Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PK Manley

2018 Falcons Schedule

133 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

We've got some breaks though. We catch Philly up there at a good time. Sure it will a big day for them, but we either get Foles or a potential rusty Wentz. If we go up there and spoil the party though, I'll buy into this team as a threat to have home field throughout the playoffs (feels good to say that and actually mean the WHOLE playoffs).

We match up well with Green Bay, and with their track record, I wouldn't be shocked if they have 1700 players hurt by then. 

I don't think 6-2 on the road is that unrealistic at all. 

A Rusty Wentz sounds like a painful sex act. 

MisterC, papachaz, tl;dr and 3 others like this

39 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think the NFL screwed up and got the Falcons and Panthers schedules backwards. The Panthers schedule just makes me say OUCH!! So glad the Falcons didn't get that schedule.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with our schedule.

its literally how our season ended inverse. NO, CAR, PHI (LAR outlier)

So, teams will be changing a bit this offseason. Our D will have a DT plan in action by then and our offense hopefully will have had its offseason homework and Sark year 2 for the payoff.

PokerSteve likes this

NFL schedule 2018: Chiefs, Falcons lead six contenders with toughest schedules

Vinnie Iyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-schedule-2018-chiefs-falcons-lead-six-contenders-with-toughest-schedules/ar-AAw5IPv

The Falcons begin by having to endure the Eagles celebrating their Super Bowl 52 victory in the Week 1 NFL season opener. Of the three 2017 playoff teams from the NFC South, Atlanta draws a slate worse than that of Carolina and New Orleans. The Panthers and Saint also happen to be the Falcons' first two home opponents, in Weeks 2 and 3.

That means the Falcons will have three division road games in their final six games, including Thanksgiving against the Saints. Also in the mix for Atlanta is at Pittsburgh in October and at Green Bay in December. The Falcons truly will need to rise up in order to avoid a delayed playoff drop-off.

B_Lo_Touchdowns likes this

For the amount of bitching that folks on here do about 4 PM games and prime time games, you guys would **** a brick if the Falcons ever got a schedule like the Patriots got this year. From weeks 3-9 the Patriots play 5 of 7 games at night.

papachaz and birdsnflight like this

The 2018 Falcons schedule has a lot of similarities to 2010 and 2012. Our AFC North schedule is identical to 2010 (at Steelers, vs Bengals, at Browns, vs Ravens), and our NFC East schedule is identical to 2012 (at Eagles, vs Giants, at Redskins, vs Cowboys). In 2010, 2012, and even 2016 we had the Cardinals at home and the Eagles on the road, and we won the division with a 1st round bye each of those seasons. In 2012, we had the Cowboys at home before the Saints in New Orleans later in the season, just like we will again come 2018. Our bye week in 2010 was week 8. Our bye week in 2012 was week 7 before a NFC East team on the road (Philly). Our bye week in 2018 is week 8 before a NFC East team on the road (Washington) which is almost identical. In 2010 we opened the season in the state of Pennsylvania against the Steelers in Pittsburgh. In 2018 we open the season in the state of Pennsylvania but this time against the Eagles in Philly. The only huge difference is that 6 of our last 9 games are on the road and we finish the season on the road for the first time in years. 

GANDI and papachaz like this

Travel distances can have a slight effect on team fortunes. This season, Oakland, Seattle, and the Chargers each travel about 30,000 round trip miles. At the other end of the spectrum are Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and the Jets who each travel fewer than 10,000 miles.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fburke_b
Brian Burke, ESPN Analytics

On 4/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, PK Manley said:

Being heavier on road games toward the end isn't ideal, but on the bright side, we had the same home and road record last year, none of the road trips are longer than two weeks, and none of the road games are out west.

excellent points! I like that none of the road games are out west this year, the last few years have been killer from that stand point

PK Manley likes this

On 4/19/2018 at 8:49 PM, fuego said:

Only 3 prime time games. Saints have 5.

The networks listened to the ESPN analysts predicting the Falcons go 9-7 and decided to go light on the Falcons in Prime Time?

Tim Mazetti likes this

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

The networks listened to the ESPN analysts predicting the Falcons go 9-7 and decided to go light on the Falcons in Prime Time?

Apparently. And SF gets 5 prime time games. They were 6-10. Ridiculous.

11 hours ago, fuego said:

Apparently. And SF gets 5 prime time games. They were 6-10. Ridiculous.

The reason the 49ers got all those games is because "their history" and they went 5-0 to finish the season after Jimmy Garoppolo took over.

Tim Mazetti and mqg96 like this

21 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I prefer 1pm games. I like what I like, and really don't care if the population watches my team with me.

Historically teams who win on a lot of primetime (nationally televised) games end up winning Super Bowls. I've noticed it over the last several seasons. The 2015 Broncos, 2016 Patriots, and 2017 Eagles hosted the 2nd to last Monday Night game or the last Monday Night game and ended up winning the Super Bowl. The Sunday Night football schedule is not official, they'll flex it as the season goes on depending on what happens with the teams. 

6 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Historically teams who win on a lot of primetime (nationally televised) games end up winning Super Bowls. I've noticed it over the last several seasons. The 2015 Broncos, 2016 Patriots, and 2017 Eagles hosted the 2nd to last Monday Night game or the last Monday Night game and ended up winning the Super Bowl. The Sunday Night football schedule is not official, they'll flex it as the season goes on depending on what happens with the teams. 

Yep.

It just hit me that the Falcons have a chance at facing 3 rookie QBs this year. They play the Browns in week 10. Baker Mayfield could be starting by then. Should be playing from the start of the season in my book. Play the Ravens in week 13. Depending on how the Ravens season has gone the Ravens might be focused on 2019 at that point and letting Lamar Jackson play. Then they play the Cardinals in week 15. Josh Rosen should be starting by then.

Cole World likes this

7-9 floor

10-6 ceiling 

This doesn't look good, first time in a long time I was unsure about the teams upcoming season. My fanhood is saying "First team to win the Super Bowl at home baby" but this could get real ugly from November til the season ends, lots of L's sitting on the back half.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:47 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

12-4

Same, if our defense gets better AND our offense has better consistency (doesn't have to be #1 like 2016, but just better execution.

Our losses would be the Eagles in Philly, the Saints at home, the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and the Buccaneers in Tampa. In 2013 and 2015, the Saints swept us. In 2014 and 2016, we swept the Saints. In 2017, we beat the Saints when we were at home but the Saints beat us in their dome. I have a gut feeling that it's gonna flip around and this upcoming 2018 we beat the Saints in New Orleans but the Saints beat us in our stadium (just like how 2010 went). That would be our only home loss BTW. 

I have the Falcons and Vikings making it to the NFC Championship with the Falcons advancing to the Super Bowl. I think the Steelers and Chiefs make it to the AFC Championship and the Steelers advance to the Super Bowl. Falcons win it all at Home.

1 hour ago, PStatus88 said:

I have the Falcons and Vikings making it to the NFC Championship with the Falcons advancing to the Super Bowl. I think the Steelers and Chiefs make it to the AFC Championship and the Steelers advance to the Super Bowl. Falcons win it all at Home.

Who the Chiefs going to beat in the playoffs? You're putting an awful lot of stock in a guy that has played only 1 NFL game in getting them there.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Who the Chiefs going to beat in the playoffs? You're putting an awful lot of stock in a guy that has played only 1 NFL game in getting them there.

The Patriots I hope. Mahomes may be young and inexperienced but that kid is going to be an Elite QB some day. I’m blown away by his arm strength and accuracy alone, but the fact that he makes such quick reads, is elusive in the pocket and has the guts to go for the big play. Andy Reid obviously feels that he is ready to be a starter. He also has a lot of great offensive weapons to work with. The Chiefs WR Corps is pretty **** good and they have Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce.