TD on Trading Up in the Draft

Lethal

What is your preference TATF?  Trade Up?  Down?  Stay Put?  History indicates the Falcons will either trade up or stay put.  Ultimately it comes down to what it would cost to move up...or the compensation gained by moving back...but TD always seems to make draft day interesting.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/4/20/17261104/shocking-news-the-falcons-are-amenable-to-trading-up-in-the-nfl-draft

“Of course, we have to look at the compensation and be realistic about it,” Dimitroff said. “We pretty well know when we are looking to move up five, six, eight, 10 or 21 [spots], what it is going to cost us. We get our heads around that a lot sooner than on draft day.”

7 minutes ago, athell said:

What is your preference TATF?  Trade Up?  Down?  Stay Put?  History indicates the Falcons will either trade up or stay put.  Ultimately it comes down to what it would cost to move up...or the compensation gained by moving back...but TD always seems to make draft day interesting.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/4/20/17261104/shocking-news-the-falcons-are-amenable-to-trading-up-in-the-nfl-draft

“Of course, we have to look at the compensation and be realistic about it,” Dimitroff said. “We pretty well know when we are looking to move up five, six, eight, 10 or 21 [spots], what it is going to cost us. We get our heads around that a lot sooner than on draft day.”

Choate is clearly just stirring the pot for clicks.

There is no way anyone could come away from yesterday’s presser and think, “Falcons said they are amenable to moving up.”

That’s hogwash.  3 or 4 times in that presser TD and Quinn emphasized how much they believe they are good at 26. Almost slipped up a couple times and blurted out that we’re not considering moving up this year.

.  rexxxd'swDepending on if someone unexpectedly slips through I hope we trade back with someone who has an early 2nd and get a 4th. Here is my realistic mock.

Trade out of 26 and get a 2nd and pick an instant playmaker Gesicki and a 4th. with our 2nd we go B J Hill. With our 3rd we go WR Antonio Callaway. With our 2 , 4th round picks I go DT Trenton Thompson and FB Dimitri Flowers in the 6th I go J D Barnett in the 7th I go DT Poona Ford and best OL left.

I hope we either Stick at #26 if someone perfect for us falls

OR

Trade out to early 2nd round and pick up extra 2nd day pick.   Would love to end up with two 2nds, two 3rds, and then the rest of our draft (4th, 6th, 7th, 7th) - to get FOUR players in the top 100 of this draft would be amazing.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I hope we either Stick at #26 if someone perfect for us falls

OR

Trade out to early 2nd round and pick up extra 2nd day pick.   Would love to end up with two 2nds, two 3rds, and then the rest of our draft (4th, 6th, 7th, 7th) - to get FOUR players in the top 100 of this draft would be amazing.

I'd like this too but most analyst seem to think it's going to be very difficult to trade out of the bottom of the 1st and get any value.  I keep hearing that there is very little separations between number 20 and the rest of the top 100. I guess one situation that could help is if somebody loves one of the QBs and just has to have them.

4 hours ago, Beef said:

There is no way anyone could come away from yesterday’s presser and think, “Falcons said they are amenable to moving up.”

That’s hogwash.  3 or 4 times in that presser TD and Quinn emphasized how much they believe they are good at 26. Almost slipped up a couple times and blurted out that we’re not considering moving up this year.

You don’t think 99.9% of what TD/Quinn say at pressers aren’t hogwash?

come on, man!

49 minutes ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

Trade up to 13 with Washington and draft Vita Vea.

It’s rumors that Washington wants to trade back to acquire more picks so they could move back up in the early 2nd round for LSU RB Guice.

Also Washington seems to be high on Da’ron Payne for their first pick.

That wasn't the Redskins that was Chris Cooley

On Twitter, Burgundy Blog quoted Chris Cooley as saying that the Redskins would like to land both Payne and Guice, and they would have to trade to get both.

We need to stay put @ 26

57 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

.  rexxxd'swDepending on if someone unexpectedly slips through I hope we trade back with someone who has an early 2nd and get a 4th. Here is my realistic mock.

