The King Has Mocked - Everyone Else Is Doing It [Final]

The more I look at this draft, the more I realize that our pick will be more valuable to another team than it will be to Atlanta. The Falcons need to address DT early, but there won't be one worthy of our pick available when we get on the clock. The other needs that we have like CB, WR, etc. aren't dire situations requiring immediately injections of talent. For this reason I see the best route is to trade down a bit for a team looking to jump ahead of the last few teams picking at the end of round one.

In this scenario we see Taven Bryan, Jaire Alexander, and Leighton Vander Esch have all come off the board before our pick. Indianapolis, having taken Bradley Chubb earlier in the night, see that they have another chance to fortify their front seven if they can get ahead of New Orleans and Pittsburgh to add linebacker Rashaan Evans to their team. Here's how the trade boils down:

• IND Receives:
    • Round 1, Pick 26 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
    • Round 3, Pick 90
  • ATL Receives:
    • Round 2, Pick 36
    • Round 3, Pick 67
    • Round 5, Pick 140

Atlanta ends up with three picks in the top 67 and adds a missing 5th rounder by moving back just ten spots, still in striking range of some of their targeted prospects. Now let's take a look at what the Falcons draft could end up looking like.

Draft:

• Round 2, Pick 36 - Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
  • Height: 6’1” Weight: 190 lbs.
    • Scout: “Oliver possesses an outstanding combination of size, speed and length and those traits are highly coveted by NFL general managers. There are coverage holes in Oliver's game and he needs to play with increased toughness, but he's just scratching the surface of what his talent could allow him to do on the next level with more experience and technique work. Oliver has a high ceiling as a bump-and-run, lockdown corner, but might benefit from a limited role his rookie season.”
    • Jigsaw: Oliver will not be gifted playing time in Atlanta and will take some lumps when he does. With veterans like Trufant, Alford, and Poole making Oliver earn every snap to line up against Julio and Sanu, it’ll be a trial by fire and he’ll be all the better for it by the time he does earn his spot among the ranks.

• Round 2, Pick 58 - BJ Hill, DT, NC State
  • Height: 6’4” Weight: 315 lbs.
    • Scout: “Hill is a one-gapping, upfield defensive tackle with decent athleticism who seems to be able to find the football at an adequate rate despite lacking some play strength. While Hill's production has been solid, he will have to develop more strength at the point of attack or become a more explosive upfield player to set himself apart and become a rotational defensive tackle.”
    • Jigsaw: Developing strength shouldn’t be a problem for Hill entering the NFL weight program, as his body isn’t nearly maxed out yet. Though he will never be as stout as a Vince Wilfork type, Hill can certainly become an anchor for our line whether beside or behind superstar Grady Jarrett.

• Round 3, Pick 67 - Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
  • Height: 6’1” Weight: 192 lbs.
    • Scout: “Solid secondary receiving option who has spent time on his craft and has the ability to attack and uncover on all three levels. Pettis lacks physicality and could struggle to handle in-your-face press corners, so he may see snaps from the slot. While his punt return talent and sharp route-running certainly help his chances, league sources believe he's going to have to play with much more toughness to reach starting status in the league.”
    • Jigsaw: It shouldn’t take long for Pettis to unseat Justin Hardy as our starting slot receiver. While Hardy is known for his reliable hands, Pettis’ speed and route running will give him plenty more opportunities to make plays in the Falcons offense. Adding insult to injury in Hardy’s case, Pettis can also compete for the returning job that Freak Magic has his eyes set on.

• Round 4, Pick 126 - Folorunso Fatukasi, DT, UConn
  • Height: 6’4” Weight: 315 lbs.
    • Scout: “Fatukasi is raw but talented and offers a well-built, versatile defender who can be played at a variety of positions by teams who employ varied defensive fronts. He needs to improve at the point of attack, but that could happen if he's asked to slant less and improves technique as a two-gapper. Fatukasi's flashes of power and disruption could be foreshadowing a future as a quality NFL starter with the ability to play on passing downs if he can reach his potential.”
    • Jigsaw: Foley is a player that I’ve only just recently begun to watch after seeing that the Falcons had shown interested in him. Like Hill, who we drafted two rounds prior, Foley will need to get better at the point of attack but shows Hageman-like bursts of disruption that has to make our coaching staff salivate at the raw potential that could land on our roster come draft day.

• Round 5, Pick 140 - Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin
  • Height: 6’2” Weight: 238 lbs.
    • Scout: “It doesn't take much tape work to be impressed by Cichy's instincts and quickness to flow to the ball. It does, however, take a lot of searching to find what you need to study Cichy since he didn't play in the Badger's last 20 games due to injury. When healthy, Cichy's intelligence and consistency are big attractions at the position, but his lack of explosiveness and durability concerns could hurt his draft stock. Cichy projects as an NFL backup who will help immediately on special teams.”
    • Jigsaw: Though considerable draft resources have landed Atlanta some quality starters at the position, the Falcons don’t have much in the way of depth at linebacker in 2018. This pick will not only help us aid that problem, but will also help fix our disastrous special teams showings of last year. Cichy is a hard-working locker room guy who could be a Worrilow-like presence on our defense when called upon.

• Round 6, Pick 200 - Alex McGough, QB, Florida International
  • Height: 6’2” Weight: 220 lbs.
    • Scout: “A lot of teams around the league are working out McGough, and he has impressed with his arm talent in private workouts. He's a sleeper quarterback who has generated a buzz and could end up being a mid-Day 3 pick. McGough has some arm talent and is athletically gifted. In 2017, he completed 65 percent of his passes for 2,798 yards with 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Unfortunately, McGough broke his collarbone in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl. That injury prevented playing in an all-star game.”
    • Jigsaw: The Falcons have to find a new backup to groom behind Ryan. Schaub has done all he can for us and is no longer needed given the OC change and his price tag. McGough will benefit from sitting behind Ryan and being coached by Knapp and could conceivably be Matt’s backup for the rest of Ice’s career.

• Round 7, Pick 244 - Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State
  • Height: 6’1” Weight: 244 lbs.
    • Scout: “Quarterback turned fullback who has bought into the physicality of the fullback position and has the mangled nose to prove it. Bawden has good size and is a competent pass-catcher. The market for old-school fullbacks has shrunk, but he has the ability to find a roster home as a contributing lead blocker and pass catcher on play-action.”
    • Jigsaw: Did anyone else miss Patrick DiMarco this past year? I know I certainly did and here’s a step back in that direction. SDSU produces some of the best running backs, and has been dubbed RBU. Taking a FB from such a productive rushing offense makes a lot of sense. Bawden is ready to be a lead blocker at the next level, and having displayed some receiving ability in college he will make for a very useful addition to the roster.

• Round 7, Pick 256 - Chase Edmonds, RB, Fordham
  • Height: 5’9” Weight: 205 lbs.
    • Scout: “Edmonds is a highly productive runner with a compact frame, good agility and plus athletic traits. While he flourished against a lower level of competition, he may find that he's unable to beat NFL defenses with burst alone. Edmonds needs to play with more consistent pace and decisiveness to reach his potential. He has the talent to fit into a committee approach but could be limited to more outside running duties.”
    • Jigsaw: Edmonds was a four year starter for the Rams and was extremely productive in that role. Another small back may not be what the doctors on TATF ordered, but the Falcons have shown interest and may find ways of utilizing his talents even without the threat of him displacing/replacing Freeman or Coleman down the line.

Roster (53):

Offense (26)

• QB: Matt Ryan, Alex McGough
  • RB: Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terrence Magee, Chase Edmonds
  • FB: Nick Bawden
  • WR1: Julio Jones, Marvin Hall
  • WR2: Mohamed Sanu, Nick Williams*
  • WR3: Dante Pettis, Justin Hardy
  • TE: Austin Hooper, Eric Saubert, Logan Paulsen
  • LT: Jake Matthews, Ty Sambrailo
  • LG: Andy Levitre, Sean Harlow
  • OC: Alex Mack, Ben Garland
  • RG: Brandon Fusco, Wes Schweitzer
  • RT: Ryan Schraeder, Austin Pasztor

Defense (24)

• DE: Vic Beasley, Brooks Reed
  • DT: Grady Jarrett, Folorunso Fatukasi
  • DT: BJ Hill, Jack Crawford
  • DE: Takk McKinley, Derrick Shelby
  • SLB: Duke Riley, Jack Cichy
  • MLB: Deion Jones, LaRoy Reynolds*
  • WLB: DeVondre Campbell, Kemal Ishmael
  • CB: Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Isaiah Oliver, Brian Poole, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Leon McFadden
  • SS: Keanu Neal, Justin Bethel
  • FS: Ricardo Allen, Damontae Kazee

Special Teams (3)

• K: Matt Bryant
  • P: Matt Bosher
  • LS: Josh Harris

* = Player was a FA but has not yet found another team. Comes back to camp and wins roster spot.

In Closing..

Well, there it is guys. As stated in the title, this will be my last mock of the 2018 draft season but the fun is not over yet. I hope to be joining some of you good brothers on draft night but until then I hope you enjoyed the read. As always, I look forward to any feedback and discussions brought on by the presented scenario.

Reminder: Please don't quote this post for your replies. A lot of users are on the mobile platform and it's a nightmare to scroll through the page with all that unnecessary quoting.

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Not bad man I don't like the trade back for Oliver myself but I love Fatukasi I too have just started watching him I think he's stout as a mother hard to move has violent hands I like him a lot.

Good job man.

The trade back isn’t for Oliver specifically, of course, as you don’t know who’s going to be there at your pick. I think he would represent BPA on our board, however, and we’ve shown interest.

I don't mind the trade back, but I see no urgency to trade when you only net gain a fifth and move up in the third and essentially drop back 10 spots. I wouldn't go back unless we netted a third or fourth at the minimum. In fact, I'd just take Evans if that was the BPA. 

I get it, but that's just not a lot of value gained.  

Oliver is a type of cb--who could play FS for our system. So I get the pick and it's logical

Pettis, Hill and Bawden all fit. The LB Cichy has medical concerns and isn't overly fast. he reminds me of Paul Worrilow with slightly better athleticism, but more injury concerns.

I like the DT picks, but and this is me, I'm unsure where Hill will go and ditto for Fatukasi. Maybe a round lower each? maybe not. The backup QB doesn't make sense unless we are cutting Schaub, which at this point you gotta wonder if we are.

Nice overall mock. Still don't like the trade.