Jump to content

% of Private Workouts - Unlikely to be Drafted


hjerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Credit to Etherdome for posting this first in NFLDraft&FreeAgency, in the "2018 NFL Draft Prospects the Atlanta Falcons have shown interest in" Thread:

but I thought this was interesting enough of a take to warrant its own discussion thread:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The full list of private workouts is available in Unintentional Grounding's thread (posted above), but for quick reference (and since I recently had to type it up anyway so I have it handy), here is also the list of those who we've had in for a Private visit to Flowery Branch so far (or at least those who've been reported as such) along with their current draft projections.

DaRon Payne DT 1

Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St 1 

Rashaan Evans LB Alabama 1-2 

Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hayes St 2

Nick Chubb RB Georgia 2-3 (Local) 

Kurt Benkert QB Virginia 5-6

Keke Coutee WR Texas Tech 5-6

Javon Wims WR Georgia 6 (Local)

Siran Neal Jacksonville St 6

Davin Bellamy DE Georgia 6-7 (Local)

Korey Cunningham OT Cincinnati 7-FA

Tanner Lee QB Nebraska FA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do feel like we are looking at alot of late round to undrafted FA guys .

 

I actually like this draft ... I think this draft lack big time impact guys but I feel like it has alot of solid guys that can contribute.

 

This is why I don't mind trading up for for an impact guy ... Last year if we didn't move up we would have taken Taco Charlton.. Again it's early but it's nothing in the 31st pick or our  3rd round pick that I would take over takk.

 

I value pics but I'll take a impact guy over 2 solid guys any day ... I feel like with good scouting you can find a solid guy in the crop of late round to undrained FA to replace the solid player u missed on.

 

Now if  you can hit (find starters) on your first 4 picks like we did in 2016.. that's different but picking 17th and picking at the end of each round is totally different... you  are drafting in 2 different draft pools

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I do feel like we are looking at alot of late round to undrafted FA guys .

 

I actually like this draft ... I think this draft lack big time impact guys but I feel like it has alot of solid guys that can contribute.

 

This is why I don't mind trading up for for an impact guy ... Last year if we didn't move up we would have taken Taco Charlton.. Again it's early but it's nothing in the 31st pick or our  3rd round pick that I would take over takk.

 

I value pics but I'll take a impact guy over 2 solid guys any day ... I feel like with good scouting you can find a solid guy in the crop of late round to undrained FA to replace the solid player u missed on.

 

Now if  you can hit (find starters) on your first 4 picks like we did in 2016.. that's different but picking 17th and picking at the end of each round is totally different... you  are drafting in 2 different draft pools

This is exactly why I think they trade up. They've looked at a lot more mid to late round guys than early guys. They have their eyes on a few guys and are probably going to go get them if they are there. I'm thinking #18. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

This is a compilation of draft prospect visits sorted by prospect. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources.

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting. 
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2018 Senior Bowl or the 2018 East-West Shrine Game
 

 

ATL.gif Atlanta Falcons
  • Tony Adams, C, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville (WOR)
  • Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State (PRO)
  • Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State (WOR)
  • Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (SR)
  • Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Jack Cichy, OLB/ILB, Wisconsin (WOR)
  • Anthony Coyle, OT, Fordham (WOR)
  • Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (SR)
  • Korey Cunningham, OT, Cincinnati (PRI)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (COM)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (PRI)
  • Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Danny Ezechekwu, DE, Purdue (LOC)
  • Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (WOR)
  • Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (EW)
  • Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida (EW)
  • Jerrell Foster, CB, Kent State (WOR)
  • Grant Haley, CB, Penn State (EW%)
  • B.J. Hill, DT/3-4DE/NT, N.C. State (COM, PRI)
  • Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Ronald Jones II, RB, USC (PRO)
  • Afolabi Laguda^, S, Colorado (WOR, LOC)
  • Tanner Lee, QB, Nebraska (PRI)
  • Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA (PRO)
  • Patrick Morris, C, TCU (WOR)
  • Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State (COM)
  • Uchenna Nwosu, 3-4OLB/OLB, USC (SR)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (WOR)
  • Foye Oluokun, OLB, Yale (PRO)
  • Joe Ostman, DE, Central Michigan (EW)
  • Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (SR)
  • Da'Ron Payne, DT/NT, Alabama (PRI)
  • Jaylen Samuels, RB, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Braden Smith^, G, Auburn (COM, WOR)
  • Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone (WOR)
  • Linden Stephens, CB, Cincinnati (EW)
  • Kentavius Street, DE, N.C. State (EW)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (COM)
  • Malik Williams, RB, Louisville (WOR)
  • Javon Wims, WR, Georgia (PRO)

