Draft Day Trade

vel

The more I've thought about the draft and processed DQ's words and his actions, I think they trade up with SEA to #18, take Bryan there and then take BJ Hill at #58. 

A DL of Takk, Grady, Bryan, Vic on third down would be heIl on wheels. A ton of speed and power at all four spots on the money down. But BJ Hill still gives you that steady, solid DT who will do the dirty work vs those more physical teams we have issues with. That DL would be Takk, Grady, Hill, Bryan. Long term, those are two very good DLs. 

Bryan makes too much sense to ATL for it to not happen. It will take a trade up, but I don't think they are opposed to it. TD and DQ have both said multiple times the roster has no holes. The last time that was said, we moved up for Julio. I don't think we do a trade like that, but to sacrifice a third to solidify the DL DQ wants, which is his passion and the basis of this DL, I don't think they hesitate. 

Bryan isn't making it to #26. We all know that. The Dallas has the hots for him. Detroit could take him too. But if that's the man DQ and TD have their eye on, I would not be surprised if they don't make that move. I also believe this is why they didn't stretch to get Bennett. They didn't have a fourth and if they have an agreement in place with SEA to trade up with their third, same thing that was in place pre-draft last year, then having no third and no fourth would have sucked. 

Trading up for Bryan would be beyond moronic. And if we did that I seriously doubt we’d be able to keep pick 58. 

We can get a Day 1 impact starter at 26. We don’t need to keep losing picks to trades. 

Edited by shock

Before everybody jumps on the "Trading up is stupid" train, two things:

1. This is just a wild guess. I'm not saying I want this to happen. 

2. We don't have any say in them trading up. If it's already decided, like last year, it's already decided. TD has rarely traded down (once?)

23 minutes ago, shock said:

Trading up for Bryan would be beyond moronic. And if we did that I seriously doubt we’d be able to keep pick 58. 

We can get a Day 1 impact starter at 26. We don’t need to keep losing picks to trades. 

Agreed....no way we trading up without giving up that 2nd rd pick

4 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agreed....no way we trading up without giving up that 2nd rd pick

I disagree. Given it would be Seattle and only 8 spots, a third is reasonable. They'd be short 60 points on the draft chart but we overpaid 20 points last year. A second would be a massive overpay for an 8 spot jump. 

16 minutes ago, vel said:

I disagree. Given it would be Seattle and only 8 spots, a third is reasonable. They'd be short 60 points on the draft chart but we overpaid 20 points last year. A second would be a massive overpay for an 8 spot jump. 

Agreed.   I covered this in previous Deja Vu mock.

It would cost more than just the 3rd rd pick though- cost would be 3rd rounder and 2014 4th rounder.

Not getting 60 points for FREE.

32 minutes ago, vel said:

Before everybody jumps on the "Trading up is stupid" train, two things:

1. This is just a wild guess. I'm not saying I want this to happen. 

2. We don't have any say in them trading up. If it's already decided, like last year, it's already decided. TD has rarely traded down (once?)

What drives me crazy was we traded down 2 spots in 2016 in the second round, still got the guy they wanted (Deion Jones) and got another draft pick. Those deals don't just come out of nowhere but trading down, if you can find a partner, is almost always a steal. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

The more I've thought about the draft and processed DQ's words and his actions, I think they trade up with SEA to #18, take Bryan there and then take BJ Hill at #58. 

A DL of Takk, Grady, Bryan, Vic on third down would be heIl on wheels. A ton of speed and power at all four spots on the money down. But BJ Hill still gives you that steady, solid DT who will do the dirty work vs those more physical teams we have issues with. That DL would be Takk, Grady, Hill, Bryan. Long term, those are two very good DLs. 

Bryan makes too much sense to ATL for it to not happen. It will take a trade up, but I don't think they are opposed to it. TD and DQ have both said multiple times the roster has no holes. The last time that was said, we moved up for Julio. I don't think we do a trade like that, but to sacrifice a third to solidify the DL DQ wants, which is his passion and the basis of this DL, I don't think they hesitate. 

Bryan isn't making it to #26. We all know that. The Dallas has the hots for him. Detroit could take him too. But if that's the man DQ and TD have their eye on, I would not be surprised if they don't make that move. I also believe this is why they didn't stretch to get Bennett. They didn't have a fourth and if they have an agreement in place with SEA to trade up with their third, same thing that was in place pre-draft last year, then having no third and no fourth would have sucked. 

Wouldn’t surprise me at all, it’s TD’s m.o. to trade up for a need. 

If not Bryan, it might be for Payne.

1 hour ago, shock said:

You could possibly do it for Vea or Bryan as you are aloud to trade comp picks now that's how I'd be looking at it for a trade up.I'd be doing a 1 swap and a 3 this year and a 3 next year to go up possibly in the late teens.

Trade out of the 2nd to try and recoup something later in the draft to get Hill in the early third.

Or do we do a player trade and a pick to go up,not sure what the FO has on there minds but I think at this point in time anythings on the table.

3 hours ago, vel said:

I've heard the same thing and the more I think of it, the more I hope it happens. 

10 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Agreed.   I covered this in previous Deja Vu mock.

It would cost more than just the 3rd rd pick though- cost would be 3rd rounder and 2014 4th rounder.

Not getting 60 points for FREE.

I agree we are trading up. Seattle has one pick before round 5 and they will be desperate to get more picks. It probably will cost us our 3rd and a 4th or just our 2nd (but then no Hill). I would be much more agreeable to next year's 4th and maybe get one of those 5th rounders back from Seattle. They're stacked with 5th round picks and maybe they will be so hard up for picks that they take a 3rd only or 3rd and next year's 5th.