Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks offseason news

153 posts in this topic

TP giving back to the community!!

NBA's Taurean Prince to hold basketball clinic in San Angelo

Paul Harris | San Angelo Standard-TimesUpdated 15 minutes ago

gosanangelo.com  

Taurean Prince, who plays for the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, will hold a basketball clinic in San Angelo this summer.

The camp will be held June 9 at Lincoln Middle School, which Prince attended before moving to San Antonio before his freshman year.

Not long after, he was a budding star at Earl Warren High School and attended Baylor University before being drafted No. 12 overall in the 2016 NBA Draft.

Sam Sheridan, the Director of Basketball Operations at Kids Hoops, said his organization is partnering with Prince to hold several low-cost camps.

San Angelo was an obvious choice, Sheridan said, because of Prince's connections to the city. Prince's father, Anthony, is a San Angelo Central High School graduate.

Early registration for the clinic is $45 by April 30. Regular registration is $55. Ages 5-18 are welcome.

© Gannett 2018

I definitely see Schlenk trying to get mccaw. 

I'd like to see Harrell on this team. I've been a big fan going back to Louisville. 

12 minutes ago, WOR said:

I definitely see Schlenk trying to get mccaw. 

I'd like to see Harrell on this team. I've been a big fan going back to Louisville. 

I would not mind pairing Parker with our draft pick.  

3 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I would not mind pairing Parker with our draft pick.  

If he's cheap I see no reason not to at least try. 

But meh. I think someone will try to pay him. And no thanks to a big contract for a guy that plays zero defense and gets hurt a lot. 

Im a Duke fan and would love Parker, but I ain't trying to pay him lol. 

A name I'm watching is Will Barton. He seems to love Denver but wants to start, and they have Gary Harris at the 2. So we'll see if he wants to stay or start, cause I don't think he gets both. 

He's improved his defense and assists and had a stay line of 16/5/4 off the bench with 37% from 3. He bumped that to 19ppg when he started for Harris. 

I don't see any SGs worth their salt at our positions in this draft. 

He turned down a 4/42 contract in the fall. So idk what it would take. We're one of like 5 teams with any money. I'd say that's gonna make it impossible to predict contracts this off-season after seeing 5/75 contracts thrown out like hotcakes recently. 

We have 18 mill as it stands and up to 27 if we get rid of cap holds. I know Schlenk wants to auction that off in return for draft picks. Which I'm fine with. Getting Barton would really take a chunk out of our ability to do that which is why I'm not sure we make a play for him. 

My top guy us Rodney hood. But he's an RFA. What do the cavs do if Lebron bolts? Will they try to be competitive and match offers, or go back into tank mode? Again, are the Hawks actively looking to SIGN young starters? Or do they just want to draft them all? 

But a 2 guard with his shooting ability? Yes please. 

Young or Sexton/taylor/

Barton or hood/Baze/Dorsey/bembry

Prince/baze/Grayson Allen/bembry

Collins/Bagley 

Bagley/Plumlee/Dedmon? 

That's a fun and athletic team with decent potential. Yes please. 

And for my 4th consecutive post im gonna throw out Kentavious Caldwell pope. This rainy Sunday got me bored. 

I saw an article linking him to a 2/20 contract. Idk. 2 years for this team is almost pointless, but maybe we can add him to our young core for beyond 2020.

A solid 3 and d SG that shoots 38% from 3.

I keep seeing all these solid wings guys linked to the 76ers(for good reason). But they ain't signing all of them lol. Maybe KCP will come back to Georgia and be our scoring threat from the 2.

Two other names, tyreke Evans and Avery Bradley. Not necessarily for us, but hopefully they take up some of the guard openings on teams with money and we can snag one of these other young guys for the future. Also. I had no idea tyreke Evans learned to shoot from 3.

I wonder if they will be active in FA. I can't see them committing to another large salary. Maybe they consider packaging Dennis to get a pick. At this point they seem to be all in on the rebuild. Personally I hope we can draft Ayton to pair with Collins but I'm also a big fan of Young. With what's going on with Bud, the lottery selection approaching and FA. This should be an interesting off season.