Trade out of 26 and get a 2nd and pick an instant playmaker Gesicki and a 4th. with our 2nd we go B J Hill. With our 3rd we go WR Antonio Callaway. With our 2 , 4th round picks I go DT Trenton Thompson and FB Dimitri Flowers in the 6th I go J D Barnett in the 7th I go DT Poona Ford and best OL left.

Ill admit to being slightly partial but A. Callaway from FL is going to be a terror in the NFL. Never really had a QB at UF.  He is going to make all kinds of plays with his cutting ability and 4.4 speed.  He timed 4.43 but plays sub 4.4. He scored 5 different ways for UF. Multiple return TDs in each 2 seasons.  He would be a stud for us in the 3rd. **** with his ability as a WR I would take him in late 2nd. 

6 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Ill admit to being slightly partial but A. Callaway from FL is going to be a terror in the NFL. Never really had a QB at UF.  He is going to make all kinds of plays with his cutting ability and 4.4 speed.  He timed 4.43 but plays sub 4.4. He scored 5 different ways for UF. Multiple return TDs in each 2 seasons.  He would be a stud for us in the 3rd. **** with his ability as a WR I would take him in late 2nd. 

Hes my #1 WR and the best WR to come out in the last couple years. Going to be a baller if he can keep his head straight. 

What do you think about Jordan Scarlett? Watched some tape of his a few days ago and he reminds me of a more powerful Kareem Hunt. Someone to target next year if we need a RB. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

Unless you get into the top 12 or so, it really isnt worth giving up so many picks based on talent drop-off from the top players. There is one dominant DE, CB,G, RB, DT, 2 Safeties and 2 LBrs that probably will go in those 12 or so picks. The #2-#4 of those positions are all pretty even for the most part.

3 hours ago, Beef said:

TD has traded up 40% of the time tho in the 1st lol...it's hardly going out on a limb to say that TD won't attempt to move up so claiming it hogwash (which who says hogwash?) seems silly.

3 hours ago, Stryka said:

2 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Hes my #1 WR and the best WR to come out in the last couple years. Going to be a baller if he can keep his head straight. 

What do you think about Jordan Scarlett? Watched some tape of his a few days ago and he reminds me of a more powerful Kareem Hunt. Someone to target next year if we need a RB. 

I think they see similar ability in Hines myself.

I think the character issues will be a bridge to far with regards to Callaway.

Onething I got from that pre draft presser was team fit.If DQ and TD don't get it with a certain player no matter what or how good they are there's not picking him.Also got the feeling that the singular workouts that they get with a given player are the kickers.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think they see similar ability in Hines myself.

I think the character issues will be a bridge to far with regards to Callaway.

Onething I got from that pre draft presser was team fit.If DQ and TD don't get it with a certain player no matter what or how good they are there's not picking him.Also got the feeling that the singular workouts that they get with a given player are the kickers.

Im not expecting us to draft Callaway at all. TD and Quinn alluded to meeting  players with character concerns first in order to quell any questions they may have. As far as I know we havent met with Callaway. 

4 hours ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

Trade up to 13 with Washington and draft Vita Vea.

It’s rumors that Washington wants to trade back to acquire more picks so they could move back up in the early 2nd round for LSU RB Guice.

Also Washington seems to be high on Da’ron Payne for their first pick.

No, no, no. That would be a disaster. The price to move from 26 to 13 is just too high.

4 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

Way too early for Callaway. I'd say he isn't even on our board. He wouldn't get through the Bengals filter and certainly not the Falcon filter. Need to check his arrest record before you throw him on our list anywhere in the first 6 rounds.

5 hours ago, athell said:

Do what is necessary and not an hindrance to get a good set of impactful players. I hate the idea that trading back means better players....no it means more chances, which isn’t necessarily all that people make it seem. 

Almost all of TD trade up have been great decisions. The only one that comes to mind that wasn’t was Sam Baker. 

Just get the best player available to you or in reach based on your scouting, scheme, etc. 

Edited by ATLFalcons11