Artys Arryn Mock Draft 2.0

This has been a fun lead-up to the draft. I think this is the first year that I haven't really had a "my guy" for the Falcons first round pick. I like a lot of our options but I'm not beating the table for anyone in particular. That said, I trust DQ and TD to find the pieces we need and I have developed this mock draft with our known visits in mind. This will likely be my final mock draft before the draft, not that I do a ton but I think I'm pretty satisfied with it and I'd be thrilled if things fell this way. Without further ado,

With the 26th pick the Falcons select Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

The Falcons need a DT, however they don't have to reach for one. Bryan, Vea, and Payne are likely to be off the board by 26th which will cause other players to fall. Jaire is a ballhawking CB who will step in immediately as our starting nickel CB. Poole, while a fantastic tackler, has proven to be a liability in coverage. Teams have abused his lack of speed with crossing routes and is something the Falcons defense needs to shore up. Jaire is a smooth athlete that can stick stride for stride with some of the fastest WRs in the NFL. He also has the ability to kick outside in case of injury or in a couple of seasons if Tru or Rocky walks. Lastly, I love Jaire's attitude and think he brings the right mentality to the defense.  

With the 58th pick the Falcons select Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hayes State

With the second pick, the Falcons address their most noticeable gap in the roster, DT. Despite Shepherd's age, he is still raw and is barely scratching the surface of what he is capable of. Simply put, Shepherd is built like a brick chit house. He uses his strength to overwhelm interior lineman and has the athleticism to make a play once he is in the backfield. Falcons also seem very interested in Shepherd as they have met with him multiple times. I think this pick could easily be BJ Hill but I see Shepherd as having the higher ceiling.

With the 90th pick in the Falcons select Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

This is the first pick that the Falcons may not have worked out. However, Anthony Miller is my personal favorite WR in this class and I think he is insane value here in the 3rd. Miller has the toughness and competitiveness that the front office craves and has the ability to wreck havoc from the slot. Every time I watch him, he reminds me Steve Smith. He knows how to gain separation in his routes and is willing to lay everything out to make the play on the ball. He has been ultra productive in Memphis' pass happy offense, with nearly 1500 yards and 18TDs last season alone. 

With the 126th pick the Falcons select PJ Hall, DT, Sam Houston State

http://www.patriots.com/video/2018/02/25/college-highlights-pj-hall-dt-sam-houston-state 

The Falcons continue to address the defensive line with the addition of PJ Hall. Some people have questioned whether we would double dip at DT or not and I think it depends on who is available. If PJ Hall is still around during the fourth, I think it will be a no brainer for our FO. If PJ Hall had to be summed up in one word, it would be production. In 2017, Hall had 60 tackles, 19 TFLs, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, and blocked kicks. Over his career he had 14 blocked kicks in total. While it was against lesser competition, Hall consistently dominated for all four years. It wouldn't surprise me if we take him at 90 but I love the value here in the fourth. 

With the 200th pick the Falcons select Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State

The Falcons need both a 3rd running back as well as a FB and I believe Nall can fill both of these needs. We know the FO desires a powerback after the failed experiment that was Brian Hill. Ryan Nall is a trial to bring down and had extensive yards after contact. Nall will start as our FB but will also be able to be the main ball carrier in short yardage situations. I also like his hands out of the backfield as we occasionally like to target the FB in the passing game. 

With the 244th pick the Falcons select Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia 

As a Canes fan, I can attest to the potential of Kurt Benkert. He absolutely carved Miami's defense last year and nearly led his team to a major upset. I think Benkert can develop into an above average backup QB, which we haven't had in quite some time. 

With the 256th pick the Falcons select Korey Cunningham, OT, Cincinnati  

Falcons wrap up the draft with a depth Oline pick. Korey seems to have good athleticism. He needs to hit the weight room and needs to develop more as technique but has some potential upside to develop into solid depth.

Let me know what you guys think. 

Edited by Artys Arryn

I'd also like to add that I'm a huge Shaquem Griffin fan and think he would be a fantastic OLB. He's the prospect I'm most disappointed that we haven't been linked to as I think he embodies competitiveness and toughness, not to mention having speed and "arriving violently". 

43 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I like it too but I think we draft a line backer at some point.  

4 hours ago, Artys Arryn said:

I'd also like to add that I'm a huge Shaquem Griffin fan and think he would be a fantastic OLB. He's the prospect I'm most disappointed that we haven't been linked to as I think he embodies competitiveness and toughness, not to mention having speed and "arriving violently". 

I’m about 99% positive we will come out of this draft with a LB based on workouts and team needs. I think somewhere we trade back to get the extra pick needed.

Positions we will draft: LB, DT (x2), WR, RB, KR/PR, FB, DB, QB

When you start looking at that list you start wondering what type of guys can fill multiple roles and be good on special teams. This points me more towards a guy like Nall instead of Bawden, so love that pick. I think instead of Miller, who we have no connection to, although we were at Memphis Pro Day (Avery), I think Nyheim Hines is the guy for us. A gadget slot guy that is a 3rd RB and plays ST with KR/PR ability. If we go WR, it will be one that has done some type of ST returns. With that also said, if we go DB at some point, it’s either gonna be a DB with ST return ability or a DB that can play DB in multiple areas: slot and outside or S and CB. Lastly, I think we do end up with a QB but I think this is the position we may try to get in UDFA? IDK. We as fans think it’s as easy to replace Schaub with a rookie QB to save $3 million but I don’t see our FO and coaching staff leaning that way. It took Matt Ryan, a Top 3 pick and seasoned veteran QB, 2 seasons to learn this offense, so while I think we are interested in a backup QB, I find it very unlikely we go into the season without Schaub on the roster. IMHO

Great work! Love it all and I’d be very happy with this draft!

2 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I’m about 99% positive we will come out of this draft with a LB based on workouts and team needs. I think somewhere we trade back to get the extra pick needed.

Positions we will draft: LB, DT (x2), WR, RB, KR/PR, FB, DB, QB

When you start looking at that list you start wondering what type of guys can fill multiple roles and be good on special teams. This points me more towards a guy like Nall instead of Bawden, so love that pick. I think instead of Miller, who we have no connection to, although we were at Memphis Pro Day (Avery), I think Nyheim Hines is the guy for us. A gadget slot guy that is a 3rd RB and plays ST with KR/PR ability. If we go WR, it will be one that has done some type of ST returns. With that also said, if we go DB at some point, it’s either gonna be a DB with ST return ability or a DB that can play DB in multiple areas: slot and outside or S and CB. Lastly, I think we do end up with a QB but I think this is the position we may try to get in UDFA? IDK. We as fans think it’s as easy to replace Schaub with a rookie QB to save $3 million but I don’t see our FO and coaching staff leaning that way. It took Matt Ryan, a Top 3 pick and seasoned veteran QB, 2 seasons to learn this offense, so while I think we are interested in a backup QB, I find it very unlikely we go into the season without Schaub on the roster. IMHO

Great work! Love it all and I’d be very happy with this draft!

Thanks for the detailed feedback! 

I agree we probably target LB at some point. If I'd picked up another pick somewhere it would have definitely been at this position. I think it's interesting that we have mostly targeted 1st round and 6th-7th round guys without being linked to the mid round prospects. Shaquem Griffin is my preference (don't want to use a 1st on one when we are so often in nickel)

You are right that someone like KeKe Coutee is more likely than Miller due to the ST ability. Also like Nyheim Hines, his frame just scares me a little for the NFL. I do think in a couple years people will be scratching their heads about why Miller went so low though. 

The reason I went Benkert rather than an UDFA is mostly due to our Private 30 workout with him (along with Tanner Lee). That shows me we have real interest in drafting the backup QB rather than waiting and jockying for an UDFA. We aren't the most attractive spot for UDFA QBs since Matt Ryan is an ironman and Schaub is an established veteran.

