Switch the draft focus to offense early?

lju713

We need a WR, power back,OL depth,and maybe another athletic TE(strecth). DT is deep and that is honestly our most pressing need but I wonder if Quinn/TD know this and double deep later in the draft.

I'm hearing Ridley may slide due to his age and lack of production (not all his fault). DJ Moore/ Chark are the WRs we need to help this offense most IMO but we would have to do it early. We've worked out RBs Nick Chubb and Nyheim Hines(KR). 

Jake Matthews is playing on a $12m 5th year option, and LT get paid in FA....even mediore 1s. Jake is solid but somebody else may over pay for him. Not saying we need a 1st Rd LT but losing Jake next year is possible. Alex Mack is 34yrs old and Billy Price may slide due to injury. 

We had a top 10 last year with the core of that D returning. I want a DT in the 1st personally, but we could shore up some needs on O early and add pieces to the DL in later rounds. Thoughts?

We've got a ton of OL depth. We have three interior OL and two OTs. Sambrailo isn't going anywhere since we essentially drafted him with the 5th rounder this year. Pasztor maybe. But I doubt we use a top 4 round pick on OL. 

Mack is 32. Matthews isn't going anywhere. Period. But I agree we will add some offensive pieces early. Haven't added much since DQ got here because it was so stacked. But Sark needs his guys. 

7 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

If Bryan is gone and Gesicki isn't I would run to the podium with his name on a piece of paper. I agree BPA is where we need to go.

I was probably the first person on here to be vocal about Gesicki. He is my favorite TE prospect in several years & I was raving about him well before his insane combine performance.

That said, I’d pass on him (or any TE) unless we were to trade down into the early to mid 2nd & took him there.

Someone recently posted all of the 1st round TEs in the last decade or so & it was pretty shocking how many struggled to be effective at all, and the few that did ok usually took a few years to get there.

TEs just do not come out of the gate ready to make an impact as a rookie period... not Gonzo, not Gronk, not Ertz, etc... so unless you are totally stacked across the roster already, the value of taking a TE in the 1st is nonexistent.

9 hours ago, vel said:

We've got a ton of OL depth. We have three interior OL and two OTs. Sambrailo isn't going anywhere since we essentially drafted him with the 5th rounder this year. Pasztor maybe. But I doubt we use a top 4 round pick on OL. 

Mack is 32. Matthews isn't going anywhere. Period. But I agree we will add some offensive pieces early. Haven't added much since DQ got here because it was so stacked. But Sark needs his guys. 

well we have DT depth now as well but..... I think there will be interior OL that would go in rnd 4 that make it to 6, and possibly fall out of the draft. This is the most loaded draft I have seen at OG/C, and especially wr.

11 hours ago, lju713 said:

We need a WR, power back,OL depth,and maybe another athletic TE(strecth). DT is deep and that is honestly our most pressing need but I wonder if Quinn/TD know this and double deep later in the draft.

I'm hearing Ridley may slide due to his age and lack of production (not all his fault). DJ Moore/ Chark are the WRs we need to help this offense most IMO but we would have to do it early. We've worked out RBs Nick Chubb and Nyheim Hines(KR). 

Jake Matthews is playing on a $12m 5th year option, and LT get paid in FA....even mediore 1s. Jake is solid but somebody else may over pay for him. Not saying we need a 1st Rd LT but losing Jake next year is possible. Alex Mack is 34yrs old and Billy Price may slide due to injury. 

We had a top 10 last year with the core of that D returning. I want a DT in the 1st personally, but we could shore up some needs on O early and add pieces to the DL in later rounds. Thoughts?

Seriously...something  tells me TD DQ know DT is deep and a pressing need - not  sure if we double deep tho lol. 

7 hours ago, k-train said:

I was probably the first person on here to be vocal about Gesicki. He is my favorite TE prospect in several years & I was raving about him well before his insane combine performance.

That said, I’d pass on him (or any TE) unless we were to trade down into the early to mid 2nd & took him there.

Someone recently posted all of the 1st round TEs in the last decade or so & it was pretty shocking how many struggled to be effective at all, and the few that did ok usually took a few years to get there.

TEs just do not come out of the gate ready to make an impact as a rookie period... not Gonzo, not Gronk, not Ertz, etc... so unless you are totally stacked across the roster already, the value of taking a TE in the 1st is nonexistent.

I think Fumagalli could be an exception. He's a polished route runner, VERY good blocker, and might have the best catch radius of all TEs coming out. He's at the slower end of the spectrum but already uses his body frame to create seperation. Has huge hands that he uses to one hand snag bullets. I've moved on from the Gesicki train and like Troy in the 3rd.

