theProf's first 2018 mock draft

theProf

A little different mock draft from the ones I've been seeing. All of these players have had private workouts or official visits with the Falcons.

1.  Rashaan Evans   LB     (DQ loves him some LBs with speed and coverage ability. Evans would give Falcons one of the best LB corp in football)

2.  B.J. Hill  DT  (Got to replace Poe)

3.  Nyheim Hines  RB/Slot Receiver/Returner   (track star with 4.38 speed, versatile as change-of-pace RB or speedy slot receiver, Falcons desperately need a  a Returner)

4.  P.J. Hall  DT (Grady clone, penetrator and disrupter)

6.  Kurt Benkert  QB  (need a better, lower-priced back-up QB than Matt Schaub, who is counting $4.5 million against the 2018 salary-cap. Draft Benkert and cut Schaub)

7a. Nick Bawden  FB  (no FB currently on the roster)

7b. Vyncint Smith  WR  (4.36 speed with 39.5 vertical. Reads like a cross between Taylor Gabriel and Aldrick Robinson )

44 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Like the first four picks, Prof

realistic

I believe Falcons will take a CB before a RB though.

Could be. Falcons are definitely taking a close look at possible CBs in varying projected rounds of the draft.  CB DJ Reed, who is also a Returner, would be a good alternative to Hines in the 3rd-round. The mock would then be BJ, DJ, and PJ all in consecutive rounds, two through four.

6 hours ago, theProf said:

Could be. Falcons are definitely taking a close look at possible CBs in varying projected rounds of the draft.  CB DJ Reed, who is also a Returner, would be a good alternative to Hines in the 3rd-round. The mock would then be BJ, DJ, and PJ all in consecutive rounds, two through four.

Why not go DJ Moore in the first and complete the quad Js!!!

I know we’ve shown no interest, but funny.

Im not big on Evans, but if DQ drafts him, I trust that they think he will be something.

I think DQ and company have a particular guy they are interested in and use visits to compare guys to validate scheme ability and movement skills. They did it with both Keanu and Tak...

I really think we might move back for the first time in awhile...

Nice mock, Prof.  It's our "job" to pick it apart, so here I go.

1.  Evans is a nice start.  I believe in drafting BPA in the first round.  I think BPA could come down to a choice between Evans and CB-Alexander.  I am ambivalent, but I can't fault your choice.

2.  BJ Hill is a strong possibility, but he is not similar to Poe.  He really does not have the ability to take on two blockers, so taking him in the second might be a stretch.  I think the reason we are working out guys like Shepherd and Hall is because we want to wait until the 3rd round to take a DT in this deep draft.  Who knows, maybe this is a good opportunity to trade down and pick up an extra pick.  

3.  Hines is a really good pick here.  If we want him ( and I think we do), we will need to take him in the third round.  He is a natural replacement for Coleman, who should fetch us a 3rd round compensatory pick when he eventually walks. 

4.  PJ Hall is another smart choice.  He certainly looks like another Jarrett.  He could be worked into the rotation to give poor Grady a breather.

6.  I think we will sign a rookie FA for the developmental QB position.  I'd really like to see us draft an under rated OL, like Tony Adams.  I think our FO has spent a lot of time at NC State and I bet that they were unexpectedly impressed by Adams as a future Center.

7.  A full back makes perfect sense.  Smith is fast, but can he catch?   

12 hours ago, theProf said:

A little different mock draft from the ones I've been seeing. All of these players have had private workouts or official visits with the Falcons.

1.  Rashaan Evans   LB     (DQ loves him some LBs with speed and coverage ability. Evans would give Falcons one of the best LB corp in football)

Grade = B+

2.  B.J. Hill  DT  (Got to replace Poe)

Grade = B

3.  Nyheim Hines  RB/Slot Receiver/Returner   (track star with 4.38 speed, versatile as change-of-pace RB or speedy slot receiver, Falcons desperately need a  a Returner)

Grade = B

4.  P.J. Hall  DT (Grady clone, penetrator and disrupter)

Grade = A-

6.  Kurt Benkert  QB  (need a better, lower-priced back-up QB than Matt Schaub, who is counting $4.5 million against the 2018 salary-cap. Draft Benkert and cut Schaub)

Grade = C+

7a. Nick Bawden  FB  (no FB currently on the roster)

Grade = B+

7b. Vyncint Smith  WR  (4.36 speed with 39.5 vertical. Reads like a cross between Taylor Gabriel and Aldrick Robinson )

Grade = A-

I have graded your draft. And it passes.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, theProf said:

From an article posted by g-dawg this morning:

RB/WR Nyheim Hines:

• ultra fast - ran 4.38/40 at combine
  • good personality
  • was asked by GMF crew to speak to camera as if it was a GM on "Why should we draft you?" - He nailed it,, talked about how he can return punts/kicks, play running back, play wide receiver, be an all around threat and posed the question back to the GM "Why would you draft/sign/hire 3 guys to do these jobs in a salary cap era when you can get just one?" --  GMF crew were stunned at how great his answer was --  Hines said he majored in business and had a little laugh/smile going.