 

Edited by Beef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vel said:

This is exactly why I think they trade up. They've looked at a lot more mid to late round guys than early guys. They have their eyes on a few guys and are probably going to go get them if they are there. I'm thinking #18. 

I’m thinking Da’Ron Payne if we go to #18.   Taven Bryan ain’t going that high and he’s not a pure DTackle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I’m thinking Da’Ron Payne if we go to #18.   Taven Bryan ain’t going that high and he’s not a pure DTackle.

Bryan has received a lot of love on these boards.  So much so, that I am believing that we will trade up for him.  But, if I look at the prospects and trust my eyes, Payne makes more sense to me.  

If Payne is available after the Chargers and Cowboys picks, then a move up would cost us a 3rd rounder.......worthwhile in my opinion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the reason we are doing due diligence on guys like Vander-Esch, Evans, Alexander, Oliver, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones II, and Kolton Miller is because we are staying put at #26 and giving ourselves a backup plan if Vea and Payne are gone. 

Edited by Beef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Beef said:

I think the reason we are doing due diligence on guys like Vander-Esch, Evans, Alexander, Oliver, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones II, and Kolton Miller is because we are staying put at #26 and giving ourselves a backup plan if Vea and Payne are gone. 

Doesn’t mean we’re staying put, but always good to have backup contingency plan in case the what-if trade scenarios you might have don’t work out as planned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Beef said:

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

This is a compilation of draft prospect visits sorted by prospect. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources.

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting. 
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2018 Senior Bowl or the 2018 East-West Shrine Game
 

 

ATL.gif Atlanta Falcons
  • Tony Adams, C, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville (WOR)
  • Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State (PRO)
  • Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State (WOR)
  • Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (SR)
  • Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Jack Cichy, OLB/ILB, Wisconsin (WOR)
  • Anthony Coyle, OT, Fordham (WOR)
  • Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (SR)
  • Korey Cunningham, OT, Cincinnati (PRI)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (COM)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (PRI)
  • Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Danny Ezechekwu, DE, Purdue (LOC)
  • Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (WOR)
  • Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (EW)
  • Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida (EW)
  • Jerrell Foster, CB, Kent State (WOR)
  • Grant Haley, CB, Penn State (EW%)
  • B.J. Hill, DT/3-4DE/NT, N.C. State (COM, PRI)
  • Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Ronald Jones II, RB, USC (PRO)
  • Afolabi Laguda^, S, Colorado (WOR, LOC)
  • Tanner Lee, QB, Nebraska (PRI)
  • Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA (PRO)
  • Patrick Morris, C, TCU (WOR)
  • Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State (COM)
  • Uchenna Nwosu, 3-4OLB/OLB, USC (SR)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (WOR)
  • Foye Oluokun, OLB, Yale (PRO)
  • Joe Ostman, DE, Central Michigan (EW)
  • Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (SR)
  • Da'Ron Payne, DT/NT, Alabama (PRI)
  • Jaylen Samuels, RB, N.C. State (WOR)
  • Braden Smith^, G, Auburn (COM, WOR)
  • Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone (WOR)
  • Linden Stephens, CB, Cincinnati (EW)
  • Kentavius Street, DE, N.C. State (EW)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (COM)
  • Malik Williams, RB, Louisville (WOR)
  • Javon Wims, WR, Georgia (PRO)

 

Hmmm extremely telling... haven't all of our draft picks from the DQ era come in on visits? If so a breakdown of positions and projected rounds could be very telling. Key note is not a TE in sight... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

Bryan has received a lot of love on these boards.  So much so, that I am believing that we will trade up for him.  But, if I look at the prospects and trust my eyes, Payne makes more sense to me.  