WR  Quinn did say he would "look inside first" for his WR

Hardy, M Hall,  R Davis,  R Hall  

(maybe if Quin does not succeed in finding one inside)

OL line depth

Matthews  Sambrilo   Bruinskill

Levitre  Garland   Harlow  Crowley

Mack  Fusco  Garland

Fusco  Schweitzer Douglas

Schraeder  Paszter  

(just do not see early rnds used here)        

TEs

Hooper   Paulsen  Saubert   Gray  

(maybe mid to late)

DTs

G Smith  Zimmer  Ivies

Jarrett  Crawford   Shelby

(mostly likely early rnds  just not enough ummph shown(in past) by new signeees)

I don't see the argument with taking a RB or OL with our 1st pick. I see our immediate holes to fill as DT1 (alongside Jarrett), TE1/2 (in front of or behind Hooper), WLB (depending on Riley's readiness this year). Luxury picks early would be an extra edge rusher or WR in my mind.

I've played with Fanspeak enough, and even though they can be off on a guy by a round or more, its making more sense to me that we grab our DTs after our first pick, and possibly after our 2nd, given what is available at other positions later.

Something like:

1st - LB - Rashaan Evans or LVE; DE - Landry (longshot); WR - Ridley or Moore

2nd - TE - Gesicki/Goedert (longshot); DT - Maurice Hurst

3rd - DT - BJ Hill; RB - Ballage

4th - DT - PJ Hall or Justin Jones or Nathan Shepherd

6th - FB - Flowers

7th - BPA/Upside

Lot of options. Looking forward to seeing TD and DQ work their draft magic and move around. Just hope we don't give up major picks to go get a guy this year.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I think Fumagalli could be an exception. He's a polished route runner, VERY good blocker, and might have the best catch radius of all TEs coming out. He's at the slower end of the spectrum but already uses his body frame to create seperation. Has huge hands that he uses to one hand snag bullets. I've moved on from the Gesicki train and like Troy in the 3rd.

I like Fumagalli. He dominated in the bowl game. He might be a more polished route runner at this point. But there's no way he has a better catch radius than Gesicke, who is 6'5", was measured with 34" arms, 10"+ hands, and out-jumped Julio in the vertical. Fumigalli is also significantly slower. 

I could be wrong. And If I am, I'll come back and admit it. But I think Gesicke with the right OC has a ceiling high enough to be one of those once in a generation players. OROY, multiple pro-bowls, etc...

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I like Fumagalli. He dominated in the bowl game. He might be a more polished route runner at this point. But there's no way he has a better catch radius than Gesicke, who is 6'5", was measured with 34" arms, 10"+ hands, and out-jumped Julio in the vertical. Fumigalli is also significantly slower. 

I could be wrong. And If I am, I'll come back and admit it. But I think Gesicke with the right OC has a ceiling high enough to be one of those once in a generation players. OROY, multiple pro-bowls, etc...

Yes, I like Gisicke better, too.  Just more upside/better measureables to me, than Fumigalli.  I really don't want to take a TE in the first, since DT is a greater need ---- but, will Gisicke be there in the 2nd? 

Overall I agree with you. The Falcons have not replenished the offense with barely any young talent. From 2015-2017 the Falcons only drafted one offensive player of any consequence and he (Coleman) will most likely be gone in 2019. The time has definitely come to spend a good pick on a WR, TE, or G/C. 

On 4/19/2018 at 0:57 AM, k-train said:

idk man. Gronk and Hernandez completely destroyed us not just in their rookie year, but in pre-season of their rookie year. I sat there in the dome watching NE light us up and I was thinking "Who ARE these guys they drafted?". Maybe they weren't as refined then, but the mismatch ability was clearly visible.

18 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Overall I agree with you. The Falcons have not replenished the offense with barely any young talent. From 2015-2017 the Falcons only drafted one offensive player of any consequence and he (Coleman) will most likely be gone in 2019. The time has definitely come to spend a good pick on a WR, TE, or G/C. 

If he can add Chark and Hines to this offense we will be dangerous again. Chark can take the top off the D, to help free JJ and Sanu up. Hines is a matchup nightmare, and more importantly would give the return game a boost. 

We need playmakers including on D, far as turnovers. Alford and Debo IMO are the only players on D that will take the ball. Another young ball hawk at CB would be nice IJS

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

idk man. Gronk and Hernandez completely destroyed us not just in their rookie year, but in pre-season of their rookie year. I sat there in the dome watching NE light us up and I was thinking "Who ARE these guys they drafted?". Maybe they weren't as refined then, but the mismatch ability was clearly visible.

Nneither Gronk nor Hernandez were 1st round picks

On 4/19/2018 at 0:57 AM, k-train said:

I hear you and I’m advocating we draft DL, but it’s not just TE’s who struggle in their rookie seasons....