Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

As the roster stand right now, do we have a chance to return to the promised land?

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Yes we can. It’s possible. 

For those saying “No” —— Look back to the offseason before the 2016 season at this time and ask yourself if you thought that roster was a championship roster. 

The point is that there is always a chance. The better question maybe....would you WANT to go into this season with this roster?

The answer would be Nah. 

The NFC was meh that year. Not the case in 2018. PHI, MIN, NO, CAR and LA were solid last year and should improve this season. There's also a chance a team like  GB, DAL, DET or SF will rise from the ashes. Plus we face the AFCN who we seem to struggle with sometimes. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We literally do not have a starter at NT or depth at DT, so this isn’t really a quantifiable question.

Could this offense put up 30+ ppg again with this lineup?

Absolutely.

Matt Ryan, Julio, Sanu, Freeman, Coleman, Hooper, & Matt Bryant, with a top-5 OL... absolutely that can put up those kinds of points.

Grady, Beasley, Takk, Jones, Campbell, Neal, Alford, Tru... all beasts on D.

Fill in a couple holes on D, some general depth all around, and a decent kick/punt returner and sky’s the limit.  That is not as much as it may sound.

We don’t need much at all.

GATXBOI and Talented like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Forget the draft, the Ryan deal (we know he’s getting re-signed) and the free agents we haven’t signed or will sign. As of right now, does this team stand a chance of getting back? I think it all depends on the game plan. The personnel we have can get there, I truly believe that. I think it all depends on Quinn, Sark and Manuel. I feel confident in this team even before the draft and free agency and I’m not too upset we didn’t splash in FA, partly due to financial reasons I know. Who else thinks this team can FINALLY get it done?

Right now, no.

This will be a critical draft for us. Besides the big need at DT, we have little depth at most positions if a starter went down. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beef said:

We literally do not have a starter at NT or depth at DT, so this isn’t really a quantifiable question.

Could this offense put up 30+ ppg again with this lineup?

Absolutely.

Matt Ryan, Julio, Sanu, Freeman, Coleman, Hooper, & Matt Bryant, with a top-5 OL... absolutely that can put up those kinds of points.

Grady, Beasley, Takk, Jones, Campbell, Neal, Alford, Tru... all beasts on D.

Fill in a couple holes on D, some general depth all around, and a decent kick/punt returner and sky’s the limit.  That is not as much as it may sound.

We don’t need much at all.

You quite possibly could be underestimating what Poe did last year. He solidified the middle and we had a top 10 run defense. First time in years. Not every DT can do that. Who are the back up DTs? Crawford and Shelby? They're really DEs. And even inflated by the DAL game, Clayborn took a whopping 9.5 sacks with him to NE. Current TATF thinking is Takk will replace those? Well who will replace Takk's 6.0 sacks off the bench? Or do you expect Takk to get 15.5? Good luck with that. I'm still not convinced he isn't injury prone. And what about Duke? He played like Dook. Do we expect him to improve to the level we need at Will? Could be a gamble. How bout the depth behind Debo, Campbell and Riley? Pretty non-existent. I think there are more holes on defense than you may think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You quite possibly could be underestimating what Poe did last year. He solidified the middle and we had a top 10 run defense. First time in years. Not every DT can do that. Who are the back up DTs? Crawford and Shelby? They're really DEs. And even inflated by the DAL game, Clayborn took a whopping 9.5 sacks with him to NE. Current TATF thinking is Takk will replace those? Well who will replace Takk's 6.0 sacks off the bench? Or do you expect Takk to get 15.5? Good luck with that. I'm still not convinced he isn't injury prone. And what about Duke? He played like Dook. Do we expect him to improve to the level we need at Will? Could be a gamble. How bout the depth behind Debo, Campbell and Riley? Pretty non-existent. I think there are more holes on defense than you may think.

Agreed.

Just about Everybody in TAFT is underestimating what Poe did.

As you pointed out about LB, we are razor thin at many position groups, including WR and of course DT (starter AND rotational pieces) 

Falcons don’t need to be cute like they did in last year’s draft, it always comes back to hurt a team’s depth long-term when they trade away picks. Always. Trading picks causes teams to swing and miss later when they feel they need to make up and end up reaching (see Riley, saubert, Harlow, hill last year after trading up for Takk). See falcons drafting mistakes 2011-12 et al which came out of Julio trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are funny.  We have one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL.  People will say no we don't, but seriously the talent on this team is crazy.  Ryan is a top 5 QB in the league.  You might not think so, but his stats and history say he is.  JJ is one of the top two or three WR in the NFL.  Sanu is probably one of the top 15 - 20 WR and one of the best #2's.  Hooper is coming along and though he made a lot of dumb mistakes last year, he is trending in the correct direction.  Freeman is a very good back, in the top 5 (all-around), Coleman is good.  The Oline is good and I believe ranked in the top 5 last year.  Yes, we need depth, but how many teams don't even have complete starters now.  I have faith in the management that the offensive play calling and strategy will be fixed this year, so yeah we can get their offensively.