Marvin Bagley III compared to current Atlanta Hawks big man in recent mock draft

By Brad Rowland@BTRowland Apr 23, 2018, 2:00pm EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

It’s not a new comparison but one that could be interesting moving forward.

While the Atlanta Hawks aren’t overly likely to end up with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, every mock draft available pegs the team for that position at the moment given the way the odds break down for the upcoming lottery. To that end, the debate is already raging about what the Hawks should do if and when they land in that spot and there are separate arguments.

One such argument comes between the group of talented big men pitted against the higher upside offensive players (Trae Young and Michael Porter Jr., specifically), while another simply compares the young bigs to one another. In a recent mock from Chris Stone of the Sporting News, Duke’s Marvin Bagley III slips to No. 4 overall and that, well, provides a result that a lot of the fan base would appreciate.

In fact, the mock endears itself even further in describing Bagley as “a better version of John Collins” and here is the write-up in full:

Pairing John Collins with a prospect who might be best described as “a better version of John Collins” may not be the smartest front office decision given some of the potential defensive deficiencies a Bagley-Collins frontcourt would face, but it’s tough to turn down the Duke big man’s talent.

Bagley has the potential to be the best player in the class if his skill level catches up with his athleticism and motor. The 19-year-old averaged 21.0 points and 11.1 rebounds per contest as a freshman. His second and third jumps make him a dominant force on the offensive glass, and he should be a dangerous pick-and-roll threat.

More enticing, though, is his potential short roll play-making. Bagley’s ability to pass a bit on the move gives him a leg up on some of the draft’s other elite bigs.

The Bagley-Collins comparison isn’t new and, in many ways, it makes sense. Still, the bigger question (as noted above) is whether the two could co-exist as full-time starters in the same alignment and that is one that Travis Schlenk and company will need to weigh if and when Bagley III is available on draft night.

Schlenk has been vocal about simply taking the best player available and that could easily lead him to Bagley III despite any fit concerns with Collins. With that said, Chris Vivlamore of the AJC recently indicated on 92.9 The Game that Schlenk may not be the biggest fan of Bagley at this juncture and that could be instructive.

Defensively, there would be challenges in the early going of that potential partnership and, on the other end of the floor, development would required from both young big men when it comes to floor-spacing and playmaking. Still, there is an allure to the terror created by two plus athletes flying around in the frontcourt and that is a dream scenario for a large portion of the fan base.

Obviously, there will be plenty of time to discuss scenarios but, at this early juncture, what say you?

© 2018 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2018

Knicks coaching rumors: New York is the top choice for Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer

By Chris Barnewall

CBSSports.com | 2018-04-23 16:54:56

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer is one of the most respected tacticians in the NBA. He has the ability to keep his players to a system that works and, can typically win more games than he loses if he has enough talent on the roster. Budenholzer, however, has been actively interviewing for other positions around the league. It appears he could be leaving Atlanta for a new destination this offseason.

According to the New York Post's Marc Berman, Budenholzer's preferred destination is the Knicks. He is reportedly unhappy with the direction his current team is heading in. He's , but the two sides weren't able to reach an agreement on a deal.

Mike Budenholzer is genuinely interested in the Knicks' job, according to an NBA source who has spoken to the Hawks coach.

"New York's his top choice,'' the NBA source said. "If they offered him the job, he'd say yes. He wants to live in New York.''

Moreover, Budenholzer appears so disillusioned with the current Hawks' philosophy, it's difficult to imagine him returning. Atlanta is adopting the blueprint set by the "Trust The Process'' Sixers.

Budenholzer still has two years left on his contract with the Hawks, so any agreement he reaches with another team will likely involve negotiations between two teams to get him out of his current deal. The Knicks would be an interesting destination because it sounds like Budenholzer is trying to find a team intent on winning now rather than later. Hiring him would indicate that New York is once again trying to make a run at the playoffs.

Budenholzer would be a smart on-court decision for New York, but would it be a good decision in the long term? The Knicks have a bad habit of trying to skip steps in the team-building process in order to reach the postseason as fast as possible. Budenzholzer will get them wins in the short term, but they need to get the proper talent around him to go anywhere beyond a first-round playoff exit. There are no shortcuts for this.

As for the Hawks, this report is a pretty good indication that Budenholzer isn't going to stick around much longer. The 2015 Coach of The Year winner has seen his influence in the organization decrease over time. He was formerly the president of basketball operations, but the in the summer of 2017. Now the organization seems intent on a long building process that he doesn't want to be a part of. It will be best for both parties if they split sooner rather than later.

© 2004-2018 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved.

23 hours ago, WOR said:

And for my 4th consecutive post im gonna throw out Kentavious Caldwell pope. This rainy Sunday got me bored. 

I saw an article linking him to a 2/20 contract. Idk. 2 years for this team is almost pointless, but maybe we can add him to our young core for beyond 2020.

A solid 3 and d SG that shoots 38% from 3.

I keep seeing all these solid wings guys linked to the 76ers(for good reason). But they ain't signing all of them lol. Maybe KCP will come back to Georgia and be our scoring threat from the 2.

Two other names, tyreke Evans and Avery Bradley. Not necessarily for us, but hopefully they take up some of the guard openings on teams with money and we can snag one of these other young guys for the future. Also. I had no idea tyreke Evans learned to shoot from 3.

bring him home

3 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

bring him home

Don't get your hopes up. 

There's about a 5% chance we sign anyone of merit. 

Schlenk already said he wants to rent our capspace for picks so it's doubtful we are signing any free agents of note like Barton, Hood, KCP etc.  It'll be another tank season which I think is why Bud wants out.

Schlenk said it won't be a Philly style tank but I have my doubts now, we'll see later this offseason if Baze, Dennis and Prince are moved for picks.

blkbigdog35 likes this

9 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Schlenk already said he wants to rent our capspace for picks so it's doubtful we are signing any free agents of note like Barton, Hood, KCP etc.  It'll be another tank season which I think is why Bud wants out.

Schlenk said it won't be a Philly style tank but I have my doubts now, we'll see later this offseason if Baze, Dennis and Prince are moved for picks.

I agree but you think they would move TP? Of course I could get the reasoning with Dennis and Baze.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I agree but you think they would move TP? Of course I could get the reasoning with Dennis and Baze.

I would hope not, but with how things are playing out it's making me question,  well........everything.  I think the only untouchable player on this team is John Collins. 

How far can we move up in the draft combining Prince and #19?

And I'm not saying that is what we should do. SFs like Prince with speed, athleticism, 3 and D are  few and far in the current NBA. Lots of teams need a quality SF. We have one and shouldn't trade him.

Edited by jayu70
blkbigdog35 and Slappywhite like this

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Nah, I think he'll hold onto Prince, unless they draft Michael Porter who I think has a higher ceiling. That being said, TP could possibly play the 2, but it's possible that if Bud goes to, say, the Knicks (who have no wing depth), he'd likely recruit TP who is one of the last players he drafted.

blkbigdog35 likes this

14 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Nah, I think he'll hold onto Prince, unless they draft Michael Porter who I think has a higher ceiling. That being said, TP could possibly play the 2, but it's possible that if Bud goes to, say, the Knicks (who have no wing depth), he'd likely recruit TP who is one of the last players he drafted.

Prince is under contract for 2 more season before he reaches RFAcy - any recruitment by Bud would be tampering.

blkbigdog35 and JerseyNo12 like this

10 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I would hope not, but with how things are playing out it's making me question,  well........everything.  I think the only untouchable player on this team is John Collins. 

How far can we move up in the draft combining Prince and #19?

And I'm not saying that is what we should do. SFs like Prince with speed, athleticism, 3 and D are  few and far in the current NBA. Lots of teams need a quality SF. We have one and shouldn't trade him.

10 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

You know what's funny is that a week ago we were looking at simple offseason process but with this Bud situation things seem to be very unclear. 

jayu70 likes this