If Payne is available after the Chargers and Cowboys picks, then a move up would cost us a 3rd rounder.......worthwhile in my opinion.  

How so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

How so

Payne had a great game against UGA.  No need to go over that.  When I watched UA play this past season.....and I saw nearly every game......I focussed on Payne because he has been one of my favorite prospects for a while.  

I saw opposing OL's really focus on double-teaming Payne.  He was the guy that freed up Hand, as well as the LB's, to make plays.  When teams shaded blocking away from him, he moved up field very well.  His numbers don't reflect a lot of pass rush, but he collapsed the pocket pretty well.  

I see a very young prospect with a lot of talent.  He gives great effort and he appears to be a clean guy, from a character POV.  

All in all, I think he fits in our DT rotation.  And, if Quinn gives him the green light to penetrate one gap and go,  I think we could have an especially destructive DT duo.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, hjerry said:

The full list of private workouts is available in Unintentional Grounding's thread (posted above), but for quick reference (and since I recently had to type it up anyway so I have it handy), here is also the list of those who we've had in for a Private visit to Flowery Branch so far (or at least those who've been reported as such) along with their current draft projections.

DaRon Payne DT 1

Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St 1 

Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame 1

Rashaan Evans LB Alabama 1-2 

Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado 2

Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hayes St 2

Nick Chubb RB Georgia 2-3 (Local) 

Kurt Benkert QB Virginia 5-6

Keke Coutee WR Texas Tech 5-6

Javon Wims WR Georgia 6 (Local)

Siran Neal Jacksonville St 6

Davin Bellamy DE Georgia 6-7 (Local)

Korey Cunningham OT Cincinnati 7-FA

Tanner Lee QB Nebraska FA

Jacob Martin OLB/DE Temple FA

updated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, hjerry said:

 

Credit to Etherdome for posting this first in NFLDraft&FreeAgency, in the "2018 NFL Draft Prospects the Atlanta Falcons have shown interest in" Thread:

but I thought this was interesting enough of a take to warrant its own discussion thread:

 

 

This suggests we may be making a significant trade in the first, presumably for Vea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, etherdome said:

Payne had a great game against UGA.  No need to go over that.  When I watched UA play this past season.....and I saw nearly every game......I focussed on Payne because he has been one of my favorite prospects for a while.  

I saw opposing OL's really focus on double-teaming Payne.  He was the guy that freed up Hand, as well as the LB's, to make plays.  When teams shaded blocking away from him, he moved up field very well.  His numbers don't reflect a lot of pass rush, but he collapsed the pocket pretty well.  

I see a very young prospect with a lot of talent.  He gives great effort and he appears to be a clean guy, from a character POV.  

All in all, I think he fits in our DT rotation.  And, if Quinn gives him the green light to penetrate one gap and go,  I think we could have an especially destructive DT duo.  

agreed. I like him more than anyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, vel said:

This is exactly why I think they trade up. They've looked at a lot more mid to late round guys than early guys. They have their eyes on a few guys and are probably going to go get them if they are there. I'm thinking #18. 

I'm a huge proponent of staying put and maximizing picks because of the value to bust ratio.  For every player you hit on, several won't work out.  Especially in those middle rounds.

I'm looking at you Hage and Collins.

Having said that, I think if their draft strategy is "we can find players in the middle rounds, and we'll focus on our risk taking and developmental folks there -- we need playmakers in the first," I could warm up to that.  There is little doubt that Quinn's first rounders so far have been hits.  Beasley, Neal and Takk are three very solid players.  And even if they aren't perennial Pro Bowlers (they call could be), save Beas they were all taken in the middle to end of the 1st.  So it's not like one of those "duh, anyone can draft great players in the top 10" type of deals.

Quinn seems to know what he is looking for and he and Dimitroff work well together to go get it.  If they want to trade up and then get solid players in the middle rounds instead of diamonds in the rough, that's cool.  Especially since they got the ultimate diamond in the rough in Grady Jarrett in the 5th effing round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...