Defensively, it looks like we are going to have a top 10 scoring and yards allowed defense again this year.  Yeah, we lost Poe but other than him we lost no major pieces and guys who have been drafted over the past three or four years have another year experience and are still growing.  No reason this teams defense cannot take another step towards being top five in yards allowed and scoring, so yeah we can get their defensively.

Everyone on this site always focuses on the negatives and never on the positives or situational football.  I think a lot of last years woes were caused by Sark being overwhelmed throughout the year and a bit of the "Super bowl" hangover.  Things just didn't seem to go our way a lot of the time and the team didn't respond well.

The simple fact is this.  We lost no major pieces from last year.  We were a top 10 scoring and total yards offense and defense (okay, 15th in offensive scoring so that says a lot).  We are getting younger and the youth has more experience.  We are well coached and our team has a lot of committed leaders who are about the team first.  We have crazy talent at several positions and we were one completion away last year from going to the NFC championship game.  Yeah, we can make it back to the Super Bowl next year on paper.  Now the team just needs to go out there and execute.

GrimeyKidd and Beef like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, papachaz said:

yep, this team ALWAYS has the ability to go "full Falcon"...

The difference between us possibly playing in the Super Bowl and going home in the second round was a Keanu Neal batted pass

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

People are funny.  We have one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL.  People will say no we don't, but seriously the talent on this team is crazy.  Ryan is a top 5 QB in the league.  You might not think so, but his stats and history say he is.  JJ is one of the top two or three WR in the NFL.  Sanu is probably one of the top 15 - 20 WR and one of the best #2's.  Hooper is coming along and though he made a lot of dumb mistakes last year, he is trending in the correct direction.  Freeman is a very good back, in the top 5 (all-around), Coleman is good.  The Oline is good and I believe ranked in the top 5 last year.  Yes, we need depth, but how many teams don't even have complete starters now.  I have faith in the management that the offensive play calling and strategy will be fixed this year, so yeah we can get their offensively.

Defensively, it looks like we are going to have a top 10 scoring and yards allowed defense again this year.  Yeah, we lost Poe but other than him we lost no major pieces and guys who have been drafted over the past three or four years have another year experience and are still growing.  No reason this teams defense cannot take another step towards being top five in yards allowed and scoring, so yeah we can get their defensively.

Everyone on this site always focuses on the negatives and never on the positives or situational football.  I think a lot of last years woes were caused by Sark being overwhelmed throughout the year and a bit of the "Super bowl" hangover.  Things just didn't seem to go our way a lot of the time and the team didn't respond well.

The simple fact is this.  We lost no major pieces from last year.  We were a top 10 scoring and total yards offense and defense (okay, 15th in offensive scoring so that says a lot).  We are getting younger and the youth has more experience.  We are well coached and our team has a lot of committed leaders who are about the team first.  We have crazy talent at several positions and we were one completion away last year from going to the NFC championship game.  Yeah, we can make it back to the Super Bowl next year on paper.  Now the team just needs to go out there and execute.

After so long of disappointment, I think a lot of us just expect to come up short. We were up 28-3 late in the third quarter of the Super Bowl and lost. A lot of us still aren't over that, and we think we blew the best chance we will have for another 20 years.

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our DEF is good enough to win it all for us.  I think our offense is capable of scoring enough points combined with our DEF play.  But we will need a lot of luck for this to happen, imo (which we didn't have last season, so hopefully it balances out for this season). 

I do think a few weapons on offense(OG, and TE/WR) and some DT depth will be what we need to focus on.  With the way Julio is always hurt, it wouldn't be bad to have an extra offensive weapon there with Sanu, as last year we saw how limited the offense was at times when they were hurt, especially when both were hurt.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re good enough to do it, but we’re clearly no longer the best team or best roster in the NFC. I think Eagles have the best roster, just looking at them the other day they honestly don’t have any glaring holes. Rams are up there too, but I’m not buying the hype yet. Vikings are still one of the top teams, I’d put them second. Right now, we’re at 3-5, depending on how u like us. That’s good enough to give us a shot, but not enough to make me overly optimistic with the issues we do have. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is? of course not, literally don't have enough DL. But i expectt DQ & Co will find DTs in the draft and FA.

My general answer is Yes. Offense - the most expensive part of the team - was underwhelming last year and yet the Falcons played the SB champs closer in Philly than either Minnesota (who got blown out at home) or New England (who lost by 8 and gave up 41 on a neutral field). 

For most of us who were Falcons fans before the invention of Twitter, this is what we wanted - a team that would consistently contend. 

Talented and Bigbenright like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an optimist, but we have a gaping hole at DT with undersized LBs. Even if we make DT a priority in the draft, I'm still going to be worried since it's not the easiest position to transition from college to the NFL. I thought we struggled at times against the run last year and that was while we had Poe. 

We need a vet signing to help plug up our run defense. Talent wise everything else looks good.

Right now? No

Week 1? Hopefully 

 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

After so long of disappointment, I think a lot of us just expect to come up short. We were up 28-3 late in the third quarter of the Super Bowl and lost. A lot of us still aren't over that, and we think we blew the best chance we will have for another 20 years.

this is the perfect example of 'going full Falcon' you could have given.....

