jlrfalcon

Falcons Should Pay Matt Ryan Whatever He Wants!

46 posts in this topic

I get personally attacked if I suggest there is a point at which Ryan's "worth" to this team diminishes (and the Falcons look at other options such as a draft pick or trade).  So, let's go the opposite route and say that Ryan is invaluable to this team, so the Falcons must pay him whatever he wants as he cannot be replaced.

Ryan probably has cemented himself as one of the greatest Falcons ever with at least 5+ years of playing time still to go.  He has won an MVP and got us to the SuperBowl and several other playoff games.  Most of Atlanta would give up immediately on a season if Ryan was hurt while other players including Freeman, Julio, Beasley, etc. could probably be overcome.  He also has a great personal character and few would ever suspect him of any criminal wrongdoing.

My question is simply this - how much of the payroll does Ryan deserve (10%, 20%, 50%, ?) - is Ryan worth the combined salaries of our entire offensive line?

This is intended to be a positive thread - tell the board why Ryan is so great and how it should be rewarded.  And, if your opinion or viewpoint varies from others, I encourage you to respond maturely with an explanation why rather than personally attacking the person.

tactician likes this

I have a feeling this isn't going to go the way you want it to. I didn't agree with the personal attacks in your other Matt Ryan thread. However the subject matter of said thread has been rehashed ad nauseam and was  most likely why the attacks ensued.  I'm afraid this one will probably end up the same way.

Posted (edited)

Nope, sorry.  I think 15% is the max we can afford to give him.  We need an offensive line and those other players you mentioned.

One thing that makes Matt so valuable is he does not get injured often.  The other thing is he is a generally accurate passer and is mildly conservative so he won't lose many games for us.  He is consistent.  He makes great decisions with the ball, unlike guys like Bortles who do really dumb things under pressure.  Overall, he is the best Falcons QB of all time.

The bad things are, he needs good protection to succeed, so you have to invest heavily in OL, FB, RB positions with Matt.  This means you also cannot ever have a top 5 defense while giving Matt what he needs on offense unless you get Matt for very cheap, which at this point cannot be done.

The difference between Matt and a journeyman QB is worth about $12M to me.  So that's two other very good players plus a journeyman QB is equivalent to Matt in my eyes.  For example, a guy like Sam Bradford plus Poe and Beasley would be worth one Matt Ryan.  No, Bradford is not as good as Ryan because his knee can give out, but having a beast DT and DE would compensate.

It's simple math.  The more we spend on Matt, the less we have for everyone else.  I don't think we can have enough good players if Matt makes more than 15% of the cap.

Edited by DogIsYourName

5 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Nope, sorry.  I think 15% is the max we can afford to give him.  We need an offensive line and those other players you mentioned.

One thing that makes Matt so valuable is he does not get injured often.  The other thing is he is a generally accurate passer and is mildly conservative so he won't lose many games for us.  He is consistent.  He makes great decisions with the ball, unlike guys like Bortles who do really dumb things under pressure.  Overall, he is the best Falcons QB of all time.

The bad things are, he needs good protection to succeed, so you have to invest heavily in OL, FB, RB positions with Matt.  This means you also cannot ever have a top 5 defense while giving Matt what he needs on offense unless you get Matt for very cheap, which at this point cannot be done.

The difference between Matt and a journeyman QB is worth about $12M to me.  So that's two other very good players plus a journeyman QB is equivalent to Matt in my eyes.  For example, a guy like Sam Bradford plus Poe and Beasley would be worth one Matt Ryan.  No, Bradford is not as good as Ryan because his knee can give out, but having a beast DT and DE would compensate.

It's simple math.  The more we spend on Matt, the less we have for everyone else.  I don't think we can have enough good players if Matt makes more than 15% of the cap.

Ryan won't take up 15% of the cap. His cap hits in % first 3 years of deal from his last extension: 7.8%, 13.2% , 13.6%, it was billed as a 20 mil a year deal, it was actually less than that, he never hit 20 mil until year 4, when he was 15% of the cap.

Same will happen with this extension, it'll be billed as 30 mil a year, but it'll be less than that because of the way they do extensions. By the time Ryan has a 30 mil cap hit in year 4, the cap will have gone up by about 40 mil a year and 30 mil will be about 14% of the cap.

If they sign him to a 28 mil a year deal, even smaller cap hits.

14 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Ryan won't take up 15% of the cap. His cap hits in % first 3 years of deal from his last extension: 7.8%, 13.2% , 13.6%, it was billed as a 20 mil a year deal, it was actually less than that, he never hit 20 mil until year 4, when he was 15% of the cap.

Same will happen with this extension, it'll be billed as 30 mil a year, but it'll be less than that because of the way they do extensions. By the time Ryan has a 30 mil cap hit in year 4, the cap will have gone up by about 40 mil a year and 30 mil will be about 14% of the cap.

If they sign him to a 28 mil a year deal, even smaller cap hits.

Sorry, but you can't bring facts up in this joint!!

Ryan has been great for this franchise. We've been in the playoffs 6 out of 10 years with him as a starter and only had a losing season 2 out of the 10. He's also been durable through out his career despite playing behind some shoddy offensive lines. I also think he's still getting better at QB with experience. 

Every player has a finite value. Typically players who reach FA get paid above that value. That's the way of the NFL.

I'd love it if he took a team friendly deal that pays him between 20-25m a year, but in reality that's probably not going to happen. I expect he'll sign a deal that makes him the 'highest' paid QB in the league but one that is structured so that it still enables us to put a competitve team on the field.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I find it extremely hilarious to see a few posters that get extremely stupid if I take it hard on someone for making a bad post do the same and seem okay with it. Very very telling

I wish we would bring back the negative point system.  Maybe it would make some of these...posters...think twice about their incredibly dumb posts.

the % comparisons noted above make me feel a bit better   the problem is there are a lot of very good YOUNG QBs emerging (Texans, Rams, Philly?) who we have to compete with and they have low salaries and can bring in better players

out of curiosity, what would happen if we low-balled him (but still paid ryan one of the top 10 salaries for QBs)?  what would be the LEAST he would agree to?  is he being held hostage by his agent and can he override the agent's greed and need for prestige about ryan 'being the top paid player in the nfl'?  I don't expect it to happen just curious

14 minutes ago, ket222 said:

the % comparisons noted above make me feel a bit better   the problem is there are a lot of very good YOUNG QBs emerging (Texans, Rams, Philly?) who we have to compete with and they have low salaries and can bring in better players

out of curiosity, what would happen if we low-balled him (but still paid ryan one of the top 10 salaries for QBs)?  what would be the LEAST he would agree to?  is he being held hostage by his agent and can he override the agent's greed and need for prestige about ryan 'being the top paid player in the nfl'?  I don't expect it to happen just curious

Young QBs rise and fall all the time. Remember Carr? He fell back to earth. Watson and Wentz coming off ACL tears and the league has more tape on them. Goff has more tape. And they will all get paid in a few years too.

There’s not actually that many cheap starting QBs that are serious threats. 

papachaz and falconidae like this

Still if Ryan took a team friendly deal no guarantee the players the team brings in will make the team better in any way. Sure it looks good on paper. How many times does it work out as planned? With football anything can happen. Injury, poor play, players not working together as a team. Or coaching staff not putting together a good game plan. 

Even if Ryan takes a deal to help the team. Even he could still get hurt before the season even gets started. Then what happens will the team play better with or without Ryan at QB?

papachaz likes this