The best drafting team for the last decade

8 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I would guess the Patriots.  They can draft a Wal-Mart cashier in the 5th round and 3 years later turn him into a Super Bowl MVP. 

That is coaching.  We are living in a unique period of football.

Belichick is the best NFL coach in history.  Saban is the best college coach in history. 

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

So hard to say

My top 5 in no particular order:

Vikings

Falcons

Eagles

Seahawks (have since fallen off, but their great drafting earlier part of the decade led them to a SB titile, back 2 back SB appearances, and a historically dominant defense.)

Steelers

Jags?  Look at that defense they've built on high draft picks.  I'd probably put them at or near the top of this list.

23 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Nah, he is the best there has ever been.  The only problem is that he is not your head coach.  

Yup.. He's so good that he's 'evil' if you're another team in the SEC.  Then again, he's 'evil' if you're another team playing his team!   Yeah, Saban's the best there is now and likely to be the best ever. Funny that the other coach that can be mentioned in his breath also coached at Bama. 

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

So according to them our 2016 class with Neal, Debo, Hooper, Campbell, and Scweitzer  = out to a 0.00 Value?   That was probably the best 2016 draft class top to bottom their was as we got 5 starters out of 6 picks and 2 of them went to the pro bowl lol.

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

So according to them our 2016 class with Neal, Debo, Hooper, Campbell, and Scweitzer  = out to a 0.00 Value?   That was probably the best 2016 draft class top to bottom their was as we got 5 starters out of 6 picks and 2 of them went to the pro bowl lol.

That's not exactly how that works. Its not simply the value of a player, but its also the number of value players and how the value of each pertains in accordance to other teams and their drafts. How did the rest of the picks fare besides the main three?

All teams use a combination of BPA vs need.

The Pats have one of the worst draft records. What they excel at is scouring the bottom of NFL rosters and earthing contributors in that scheme and then developing them.

I would say we're in the conversation along with the likes of the Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Panthers etc

47 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Nope. Don’t let their record fool you. That’s one of the biggest problems when you don’t know much about a team

Agree. Jax for years was awful even after some excellent drafts. 

Wouldn’t surprise me to see things start to come together this year for Browns. 

4 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

All teams use a combination of BPA vs need.

The Pats have one of the worst draft records. What they excel at is scouring the bottom of NFL rosters and earthing contributors in that scheme and then developing them.

I would say we're in the conversation along with the likes of the Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Panthers etc

I would put Vikings in that conversation. They’ve had some big misses, especially at QB, but they’ve built a nice team there mainly through the draft. 

13 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I've liked some of their picks recently.

Still can't get past them not taking Wentz 2 years ago.

It’s almost like at this point they are afraid to take a qb. They for certain screwed the pooch on that draft. It’s starting to feel like they are heading in the right direction though. I’m so glad I’m not a browns fan. 

The best drafting team for the last decade

Tough to say. Hard to compare teams like CLE and JAX who've been picking in the top 5 slots for a decade to teams like NE and PIT who've been picking at the bottom of every round. The only way to determine this is to look at the combined draft capital of each team over the last decade and weigh that against the combined value of the players they acquired. That is possible but would be an exercise from hail.  

I don't think we're in the conversation. We've only had two great draft classes over the last decade. 2008 and 2016. The rest were just meh. We fkd up a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. It took us six years to draft a decent corner, seven years to draft a decent OT and eight years to draft a decent edge rusher. All three of them have serious question marks. It took seven years to draft a low round gem.

We had whole draft classes vanish from the league just a few years after they were selected. And don't get me started on Dimi's need based hole plugging draft strategy. That don't work when you can't evaluate talent. We drafted a bunch of slugs to fill gaping holes and left several as beatin beasts on the boards. We spent over 60% of our picks on the defensive side of the ball but that only recently began to pay off. Don't forget we traded away 15 valuable picks for a handful of players.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Nope. Don’t let their record fool you. That’s one of the biggest problems when you don’t know much about a team

Nothing to do with their record. They have just been terrible at drafting. They traded the 6th pick to us in possibly the most loaded Top 10 EVER. The picks they got? Almost all out of the league. They drafted Manziel. They drafted Weeden. They drafted Kizer. They drafted 5 WR IN ONE DRAFT! And their first pick was under 6 feet! They passed on Watson and Wentz.

They haven’t been bad at drafting. They’ve been historically bad at drafting. 

Don’t be fooled by Myles Garrett (no-brainer) and a couple decent picks when they are drafting at the top every year. 

Edited by NeonDeion