 

and yes, it's exactly correct

 

tl;dr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You quite possibly could be underestimating what Poe did last year. He solidified the middle and we had a top 10 run defense. First time in years. Not every DT can do that. Who are the back up DTs? Crawford and Shelby? They're really DEs. And even inflated by the DAL game, Clayborn took a whopping 9.5 sacks with him to NE. Current TATF thinking is Takk will replace those? Well who will replace Takk's 6.0 sacks off the bench? Or do you expect Takk to get 15.5? Good luck with that. I'm still not convinced he isn't injury prone. And what about Duke? He played like Dook. Do we expect him to improve to the level we need at Will? Could be a gamble. How bout the depth behind Debo, Campbell and Riley? Pretty non-existent. I think there are more holes on defense than you may think.

We went to the SB with the 23rd ranked defense, no Poe, 2 rookie LB’s, a rookie safety, and 2 2nd year DL’s.

Aside from Gabriel and DiMarco, nothing else on offense is different, except most TE’s (ie Hooper) come into their own starting year 3 (this year), and we just upgraded the OL which was already top-5 by most pundit assessments. 

Our offense was as bad or worse in 2015 as it was last year.  Matt and Shannahan weren’t gelling, Shanny was misusing folks, and receivers were plagued with drops. 

Sounds exactly like Sarkisian’s first year.  Maybe year two Sark pulls a Shanny-year-two?

Maybe Quinn drafts another Grady and Campbell?  And hits on a backup DT and DE?

Acting like Poe, or finding his like replacement, is the make or break of this team is just silly.  We went to a SB with a lesser defense already. 

schwarzenegger321 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beef said:

We went to the SB with the 23rd ranked defense, no Poe, 2 rookie LB’s, a rookie safety, and 2 2nd year DL’s.

Aside from Gabriel and DiMarco, nothing else on offense is different, except most TE’s (ie Hooper) come into their own starting year 3 (this year), and we just upgraded the OL which was already top-5 by most pundit assessments. 

Our offense was as bad or worse in 2015 as it was last year.  Matt and Shannahan weren’t gelling, Shanny was misusing folks, and receivers were plagued with drops. 

Sounds exactly like Sarkisian’s first year.  Maybe year two Sark pulls a Shanny-year-two?

Maybe Quinn drafts another Grady and Campbell?  And hits on a backup DT and DE?

Acting like Poe, or finding his like replacement, is the make or break of this team is just silly.  We went to a SB with a lesser defense already. 

Our offense is older than it was 2 years ago....matt had his career year, Julio/free are starting to get banged up, as are our OL....

you guys are gonna see how bad we miss Poe when he’s replaced by a wet-behind-ears rook and a mediocre FA stiff..

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beef said:

We went to the SB with the 23rd ranked defense, no Poe, 2 rookie LB’s, a rookie safety, and 2 2nd year DL’s.

Against a weak NFC field. The 2018 field will be formidable. Trust me.

Aside from Gabriel and DiMarco, nothing else on offense is different, except most TE’s (ie Hooper) come into their own starting year 3 (this year), and we just upgraded the OL which was already top-5 by most pundit assessments. 

The OG was better, the FB was a Pro Bowler, The starting TE made plays before he got injured and the 3rd and 4th WRs were vets that made plays. Have we covered all that?

Our offense was as bad or worse in 2015 as it was last year.  Matt and Shannahan weren’t gelling, Shanny was misusing folks, and receivers were plagued with drops. 

Sounds exactly like Sarkisian’s first year.  Maybe year two Sark pulls a Shanny-year-two?

Agreed.

Maybe Quinn drafts another Grady and Campbell?  And hits on a backup DT and DE?

He better because FA will be a ghost unless we extend a couple guys and cap strap future years. Even if he does, those rooks will play like rooks and leave holes in the defense.

Acting like Poe, or finding his like replacement, is the make or break of this team is just silly.  We went to a SB with a lesser defense already. 

With the 2016 offense. This is 2018 bro. Totally different roster. Much different league.

 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I don't think so. We're missing DT's and I'm not sold on the G position and we have a RB that is prone to concussions. The time to talk about this is when we fill those positions and we'll go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly right NOW

Defense

3 DE  +2PS

3DT  +3PS

4LB

5CB +  2PS

2S  +3PS

17 OF USUAL 25

AND SOME OF THESE HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE

OFFENSE

4 WR +  2PS

3TE  +1PS

3 RB

0 FB

2 QB  +2PS

11 OL + 2 PS

 

23 OF USUAL 25 ------TOO MANY OL

AND SOME OF THESE HAVE LITTLE PLAYING TIME

 

SOOO  NO  NOT ENOUGH MANPOWER

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talent-wise we're one of the top 5 NFC teams.  But talent is not enough to get you to the SB.

It takes depth (which we dont' have),  cohesion, focus, smart coaching, and luck.  We had most of those the second half of 2016, and for 2-and-three-quarters games in the playoffs.  We had an historically powerful offense and still couldn't get it done.

It's possible to get back, of course.  But it's very hard to do, and the window is closing on this team's chances.  If they don't make it back this year, it might be a while before they do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites