Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theProf

Are you prepared for the Falcons to defy your draft expectations?

87 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't think the weakness of 2012 draft was a MAJOR reason for Falcons trading up for Julio - but I do believe it was a contributing factor - and that is all anyone is trying to say, Vandy.

And with respect, all I’m saying is I disagree G. They don’t have that ability to forecast a year ahead those type of things....nobody does. 

Plus it wasn’t as bad a talent-pool as you guys claim it was.

we went and got Julio to be more explosive... period. 

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And with respect, all I’m saying is I disagree G. They don’t have that ability to forecast a year ahead those type of things....nobody does. 

Plus it wasn’t as bad a talent-pool as you guys claim it was.

we went and got Julio to be more explosive... period. 

this is gonna sound harsh, so apologies in advance but.......your a fool if you don't think NFL front offices don't look ahead and draft classes 1-2 years down the pike.   These scouts/GMs - this is their 365 days/yr job - they have plenty of time to look ahead.

My only draft expectation is that they draft at least 3 players who make the team better, even if just incrementally better, than it is today. If they defy that expectation...I will be truly disappointed.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

this is gonna sound harsh, so apologies in advance but.......your a fool if you don't think NFL front offices don't look ahead and draft classes 1-2 years down the pike.   These scouts/GMs - this is their 365 days/yr job - they have plenty of time to look ahead.

I’m a lot of things, as are you, being a fool isn’t one of them. It’s not harsh, it’s condescendingly insulting to insinuate otherwise.

Again, I’ve Already acknowledged they look ahead just like we all do. Nobody has theirs heads buried in the sand (well, maybe Cleveland did)....What’s ‘foolish’ is to believe anyone can predict a draft’s talent pool a year ahead, or even think they can predict an current draft’s level of talent. They may try, but historical evidence clearly shows nobody can’t predict with any certainty how a player drafted will eventually turn out, much less how players a year in the future will turn out. Only after the fact years later can look back and accurately assess what it really was. It’s that unpredictability and inability to do that in advance which is what makes the draft so fascinating. 

And to the point of trading up to Julio, it had nothing to do with what a year later’s draft had to bring. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’m a lot of things, being a fool isn’t one of them. It’s not harsh, it’s condescendingly insulting to insinuate otherwise.

Again, I’ve Already acknowledged they look ahead just like we all do. What’s ‘foolish’ is to believe they can predict a draft’s talent pool a year ahead, or even think they can predict an current draft’s level of talent. They may try, but historical evidence clearly shows they can’t predict with any certainty how a player they draft will eventually turn out, much less how players a year in the future will. 

And to the point of trading up to Julio, it had nothing to do with what a year later’s draft had to bring. 

the last sentence is what makes you wrong in my eyes.   Of course you cannot prove what you say nor can I.

You say the 2012 talent base played NO ROLE in the Julio trade.   I say it was a "down the list" contributing factor.  Your position is a more absolute one than mine. ;)

20 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My only draft expectation is that they draft at least 3 players who make the team better, even if just incrementally better, than it is today. If they defy that expectation...I will be truly disappointed.

Pretty much same for me. It’s that difference of consistently getting at least 3 players in the draft who contribute versus just 1-2 which separates the good teams from the bad ones over the long-term, IMO.

Some of my general expectations for the upcoming draft. The Falcons will draft:

(1)   a DT within the first 3 rounds, and probably one more after Round 3.

(2)   a Returner, who might also double as the #3WR, #3RB, or #3/4CB.

(3)   another LB somewhere in the draft,  possibly even in Round 1.

(4)   a late-round FB, and most likely another RB.

(5)   a #3 WR, probably somewhere in the mid-rounds.

(6)  an Offensive Lineman in a late round.

Shelley#37 likes this

This is exactly why I don't get into the draft.  You and the front office will never view the team the same.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:00 PM, theProf said:

Some of my general expectations for the upcoming draft. The Falcons will draft:

(1)   a DT within the first 3 rounds, and probably one more after Round 3.  Deadrin Senat drafted in Round 3, even though Tevin Bryan was available in Round 1.  Only 1 DT drafted.

(2)   a Returner, who might also double as the #3WR, #3RB, or #3/4CB.   #3CB and possible Punt Returner Isaiah Oliver drafted in Round 2.      #3RB and possible Kick-off Returner Ito Smith drafted in Round 4.   

(3)   another LB somewhere in the draft,  possibly even in Round 1.   LB/SS Foye Oluokun drafted in Round 6.

(4)   a late-round FB, and most likely another RB.   NO FB drafted. Atlanta did sign two UDFA FBs.  RB Ito Smith drafted in Round 4.

(5)   a #3 WR, probably somewhere in the mid-rounds.  #3WR Calvin Ridley drafted in Round 1.    WR/Gunner Russell Gage drafted in Round 6.

(6)  an Offensive Lineman in a late round.  NO offensive Linemen drafted. Some UDFAs were signed.

therawest likes this

On 4/17/2018 at 11:02 PM, HEIST said:

Isaiah Oliver round 1 book it

I would've been happy with that...  Can you believe he was still there in round 2? 

Tim Mazetti and Vandy like this

6 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

I would've been happy with that...  Can you believe he was still there in round 2? 

Nope I just knew one of our divisional rivals was gonna snag him before we could in round 2