Drafttek's latest 7-round mock draft has Atlanta selecting:

theProf

26.  Leighton Vander Esch    LB    Boise State

For much of the draft season, we have been operating under the fact that Atlanta has almost no DT depth, and they almost always draft for need. However, there are hints that the Falcons won't necessarily spend their first-overall pick on the defensive interior. Dan Quinn has repeatedly praised the depth of talent at DT. Additionally, they have been bringing in potential first-round picks who don't play up front.

One player that they have brought in is Leighton Vander Esch. Currently, the Falcons have a Pro Bowl LB in Deion Jones . While Duke Riley was a disappointment, Devondre Campbell had a rough rookie campaign, too, and he was arguably the most improved Falcon last season. Could the Falcons be willing to invest in another Pro-Bowl-caliber LB? Could they simply have lost faith in the undersized Riley? Or perhaps with massive contracts coming up for Matt Ryan, Jake Matthews, and Vic Beasley, the Falcons are looking to the future? Whatever the reason, they seem intent on adding to a linebacker corps that is top-heavy with talent, but very thin underneath. Vander Esch could play any of the LB positions. He can cover, he can tackle in space, he can even get after the QB. He wouldn't fill the Falcons' biggest need, but he would elevate the defense for years to come. The Falcons seem to be preparing for the fact that their top target might not be there at #26.

58.  Harrison Phillips  DT  Stanford

Having passed on DT in the first round, Atlanta dips into the depth at that position to find a run-stuffing 1-Tech to pair with Grady Jarrett. Phillips is a fascinating prospect. His performance last year for a DT was insane. Playing inside, he notched 103 tackles, 17 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. Normally, production like that in the PAC-12 would have people talking about a Top-10 pick. Yet Phillips has seen his draft stock slide because of concerns about his athleticism. This is a guy who put up 42 reps in the bench press, ran a 7.28 in the three-cone drill and had a 32" vertical despite weighing over 300 lbs. He's not athletic enough? Phillips is incredibly hard working and has excellent hand usage from his years as a wrestler, so perhaps his ceiling has been reached. That ceiling is still pretty high, and he would be an immediate contributor next to Grady Jarrett, as both players can play either the 1- or 3-Tech.

90.  Michael Gallop  WR  Colorado St.

126.  Trenton Thompson  DT  Georgia

200.  K.C. McDermott   OT  Miami

244.  Nick Bawden  FB  San Diego St

256.  Keishawn Bierria  LB  Washington

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

Wouldn't hate the draft but don't know about that WR? Or the OT randomly? Also, if you go LB that high you probably just get a vet for STs guy instead of another draft capital with 3 starters and presumably still grooming Duke. Give some more love to the offense. OL might be that but I could see a trade up for a better "their guy" prospect instead of settling on who falls to them; which depending on the way the draft unfolds isn't always a bad thing. See: Grady

Edited by Ergo Proxy

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Wouldn't hate the draft but don't know about that WR? Or the OT randomly? Also, if you go LB that high you probably just get a vet for STs guy instead of another draft capital with 3 starters and presumably still grooming Duke. Give some more love to the offense. OL might be that but I could see a trade up for a better "their guy" prospect instead of settling on who falls to them; which depending on the way the draft unfolds isn't always a bad thing. See: Grady

Bingo. Better WR options available in the third and grab a TE in the 4th and it isn't an ugly draft at all.

Considering we've had visits/meetings/workouts/whatever with about 6 or 7 CB's, especially in the 4th-UDFA projection range, I don't see us not drafting a CB at this point in the mid rounds.

And I don't think we've met with or spoken to Harrison Phillips even once.  Although that doesn't mean anything since we have drafted guys we never met with before several times.

2 wrestling champions in the interior of our DL would be intriguing. I think what Harrison Phillips brings is what we need the most as opposed to a gap shooter. Interior pressure is important but I’d rather bolster our run defense and let Grady get his qb hurries. 

I’d absolutely love this draft but I’d rather take a DB like Siran Neal over an OT.

I'm starting to believe the Falcons are just going to get the BPA for their #1 whoever it might be and position. I think all of their significant targets for positions of need will be gone, after that, they're just settling.

This is going to be one of those drafts that TD is famous for trying to find the diamonds in the rough. We haven't been too successful long and short term with that philosophy.

47 minutes ago, Beef said:

Considering we've had visits/meetings/workouts/whatever with about 6 or 7 CB's, especially in the 4th-UDFA projection range, I don't see us not drafting a CB at this point in the mid rounds.

And I don't think we've met with or spoken to Harrison Phillips even once.  Although that doesn't mean anything since we have drafted guys we never met with before several times.

yeah we are taking a cornerback no matter what.   I am confident on this for the reason you cited.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

you need to do more research on that WR - Michael Gallup is a stud.

Two guys that I think will be solid guys from this draft are Miller and Sutton. I think one of the two will be available at our 3rd pick. Miller has that Steve Smith like dog in him and Sutton has something we desperately need at the WR position in that he can go up and get the football.

4 minutes ago, stizz said:

Two guys that I think will be solid guys from this draft are Miller and Sutton. I think one of the two will be available at our 3rd pick. Miller has that Steve Smith like dog in him and Sutton has something we desperately need at the WR position in that he can go up and get the football.

Lol Sutton is going to be no where near our 3rd pick.

17 minutes ago, stizz said:

Sutton probably goes top 45.   Early 2nd rounder.

I like Anthony Miller a lot.

You need to do more research on Michael Gallup - you don't sound like you are very familiar w/ him - he is very good for like a 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

I'm starting to believe the Falcons are just going to get the BPA for their #1 whoever it might be and position. I think all of their significant targets for positions of need will be gone, after that, they're just settling.

This is going to be one of those drafts that TD is famous for trying to find the diamonds in the rough. We haven't been too successful long and short term with that philosophy.

Hes going to trade up somewhere so we can just kiss 1-2 of these picks goodbye lol

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

@theProf does Scott Carasik still make the picks for the Falcons on Draftek?  I know in the past he did.

I believe Scott Carasik currently does most of his work on FalconsWire. His latest mock draft, which I don't really like, for Falcons Wire linked as follows:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/09/falcons-wire-2018-mock-draft-trading-down-from-no-26/

Drafttek uses computer-generated mock drafts, based upon its projected team needs and numeric ranking of each draft prospect. Of course individuals have to input team needs and player rankings into the computer system.  Perhaps Carasik use to input Falcons team needs for Drafttek, if he was previously affiliated with them. 

I would be very happy with this draft. Big fan of Phillips and Gallup (both are pure production players with high floors) and LVE has a super high ceiling. Thompson shores up our depth issue and I like Bawden at FB. Only thing that would make it better is a little secondary help. Maybe go CB in the fourth and take some DT depth at our first 6th and sign me up.