Matt Ryan was better in 2017 than 2016

I appreciate him pointing out some of the positive attributes of Ryans game but this is just a hot take. He doesn’t really backup how Ryan was a better Qb in 17’ because actually watching every single game in full, you’d know it wasn’t even close.

37 minutes ago, Jerz said:

I appreciate him pointing out some of the positive attributes of Ryans game but this is just a hot take. He doesn’t really backup how Ryan was a better Qb in 17’ because actually watching every single game in full, you’d know it wasn’t even close.

You realize that this is the guy who puts out his annual QB catalogue where he charts every throw for every NFL QB, correct? He watched and charted every single throw from every QB in the league, including Matt Ryan. So I'd say he watched every single game of Ryan's in full...

He's also the guy who drew the ire of quite a few Falcons fans during Ryan's 2016 MVP season for not being nearly as high on Matt as most other people were; so it's not like he's a Ryan apologist.

Not going into comparing seasons,but Ryan played fine last year. His WRs were horrid in severe ways, he was rushed heavily, and he had a OC that didn't know the offense calling plays. People over magnified every throw that wasn't perfect. EVERY QB in the league, including Brady, Brees, and Rodgers has those throws. Sometimes those throws aren't always on the QB , as they appear, the Wr can run the routes wrong. I saw several of Matt's throws last year, throws people on here screamed amd whined about, that was obvious lazy Route running. That's just the obvious ones, bet there are more if we knew the truth. Does Matt miss throws? Yes, but so does every QB.  

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

On 4/14/2018 at 2:07 AM, Jerz said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true. For example, I can only think of 3 of Ryan's interceptions which were actually his fault. All the others were tip drills. 

I thought Ryan was by and large better in the pocket and better at evading pressure. I also thought he got better at throwing guys open and hitting them in stride. Better routes and hands would have resulted in big plays.

The numbers don't show it but Ryan did improve his game.

Edited by JerseyNo12

14 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true. For example, I can only think of 3 of Ryan's interceptions which were actually his fault. All the others were tip drills. 

I thought Ryan was by and large better in the pocket and better at evading pressure. I also thought he got better at throwing guys open and hitting them in stride. Better routes and hands would have resulted in big plays.

In the twitter thread he points out that Ryan threw 12 INTs in 2017, but only 6 of them were his fault.

On 4/14/2018 at 2:50 AM, RandomFan said:

You realize that this is the guy who puts out his annual QB catalogue where he charts every throw for every NFL QB, correct? He watched and charted every single throw from every QB in the league, including Matt Ryan. So I'd say he watched every single game of Ryan's in full...

He's also the guy who drew the ire of quite a few Falcons fans during Ryan's 2016 MVP season for not being nearly as high on Matt as most other people were; so it's not like he's a Ryan apologist.

I definitely did not know that but thats pretty interesting. It’s refreshing to hear an obviously non-bias take on our QB but I feel like his level of play being better in 17’ is more of an opinion which is fine.

5 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I guess but do you guys not remember how off Ryan was mostly in the beginning and throughtout the season? It was pretty obvious how off he was at times on deep and intermediate passes.

Still played some good football though and did more than enough to keep us in playoff contention. His receivers did almost nothing to complement him and I’m well aware. 

2 hours ago, Jerz said:

I guess but do you guys not remember how off Ryan was mostly in the beginning and throughtout the season? It was pretty obvious how off he was at times on deep and intermediate passes.

Still played some good football though and did more than enough to keep us in playoff contention. His receivers did almost nothing to complement him and I’m well aware. 

Agreed. Matt was not “better” last year, that’s a silly narrative as anyone who watched his play both seasons knows that. But his drop off in play was not as much as media and fans thought it was. The bigger drop off was in OL, RB, and like you said, in WR play.

And of course, play calling.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. Matt was not “better” last year, that’s a silly narrative as anyone who watched his play both seasons knows that. But his drop off in play was not as much as media and fans thought it was. The bigger drop off was in OL, RB, and like you said, in WR play.

And of course, play calling.

I doubt seriously that Ryan would agree with the take that his 2017 was better than 2016. I agree that the dropoff wasn't as much as some thought, one of the reasons that I'm more hopeful about a more effective offense this coming year than others on this board.

Wasn't Fahey also the one that claimed that, in 2016, Cam Newton was the most accurate QB  in the league, by watching Cam's every throw and assigning the blame for the incompletion to someone else?

On 4/14/2018 at 2:07 AM, Jerz said:

Whether you buy his conclusions or not, Cian Fahey's writing is literally based on a throw-by-throw review of the entire season. 

So given that he watched every single game in full for charting purposes, I'd question your conclusion. 

This has to be a complete joke. If anyone watched the Falcons games in 2017, you'd know our improved defense carried the team in 2017. The offense took a huge step back, and as much as people don't want to admit it, Matt Ryan REGRESSING in 2017 in passing yards and TD's was part of the reason the offense sunk too. People keep blaming it all on the receivers making drops but you can't put it all on them. It was Sark's lack of NFL experience (being a rookie coordinator from college) and the lack of creativity on offense. Receiver drops were part of it. Matt Ryan's lack of timing the ball was part of it. Sark was part of it. I blame Sark 60%. Matt Ryan 30%. The receiver drops 10%. If you're a QB veteran for 10 years, you must put fire on the offense if they're not doing their job. I blame Sark the most, because it's the coaching's responsibility to get things right. Sark came straight out of college and he was mediocre at USC and Alabama. Sark was given an 11-5 Super Bowl team with the same weapons. Shanahan had 10+ years of experience and was given a 6-10 team from 2014 who had a bunch of coaching changes.

44 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I doubt seriously that Ryan would agree with the take that his 2017 was better than 2016. I agree that the dropoff wasn't as much as some thought, one of the reasons that I'm more hopeful about a more effective offense this coming year than others on this board.

Wasn't Fahey also the one that claimed that, in 2016, Cam Newton was the most accurate QB  in the league, by watching Cam's every throw and assigning the blame for the incompletion to someone else?

I think he posted that one while out with his Irish buddies...

https://thebiglead.com/2018/01/12/cian-fahey-out-at-espn-after-ignorant-behavior-at-bar/amp/

All kidding aside, I actually like most of his work in studying/analyzing quarterbacks and his different perspective of what’s happening in games. 

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Larry did? Seems like the kind of data-driven guy Larry would like. 

I actually like some of his work too..,

http://presnapreads.com/2013/05/16/richard-sherman-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict/

It was discussing Fahey's take on Newton's accuracy with Sam mills, let me see....

My bad, it was Kayoh:

On 8/7/2017 at 11:12 PM, Kayoh said:

I appreciate you defending me this entire thread but Fahey is a massive confirmation bias-soaked hack.

I like people pointing out that Ryan had less yards and TDs as if the offense didn't lay an egg at every level. Even despite MRs stats not being gaudy I distinctly remember him being incredible in the pocket and accurate on most throws. The only real drop off I saw was the deep ball, which tends to stick in our minds, even though that's only q small fraction of QB play. He looked better to Me in many ways