Falcons Have Visits Scheduled w/ Rashaan Evans & Leighton Vander Esch. Would You Hate Linebacker @ 26?

The two linebackers often mocked in Round 1 that Atlanta is scheduled to meet with are Rashaan Evans from Alabama and Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State. I'm not as high on Leighton as some, but personally I love the idea of Rashaan Evans at 26. He's going to be a killer pro. Has scheme versatility, can play inside and outside and is a plus pass rusher for an off-ball linebacker. Big guy, 6'2 around 240lbs. He didn't run at the combine so I don't know about his straight-line speed but the tape speaks for itself and the scouting community seems to love him, not sure why he hasn't gotten more hype.  He's every bit as good as a Roquan Smith in my opinion.

Looking at our linebacker depth outside of Deion Jones, do we really have a "sure thing"? De'Vondre Campbell is good, but still has a lot of growth to go through. Duke Riley's rookie year was a bit underwhelming to a lot with tackling issues. He was relegated to special teams by mid-season after beginning the year in the starting lineup. I'm interested to see how he looks in year 2 but he isn't a sure thing either and our linebacker depth isn't exactly a team strength.

With that being said, how would you feel if we went linebacker at 26 if all of the Round 1 DT's are off the board? (Vea, Payne, Hurst, Bryan). Rashaan Evans would be a slam dunk pick imo and a Day 1 upgrade over Riley and possibly even Campbell imo. A down-hill, aggressive attacking linebacker exactly what Dan Quinn loves. His tape speaks volumes. Vander-Esch, I'm not as sold on but I maintain that LB is in-fact a position of need.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Arkridge

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Link? The only thing that I've seen says "meeting" with Vander Esch which doesn't necessarily infer a Top 30 visit. 

It was Cory Woodroff from Falcoholic and Rise Up Reader on twitter, let me try and find a link though.

Edited by Arkridge

11 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Link? The only thing that I've seen says "meeting" with Vander Esch which doesn't necessarily infer a Top 30 visit. 

Here's the Vander-Esch bit. Stand-by for the Rashaan Evans one, just asked Cory and he's good at replying quickly.

Edited by Arkridge

Just now, hjerry said:

The only report that I've seen thus far which specifically says they are coming to us for a visit is Siran Neal

Nick Chubb doesn't count since he's local

Maybe I'm confusing "meeting" and "visiting". I honestly didn't think there was a difference.

Sorry to be such a stickler about this, but it's a major distinction. Private visits where prospects come to us are limited to only 30 total (not counting local prospects) while we can meet with as many prospects as we want as long as it's off campus. 

Just now, hjerry said:

Sorry to be such a stickler about this, but it's a major distinction. Private visits where prospects come to us are limited to only 30 total (not counting local prospects) while we can meet with as many prospects as we want as long as it's off campus. 

Gotcha. Here's a link. What do you think? This one specifically says visit.

Just now, Arkridge said:

Gotcha. Here's a link. What do you think? This one specifically says visit.

Yeah, that and the other seem legit. I have no reason to doubt them. 

FTR, I never really doubted you either; I just wanted to see the report since I had yet to hear this had happened.

Just now, hjerry said:

Yeah, that and the other seem legit. I have no reason to doubt them. 

FTR, I never really doubted you either; I just wanted to see the report since I had yet to hear this had happened.

No problem man! Can I get your thoughts on how you'd feel about Evans or Vander-Esch at 26 if the top DTs are unavailable?

Just now, Arkridge said:

No problem man! Can I get your thoughts on how you'd feel about Evans or Vander-Esch at 26 if the top DTs are unavailable?

They'd be interesting picks for sure. 

The thing is, and another poster touched on this in another thread, it isn't really guaranteed that we'll take/go after a Poe clone. I mean, I'm sure Quinn would love to get a rookie who could do what he did for us, but they at very least likely won't pigeonhole themselves into needing that specifically. What they really want is a way to produce on the field in a similar manner, and upgrading our LB core would be one possible means to that end.

