2017 Draft Re-grade

falconsb_logo.gif Atlanta Falcons: Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA: C Grade 
One-Year Grade: A Grade 

I was concerned about Takkarist McKinley's health, which is why I gave the Falcons a "C" grade for the pick. However, unlike other players with medical red flags like Jonathan Allen and Malik Hooker, McKinley was able to have an injury-free rookie campaign. McKinley recorded six sacks despite playing limited snaps, and he was actually more effective than Vic Beasley. In fact, I actually argued that McKinley should be getting more snaps than Beasley, and perhaps that'll happen in the near future. 

Original Write-up: 

So, let me get this straight? Jonathan Allen and Reuben Foster fell because of injury concerns, yet Takkarist McKinley doesn't? Maybe McKinley could've gone a bit earlier, but he won't be able to play to open the 2017 season, unlike Allen and Foster. The Falcons are attempting to reach the Super Bowl this year, so not being able to have McKinley at full strength isn't ideal. He could be a great player for the Falcons once he's healthy, but the injuries are a concern. I'm giving the Falcons a "C" as a result. I don't like giving up the third-rounder to get McKinley when there were lots of good pass-rushers on the board. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#ixzz5CsJYSEUp

McKinley only got 401 snaps, still ended up 2nd on the team in QB pressures (34), 2nd in sacks (6), 3rd in QB hits (10), 3rd in tackles for loss (9).

Expect him to get around 600 snaps this season and potentially double some of those numbers. 

14 minutes ago, Beef said:

McKinley only got 401 snaps, still ended up 2nd on the team in QB pressures (34), 2nd in sacks (6), 3rd in QB hits (10), 3rd in tackles for loss (9).

Expect him to get around 600 snaps this season and potentially double some of those numbers. 

I really feel hes going to be a monster.

2 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Takk definitely played through pain this year though. He's a football playing dog

Takk is just a winner.   After all he has overcome to get to the NFL, he is not going to let an injury here or there slow him down too much - Takk's determination is one of his greatest attributes.  Love the guy.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Takk is just a winner.   After all he has overcome to get to the NFL, he is not going to let an injury here or there slow him down too much - Takk's determination is one of his greatest attributes.  Love the guy.

Yep. He was my favorite prospect during the pre-draft stuff. I didn't think we could get him though. The other thread about the Falcons going against our expectation is fair but in 2015 and 2017 we got the guy I wanted most. 

4 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

If Duke Riley can bounce back and become a viable starter this year. And Saubert can give us anything, this will be a good draft. 

Otherwise Kazee and Takk are the only ones to meet expectations.

We really need Riley and Saubert to produce tho, because they play positions that are thin on depth. 

Through one year I think thats pretty solid return. 

I also think Harlow is a darkhorse iOL candidate moving forward. I think they figured they were settled at C and thought they could "Plan D" him. I'm a little surprised he didnt get reps at guard but I havent given up on him yet.