3 hours ago, stizz said:

Now this is a draft. Don't like the waste on a QB or random OT at the end. Would like to use one of those picks for an outstanding ST contributor or gadget guy. Good stuff though early on.

Thanks man! Just to note, Korey isn't completely random. We have had him in for a workout (as well as looking at various other late round Oline prospects). 

As for Benkert I really like his abilities and like I said, I think he has a good chance of becoming an above average backup. Check out his highlights if you haven't yet.

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

When i saw your first pick I knew I would hate it. But I saw your other picks and this is a very very strong mock. Not a fan of a CB in the first but man this mock might change that. Good job

Thanks man. It took me a little bit to get on board with a CB in the first so I totally get it. The argument I would make is that if the top 3 DTs are gone, then the last thing we want to do is reach and miss out on an elite prospect. So if we don't got DT in the first, what position do we target? OLB, CB, and WR should all have good value here. WR seems silly when this class has plenty of depth but little WR1 potential. OLB makes sense but because we are in nickel 70% of plays, Evans or LVE would be on a low pitch count. If we didn't got DT round one, what position do you think we address?

7 minutes ago, Mega Flare said:

We need to focus on DT before anything else, although the CB and WR mentioned look promising.  We need a lock-down D line to be top priority.

I agree that goal number 1 going in is to bolster DT. I just think we can manage that and get high quality players at other positions along the way. If Bryan or Payne are there at 26 though, I could see that being the pick, our second rounder staying the same, and targeting CB in the fourth. 

3 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I agree that goal number 1 going in is to bolster DT. I just think we can manage that and get high quality players at other positions along the way. If Bryan or Payne are there at 26 though, I could see that being the pick, our second rounder staying the same, and targeting CB in the fourth. 

Fair point.  As long as we get motor guys that can contribute from day one, with minimal nutpunching mistakes, I'm onboard.

Not a huge fan of this one. Not against picking secondary in the first but I would take the safety from Stanford. I do not think we will double dip at DT either. We would be relying on a lot of inexperience if we do that.

Also not a fan of the WR in this one. Miller has a tendency to body catch too much. I think he will be a good slot receiver in the league just not sure he is a good fit here. Give me a WR with a bigger body and a natural hands catcher. With Miller's understanding of the position.

14 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

Not a huge fan of this one. Not against picking secondary in the first but I would take the safety from Stanford. I do not think we will double dip at DT either. We would be relying on a lot of inexperience if we do that.

Also not a fan of the WR in this one. Miller has a tendency to body catch too much. I think he will be a good slot receiver in the league just not sure he is a good fit here. Give me a WR with a bigger body and a natural hands catcher. With Miller's understanding of the position.

We double dipped with Tru and Rocky and that worked out really well. As for Justin Reid, I just don't see him having the skillset to be a single deep safety in the NFL. Don't think he could take Allen's spot.

Also, the receiver you are describing may not be in this class, and if he was he wouldn't be available in the third. 

48 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Thanks man. It took me a little bit to get on board with a CB in the first so I totally get it. The argument I would make is that if the top 3 DTs are gone, then the last thing we want to do is reach and miss out on an elite prospect. So if we don't got DT in the first, what position do we target? OLB, CB, and WR should all have good value here. WR seems silly when this class has plenty of depth but little WR1 potential. OLB makes sense but because we are in nickel 70% of plays, Evans or LVE would be on a low pitch count. If we didn't got DT round one, what position do you think we address?

I'm a big believer in the front 7. So I would go with an OLB if possible. Harold Landry may be there. I like Evans as well

22 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I'm a big believer in the front 7. So I would go with an OLB if possible. Harold Landry may be there. I like Evans as well

I'd be shocked in Landry was still on the board. I like Evans a lot too. I just lean Jaire for snap count reasons.