vel

NFL Draft 2016 vs 2018

50 posts in this topic

Not bumping this as a humble brag, but more something useful as it's essentially draft season for the Falcons. With 2016 and 2018 as examples, this draft is very deep along the DL. With the roster fairly set elsewhere (QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, CB, S), a first rounder is most likely being spent on the trenches. We know that. But at #14, don't be surprised if they go OL. Especially if they spend most of their cap space on the DL like I expect. 

On 4/5/2018 at 0:57 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I totally get OP's line of logic and I think its persuasive. However, drafting a WR/TE/CB in the first round and expecting a significant first-year impact is a pretty bad idea, IMO. That doesnt mean we can't touch those positions early, it means we need to be realistic about how that is likely to play out. 

Still think that way? I’m curious as I may have wrote this post myself a time or two lol

2 hours ago, vel said:

Not bumping this as a humble brag, but more something useful as it's essentially draft season for the Falcons. With 2016 and 2018 as examples, this draft is very deep along the DL. With the roster fairly set elsewhere (QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, CB, S), a first rounder is most likely being spent on the trenches. We know that. But at #14, don't be surprised if they go OL. Especially if they spend most of their cap space on the DL like I expect. 

I’m with you on most stuff, but how is rb settled? Are you a believer in Hill, Ito and Free?

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I’m with you on most stuff, but how is rb settled? Are you a believer in Hill, Ito and Free?

IMO, we could be IF you settle the OL. So, OL must be the priority. We just had an amazing season from Ryan without a run game or OL. Get an OL and he can carry offense more even if RBs are mediorce. Fix the line.

Fix.

The.

Line! 

lol sorry

LOS is our biggest concern. Then:

CB (Alford decision vs another outside corner not named Oliver or Tru is???)

LB (What do we do if DeBo goes down again? Vondre and Debo on final years...maybe we are okay with starters but depth)

TE depth (period, Paulsen is a FA and we have no proven blocker for TE beyond Hoop)

RB depending on Free's return and Ito/Hill projecting forward...a FB might be a concern but only someone versatile enough like DiMarco was

But ya OL way more important to the success on O next year; read influencing both pass and run game. Ryan was lethal without consistent pass blocking and most games having no balance.

DL most important factor to success on D moving forward SINCE we have Neal/Debo/Allen collectively back as sure tacklers. Neas/Kazee showed to be good depth when it was all said and done. Kazee not quite the tackler or captain we need like Allen; way under valued and under appreciated, but we got a ballhawk who will see the field. If Poole is back as a RFA great! Or we get at least a 2nd if we put tender on him as well.

MSalmon, VTCrunkler, Stryka and 1 other like this

Just now, Vandy said:

We may have to.

All depends on VB. If we leverage not committing $13M to him and help solve some of the other LOS concerns, then yes DE suddenly is a draft focus. This relies on Irvin being back and Takk projecting forward as well weighing in on VB/draft options for DE. If Vic is back cheaper that's the best scenario for us, IMO.

Vandy likes this

The number one need is a better OL.  That can not be stressed enough.  A better OL allows us to not only score more points, but also hold onto the ball longer.  Fewer possessions by the opposition means fewer opportunities to score against us.  

The interior OL (specifically the OG's) is our greatest weakness.  Yes, Schraeder played poorly, but I believe there is a physical reason for his apparent decline.  It remains to be seen whether he will be healthier next season.

The second priority is DT.  We have decent playmakers at the second and third levels of our defense, but our front line has played poorly.  We need at least one good DT to pair with Jarrett.  And by good I mean very good....a guy that will command the attention of multiple blockers.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

14 hours ago, vel said:

I’m half expecting Gerald McCoy

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I’m half expecting Gerald McCoy

Haven't been following him much. Is he still very good? Do you think he will be excellent for our defense? I was hoping we either get sheldon Richardson or Muhammed wilkersons ( former jets lineman).

Knight of God and Ergo Proxy like this

54 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Haven't been following him much. Is he still very good? Do you think he will be excellent for our defense? I was hoping we either get sheldon Richardson or Muhammed wilkersons ( former jets lineman).

He wasn’t good this year. I have just been hearing that it’s very possible 

ShadyRef likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think McCoy would be a much better compliment inside as part of a rotation than McClain was.

Of course,the number has to be right on a rental. Maybe he comes cheaper for a SB shot?:shrug:

Other DT plans may rule the day.

If McCoy gets signed, does that mean grady play the nose? 

18 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Ridley had an impact and was a good addition. However I will say senat, and Oliver are disappointments.

I would like to see how they look under Quinn as defensive coordinator. Remember how our rookies and defender looked before and after Quinn took it over midseason in 2016? Now that Marquand is gone, let's see how they look next season. 

Embrace the suck likes this

22 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Ridley had an impact and was a good addition. However I will say senat, and Oliver are disappointments.

Senat and Oliver both barely played and they were 2nd and 3rd round rookies. DT and CB are hard positions to translate. Have to learn run fits, leverage techniques, adjust to NFL speed and digest the playbook. They flashed but they also had their rookie lumps. I think both will be closer to coming around the learning curve with another offseason and more game experience. Dont be so hard on them. 

VTCrunkler likes this

21 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

If McCoy gets signed, does that mean grady play the nose? 

Still would be an undersized line imo. I know we have different schemes but we have been thrashing Tampa the last couple years. 

Watching big bodies this weekend like Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Cox, Jernnigan, DJ Reader (Texans), Brandon Williams (Ravens)  is what we need. All playing/played on play off teams. All off those games were physical at the LOS. I don’t think McCoy does that anymore. He had Vita Vea next to him and his production was meh. 

Draft the big boys in the first and one FA. 

Stryka and ShadyRef like this

27 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Senat and Oliver both barely played and they were 2nd and 3rd round rookies. DT and CB are hard positions to translate. Have to learn run fits, leverage techniques, adjust to NFL speed and digest the playbook. They flashed but they also had their rookie lumps. I think both will be closer to coming around the learning curve with another offseason and more game experience. Dont be so hard on them. 

Lots of DTs had instant impact last year like BJ Hill, Vea, and Daron Payne. I think it will take Senat and Oliver a while to acclimate because they are project type players.

9 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Still would be an undersized line imo. I know we have different schemes but we have been thrashing Tampa the last couple years. 

Watching big bodies this weekend like Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Cox, Jernnigan, DJ Reader (Texans), Brandon Williams (Ravens)  is what we need. All playing/played on play off teams. All off those games were physical at the LOS. I don’t think McCoy does that anymore. He had Vita Vea next to him and his production was meh. 

Draft the big boys in the first and one FA. 

Bingo. Trench warfare was on full display this past weekend.  You need beef there. You cant get by in this league with 250 lbs DEs and fringe 300 pounders at DT. Somebody has to command a double team or your run D will be subpar. I mean we saw us have a top 10 Defense with a 340 lb Nose and 280 lbs DE in Poe and Clayborn. We lose them(along with others obviously) and we cant stop anyone. We absolutely have to address the DL specifically inside. We also need to look at a stout DE who can run stop. If you cant stop the run you wont get many opportunities to rush the passer. Its football 101. Look what Ravens, Cowboys, Browns and Saints did to us in the losing streak. 

6 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Lots of DTs had instant impact last year like BJ Hill, Vea, and Daron Payne. I think it will take Senat and Oliver a while to acclimate because they are project type players.

Those guys were also starters pretty much and played a whole lot more. They got trial by fire. Instead of us sticking Senat in there when McClain was being ineffective we went smaller and played Jack more. 

18 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Enough to not spend a first rounder on one? Yea. Enough to not spend a day two pick on one? Yea. Fix the OL and you and I can run behind a good OL in this scheme. Look at Phillip Lindsay....

runshoot and BlazerSlayer like this

23 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Still think that way? I’m curious as I may have wrote this post myself a time or two lol

Yep. I'm happy Ridley turned out as well as he did and flashed the way he did. But he's closer to an exception than an expectation. I think we count ourselves as lucky/successful in our ability to scout the player and move on lol.

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yep. I'm happy Ridley turned out as well as he did and flashed the way he did. But he's closer to an exception than an expectation. I think we count ourselves as lucky/successful in our ability to scout the player and move on lol.

Lol I didn’t foresee a WR either. So I’m in same boat. Like you said, it turned out great!