Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Braves at Reds

624 posts in this topic

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Folty got yanked because he gave up a HR in the inning after a walk, gave up a single and was at 103 pitches.

To me that's just lame. Snitker should have let him fight through it. I didn't even see Hernandez come out to cool him off a bit.

He's got to put a little more faith in his starters to carry them deeper into a game. He'll never know their toughness. Oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, E. T. said:

To me that's just lame. Snitker should have let him fight through it. I didn't even see Hernandez come out to cool him off a bit.

He's got to put a little more faith in his starters to carry them deeper into a game. He'll never know their toughness. Oh well

The way we've all watched baseball is over. Metrics show that players are exponentially more likely to excel against pitchers the third time through the lineup. So, at the first sign of trouble, most managers are going to yank the starter. Whether we agree with the logic or not, it's the way baseball works now.

AEFalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AEFalcon said:

Seems like the umpiring is getting worse and worse every year

It drives me nuts, because tennis can do a perfect job of calculating the trajectory of a ball. We could do that with baseball, but we use petulant umpires to take on what's an impossible job anyway. The *best* umpires have accuracy in the upper 70s in terms of percentage. It's unacceptable yet MLB accepts it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, E. T. said:

To me that's just lame. Snitker should have let him fight through it. I didn't even see Hernandez come out to cool him off a bit.

He's got to put a little more faith in his starters to carry them deeper into a game. He'll never know their toughness. Oh well

Or maybe Folty can learn to be more economical in the early innings so he's not over 100 pitches before the 6th inning is over? I'm normally with you about letting the pitchers more rope, which he did in Folty's last game. Like I said, Folty was at like 99 pitches last game and Snitker gave him one more inning. He did the same thing with Newcomb against the Cubs. But I think he made the right call to pull Folty tonight. Newcomb against the Rockies I was pissed when he pulled him. He should have gotten more rope. But I disagree with you tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jidady said:

The way we've all watched baseball is over. Metrics show that players are exponentially more likely to excel against pitchers the third time through the lineup. So, at the first sign of trouble, most managers are going to yank the starter. Whether we agree with the logic or not, it's the way baseball works now.

Valid points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jidady said:

The "strike" on that 3-0 pitch to Markakis was 8 inches outside.

And there were a few pitches by Folty that were strikes that were not called...

Even though Folty was wild...I knew it was going to be a tough night..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folty's pitch count by starts this year.

  • PHI - 5 IP - 92 Pitches, 57 Strikes (62.0%)
  • WAS - 5 1/3 IP - 95 Pitches, 54 Strikes (56.8%)
  • at WAS - 5 IP - 104 Pitches, 65 Strikes (62.5%)
  • PHI - 6 IP - 105 Pitches, 60 Strikes (57.1%)
  • at CIN - 4 2/3 IP, 103 Pitches, 61 Strikes (59.2%)

Can't blame Snitker for Folty's inability to throw more strikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jidady said:

The way we've all watched baseball is over. Metrics show that players are exponentially more likely to excel against pitchers the third time through the lineup. So, at the first sign of trouble, most managers are going to yank the starter. Whether we agree with the logic or not, it's the way baseball works now.

Strategic evolution. Gotcha brother.

 

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

And there were a few pitches by Folty that were strikes that were not called...

Even though Folty was wild...I knew it was going to be a tough night..

Yeah, guys who have a reputation for being wild aren't going to get calls. And hotheads aren't going to get calls. Folty's both. He's self-destructive.

RING OF HONOR likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites