trade down, he won’t get any offers. 

Well we're in a pretty good spot for any team wanting a QB (Jackson or Rudolph) being right before the Saints. 

As we get closer to draft day, Bryan is becoming the guy I like and hope we get. I wasn’t a huge fan in the beginning. My top (reasonable) prospects for us are, in order:

1. Davenport, EDGE

2. Bryan, DL

3. Payne, DL

4. Vander Esch, LB

5. Alexander, CB

I am not sleeping on LJax to NE at 23 if he is still there. Brady wouldn’t be happy, but B.B. is like honey badger, he don’t give a sht!

He and Allen are enigmas that could go anywhere in the first.

remember when Rodgers was one of two to go one overall, then fell to twenties once SF took Smith? I could see Allen have a similar fall. Very inaccurate at a low competition, and owned by good programs...that has to scare teams. If CLE takes a different QB at 1 he could be in for a long Thursday night.

5 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

We didn’t meet with any first round WRs

Dante Pettis is a guy who could crack the top 40. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daesean Hamilton go a lot higher than currently projected. 

I'm not advocating WR in the first, I'd rather we focus on the trenches but stranger things have happened. I predict a lot of surprises at the back end of round 1 - there always are.

6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Dante Pettis is a guy who could crack the top 40. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daesean Hamilton go a lot higher than currently projected. 

I'm not advocating WR in the first, I'd rather we focus on the trenches but stranger things have happened. I predict a lot of surprises at the back end of round 1 - there always are.

Pettis would be an awful reach in the first

7 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Is it wrong to wish we move up for Landry? Could we still satisfy run stoppers/rotational pieces next to Grady and have exceptional rotation at DE? My gut says it's something DQ and TD would do. Rest is how far up the cost would be of course.

Move up tho? And not even for a need. He’d just be a nice addition,  but moving up for anything other than a DT has to be an absolute stud like Roquan.

9 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

As we get closer to draft day, Bryan is becoming the guy I like and hope we get. I wasn’t a huge fan in the beginning. My top (reasonable) prospects for us are, in order:

1. Davenport, EDGE

2. Bryan, DL

3. Payne, DL

4. Vander Esch, LB

5. Alexander, CB

Care to sell me on Bryan?  Personally, I'm just not seeing it...  Would rather move up for Payne than wait on Taven...

6 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Care to sell me on Bryan?  Personally, I'm just not seeing it...  Would rather move up for Payne than wait on Taven...

JJ Watt is a laser-guided rocket missle. Bryan is.....a missle. 

He’s got the physical tools and athleticism. He’s extremely explosive. All things that can’t be taught. 

He’s extremely raw, but maybe DQ  can add the “laser-guide”.

Arguably Payne and Bryan haven't had results in college stat wise. Arguably both were primarily double-teamed. Guess what won't happen as rookies next to Grady? Taven has more raw/untapped ability and Payne is more 'youngest of the bunch' with more time to grow into a producer. Both have a better shot health wise than Peria Jerry that's for sure. I was more impressed with Taven's measurables and overall character being a fit. 1 gap system is perfect for him. Let him come in as a pass rusher inside and draft/sign a cheap 2 down run defender? :shrug:

ADDED: Further, I don't think either will fail hard and can at least replace Hageman. So, you at least get a 3rd DT rotational piece. That's a worst case scenario from an optimistic standpoint. 

Edited by Ergo Proxy

4 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

JJ Watt is a laser-guided rocket missle. Bryan is.....a missle. 

He’s got the physical tools and athleticism. He’s extremely explosive. All things that can’t be taught. 

He’s extremely raw, but maybe DQ  can add the “laser-guide”.

I keep seeing this, and I keep having nightmares of the "extremely raw" Peria Jerry, JA98 and Hageman types... is this what we really want in a first round pick?  Aren't the "extremely raw" guys supposed to go in rounds 4-7?

Heard Mark Schlereth say today he'd take a football player over an athlete every time, because not all athletes can play football...