15 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Vander Esch would’ve been a fantastic, pro bowl type LBer 10-15 years ago. Now.... not so much. Not a fan. 

He's pretty darn athletic at least from the combine #s. I haven't watched him but sheesh his numbers are sick.

I don’t see either in play for us at 26...I think 2nd round is more likely...

Evans showed below avg lower body explosiveness at combine and he never ran a 40...highly doubt we draft him

Vander is a possibility in 2nd as SLB...we can upgrade there over Campbell.

Just due diligence here, nothing alarming...

@hjerryI’m still not finding many links to any 1st round DL talent. Keeping close to chest or not meeting with them? Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, HEIST said:

He's pretty darn athletic at least from the combine #s. I haven't watched him but sheesh his numbers are sick.

The workout and tape don't completely translate imo. He doesn't play with his feet in quicksand, he's quick for a big dude not QUITE as athletic as the numbers say, in my opinion. I much prefer Rashaan Evans, who plays like he's on fire.

Edited by Arkridge

Just now, Arkridge said:

The workout and tape don't completely translate imo. He doesn't play with his feet in quicksand, he's quick for a bit dude not QUITE as athletic as the numbers say, in my opinion. I much prefer Rashaan Evans, who plays like he's on fire.

Yeah I've only read on Vander Esch. I've seen people say he's really athletic and then some say he's slow too (before workouts, too).

I'm not against LB because I don't like these DTs. I like Hurst but Falcons aren't gonna consider him with his workout. Payne is overhyped, Bryan is another Shede type, Vea is probably a 2 down guy.

Grab the #BPA in round 1 and then grab Shepherd or Nichols.. or both.

4 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Yeah I've only read on Vander Esch. I've seen people say he's really athletic and then some say he's slow too (before workouts, too).

I'm not against LB because I don't like these DTs. I like Hurst but Falcons aren't gonna consider him with his workout. Payne is overhyped, Bryan is another Shede type, Vea is probably a 2 down guy.

Grab the #BPA in round 1 and then grab Shepherd or Nichols.. or both.

That's a great comp on Taven Bryan. I've also comped him to Robert Nkemdiche. All the athletic ability but way too often looks like he has absolutely no idea what he's doing. Chicken with his head cut off.

1 hour ago, Arkridge said:

The two linebackers often mocked in Round 1 that Atlanta is scheduled to meet with are Rashaan Evans from Alabama and Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State. I'm not as high on Leighton as some, but personally I love the idea of Rashaan Evans at 26. He's going to be a killer pro. Has scheme versatility, can play inside and outside and is a plus pass rusher for an off-ball linebacker. Big guy, 6'2 around 240lbs. He didn't run at the combine so I don't know about his straight-line speed but the tape speaks for itself and the scouting community seems to love him, not sure why he hasn't gotten more hype.  He's every bit as good as a Roquan Smith in my opinion.

Looking at our linebacker depth outside of Deion Jones, do we really have a "sure thing"? De'Vondre Campbell is good, but still has a lot of growth to go through. Duke Riley's rookie year was a bit underwhelming to a lot with tackling issues. He was relegated to special teams by mid-season after beginning the year in the starting lineup. I'm interested to see how he looks in year 2 but he isn't a sure thing either and our linebacker depth isn't exactly a team strength.

With that being said, how would you feel if we went linebacker at 26 if all of the Round 1 DT's are off the board? (Vea, Payne, Hurst, Bryan). Rashaan Evans would be a slam dunk pick imo and a Day 1 upgrade over Riley and possibly even Campbell imo. A down-hill, aggressive attacking linebacker exactly what Dan Quinn loves. His tape speaks volumes. Vander-Esch, I'm not as sold on but I maintain that LB is in-fact a position of need.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about these two players. 

But on the subject of visits --- WR Vyncint Smith was supposed to meet with the Falcons on Monday, and I was wondering if that did in fact take place.....haven't seen anything about it, anywhere!  I sure hope they get a good look at this guy, 'cause he can get it done!  Plus, he's actually over 6 ft. tall --- what a concept!  :lol: