Mock 2.1 with a trade down

MSalmon

Mock draft 2.1. with trade downs. This is my “alternate” mock. In this one, I explore a possible trade down.

This mock, like my previous one with no trades, focused on adding toughness and physicality on both sides of the ball.

I don’t think that we’re huge players in FA, but I do think we sign a vet DT or two. Most likely two. Here are my “top” signings:

Jonathan Hankins NT 6’2” 330 3 yrs $21m (used Beau Allen’s contract as baseline)

—he’s 25 , has some pass  provides a pass rush, but he’s a more than adequate if not very good run stuffer. He could end up with a Poe type of 1 yr deal as well—a prove it short term deal. That’s fine, although I think he’d be a great investment 

Courtney Upshaw 1 yr $1.15m

—Upshaw might not make final roster but he’s an insurance deal and low cost.

I could also see Ish re-signing cheap as well 

There will be some definite small signings, as usual, but these are the big ones—not very impressive but important signings. WE ALWAYS SIGN AT LEAST ONE VET. No way we go into the 2018 season with all rookies.

Going into draft I see at this time a few major areas:

1. Guard...ok, I’m captain obvious here
  2. Defensive tackle. All we have beyond Grady and Crawford are NT types and the ever versatile but not great Rubin
  3. Defensive End....yes, we have Takk and Vic but a Clayborn is gone and we need a big bodied guy who can move inside
  4. Running back may be a concern, but who knows what we’ll do with Teco. I think this is see what talent falls and grab. Probably a power guy to at least try and unseat Ward.
  5. Secondary. Tru and Alford are great but not a bunch beyond them. I think we lack that long cb that we thought we had in Jalen Collins.

******************************************************************************** 

Now the Draft:

Trade with Miami:

--Miami trades back into the first round to select QB, Mason Randolph Ok State with the #26 overalll pick

--Miami sends their 2018  2nd round pick (#42), 2018 3rd round pick (#73) and 2018 fourth round pick (#131 overall) to Atlanta for the #26 overall

--Using the trade value chart, Miami’s package is 746 points total value for the #26 pick which has a total value of 700 points. They overpay slightly but such is the cost to grab a QB.

*************************************************************************************************************

RD 2 Nick Chubb, rb UGA 5’11” 228 (#42 overall from Miami)

—We are bringing him in for a visit and this is a need both now and in the very near future. Before you go all “he’s a homer,” check out these numbers:

-4.52 forty yard dash

-29 bench presses

-38.5 vert and 128 inch broad

Folks, those are the type of athletic and power numbers our coaching staff and TD love. Plus he is very secure with the ball. This is a patient runner with great balance. Almost a more powerful Freeman. He finds the creases and while some will question his long speed, I think that he’s got home run ability. He looked good in passing drills. Remember Teco wasn’t a known in the passing game as well. 

You say why do we spend this high a pick on a running back. I answer with the following:’

1)     We all just assume that Chubb couldn’t beat out Teco for carries. I say let the best man win.

2)     We could trade Teco, but I’m not sure if the value is there

3)     Injuries happen and we want to run the ball. Having three very capable backs is a plus

4)     In short yardage and goal line situations this kid is money

5)     Remember the saints with Peterson, Ingram in tow but adding Kamura? 

We have to get him in the second or he's gone. I select him with a smile on my face

Rd 2 #58 (our original pick) Hayden Hurst, TE South Carolina 6’4” 250 lbs

--We need another target for Matt and decide to help run game at same time with a TE vs. a WR

--Hurst ran a 4.67 forty and had a 120 inch broad jump with shows some explosion. Hurst has sticky fingers and is a capable blocker. He is 25 and needs to improve his route running a bit, but his fearless demeanor and work ethic will endear him to DQ and Sark. Now TE becomes a position of strength.

-Again, could have went WR but Hurst has the ability to be a big receiver and improve both our 3rd down efficiency and run blocking.

--Hurst brings a tough guy mentality to our TE corps. I think Hurst, Hooper and hopefully an improved Saubert gives us a strong and young TE corps. 

RD 3 BJ Hill, DT NC State 6’4” 315 lbs (#73 from Miami)

—Same Pick. For one we’ve been linked to this kid a lot. Two he’s a team captain (plus), great motor and he’s got measurable similar to Mohamed Wilkerson. He’s perfect for our scheme. Athletic

Great instincts. Averages 3 PDs a season in college. He can rotate as an active NT,  or even paired up with Hankins, or in the big rush DE spot that Bryant used to play.  Long arms and high motor. He fits right into our rotation of Grady and Hankins.

-He will score high on the CT score. I love his physicality and strong motor. 

I love this kid. Maybe this is a round early, but I’m good with it.

Rd 3 (#90 our original pick) Jessie Bates FS, Wake Forest 6’1” 200 pounds

-Not as rangy as you’d like but fluid in coverage and intelligent. Can also play the slot CB role.

-Competes with Rico early for FS. Could be long term solution at FS

-Nice ball skills and very instinctive. His versatility is akin to a more instinctive and athletic Rico

-Nice Length and good ball skills both in INT and return of INTs

-We have great depth in the secondary with this pick

Rd 4 (#126 from Miami) Braden Smith, G Auburn 6’6” 315 lbs

--We’ve been linked to him a lot. He’s a mauler

--Powerful drive blocker who showed some explosiveness at the Combine (33 in vert and 113 broad); also benched 220 x 35 reps

-Has emergency RT value; Fusco signing means we don’t have to rush him but I could see him winning a starting job early.

--I chose the below vid which shows him at RT in some packages

-Athletic enough to succeed in zbs, powerful enough to make a difference in short yardage. Gives us a nice depth chart of young Gs to develop post-Levitre next year if we like

RD 4 (our original pick) Fred Warner, LB BYU 6’3” 230 lbs

-       Ran a 4.6 forty

-       38.5 inch vert an 119 inch broad jump

-       -11.77 second 60 yd shuttle

Good in coverage. Moves like a Strong Safety. Has strong production and flashes play making ability

-I know this sounds crazy but he looks like a lanky athletic DQ LBs. At the 3:04 mark you see him make a nice INT 20 yds downfield. He can matchup with TEs

Immediate STs help and critical depth to an already athletic LB corps. Can compete with Riley for playing time. Can play WLB or SLB with his length and speed.

Like most LB prospects will need to improve his tackle technique and improve strength.

Rd. 6 Justin Jones DT, NC State 6’2” 315 lbs

—Jones is one of those DTs that gets lost in the shuffle as a JAG. But he’s a wide bodied, strong guy with some athletic ability, he gets overshadowed on that N.C. State line but he’s got a great motor and can get bigger. Might end up being a nice NT type. Yes, we go for DL teammates again. Heck, it worked with Vic and Grady.

--Not much pass rush but can be an effective rotational NT in our system. Although, I see penetration and the ability to improve his pass rush.

-Stout kid who you can see adding weight without sacrificing strength or quickness

--Good instincts with raw power. If he can learn to play with leverage he could be a solid rotational guy.

Rd 7A Ryan Nall FB San Diego State 6’2” 232  lbs

-4.58 forty; 33 inch vert and 122 inch broad jump, so shows explosion

-Capable of playing H-Back and traditional FB. Nice hands

-Has carry value, as well. Led the beavers in rushing with 165 carries for 810 yards and 8 rush TDs; chipped in with 27 receptions for 240 yds and 2 TDs.

-What I like about Nall is he's a FB that can tote the rock if we need him too. He sorta reminds me of a stronger Rex Burkhead. Nothing to do with being white, he just is a versatile player that has sneaky speed and athleticism 

We are linked to him.

Rd. 7b Joe Ostman DE/LB Central Michigan 6'3" 250 lbs

—This is one of those just hardworking tough guys that are hard to keep off rosters. He's just a relentless pass rusher.

-The combine snubbed this FBS sack leader, but Brooks Reed better watch out He could definitely stick on STs but he could also grow into a good situational rusher.

PRIORITY UDFAS:

This is too hard to project but I think Chandon Sullivan and Kentavius Street are two of our targets.

**************************************************************************************************************************

In conclusion, I improved both sides of the lines. With Smith added we have great depth in Harlow, Wes and Fusco. Sambo can back up RT and Wes or Smith can cross train there, Fusco is good for both Gs and Center depth. 

Hill is an immediate contributor, Justin Jones and Ostman could stick around. Both are tough and relentless with good athleticism. Jones is my sleeper pick at NT. He’s not Payne but he gets the job done
Our rb trio is simply fantastic. Teco trade? Heck, we may just ride out the trio this year. There are ways to get touches for all 3.

Bates has size and great instincts. He can play big CB or FS. is that big cb that DQ covets. I think Rico should worry about his job long term.

Warner is a long and athletic LB prospect. His coverage ability will be a plus. I really like this addition to our LB corps. He could challenge and beat out Duke Riley for more playing time. We rotate LBs a lot, regardless.

And Nall is an athletic Fullback. Ostman is a great Mr. Irrelevant

Special Teams gets improved immediately with the additions of Bates, Warner, Ostman and Nall. All provide athleticism and can contribute beyond STs. Bates may initially start on STs but we could see Kazee and even Rico see more time on STs as this kid develops.

I think Bates pushes Rico to NB and reserve FS by mid-season. That’s a good thing.

That’s it. Fire away. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TRUju2111 said:

I love how everyone pretty much picks the same players, nobody has any originality when it comes to mocks these days

It’s hard too lol

we all have access to same info. Most mockerfocker myself included get more precise about a week or two before draft

I use @Unintentional Grounding Players thread for my picks.

@Knight of God

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

It’s hard too lol

we all have access to same info. Most mockerfocker myself included get more precise about a week or two before draft

@Knight of God

I just think its hilarious you wont see a player mocked, then you see him on one mock, now hes on everybodies mock. Like all the sudden Nick Chubb is everywhere!

Edited by TRUju2111

2 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

I just think its hilarious you wont see a player mocked, then you see him on one mock, now hes on everybodies mock. Like all the sudden Nick Chubb is everywhere!

Chubb has been on both of my mocks. I only do 3 to 4 a year. 

Live been on Chubb train long before visit. I like either him or Royce Freeman for the falcons. I can’t control other posters.

besides you see far more Isaiah Wynn and D. Payne in the mocks. Neither of whom are even linked to falcons

2 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

Nick Chubb is the second coming of Mike Turner, and the coaches in Tampa (where getting a stud running back is a priority) know it.  I wouldn't count on him being there at 42.

I don’t doubt that. I think turner is an apt comparison, as well.

like I said, if we like the fit I’m fine at #26

imknow everyone devalues the position on MBs but nothing wrong expending a first or second rounder on a rb you like 

10 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Chubb has been on both of my mocks. I only do 3 to 4 a year. 

Live been on Chubb train long before visit. I like either him or Royce Freeman for the falcons. I can’t control other posters.

besides you see far more Isaiah Wynn and D. Payne in the mocks. Neither of whom are even linked to falcons

Well most people started the Chubb train after the visit. Too many teams talk to too many players for me to all the sudden think we are drafting a dude because he drove across town to visit the falcons. He would have to fall to the third round for us to seriously consider him IMO

Nick Chubb was a special RB before his knee injury.  He was powerful and explosive.  How is he coming along from that injury?  In years gone by, we could have simply chalked him up as an unfortunate circumstance and assumed that his career was over.

Today, surgeries are more precise and less invasive.  Does anyone have knowledge of N Chubb's physical status?  Can he be expected to return to close to his considerable talent?  

23 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Nick Chubb was a special RB before his knee injury.  He was powerful and explosive.  How is he coming along from that injury?  In years gone by, we could have simply chalked him up as an unfortunate circumstance and assumed that his career was over.

Today, surgeries are more precise and less invasive.  Does anyone have knowledge of N Chubb's physical status?  Can he be expected to return to close to his considerable talent?  

He did very well at the combine. Top across the boards and showed explosion. 

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

It’s hard too lol

@Knight of God

The Mock Draft "game", if you want to call it that, is getting old imo. These things we know for sure

1. With the loss of Poe, Clayborn, Upshaw, and Rubin the Falcons will need to add a least 2 more rotational pieces and a starter on the D-line. Both the Base 3-Tech and Nickel 3-Tech spots, which use different styles of players, are open atm. So obviously the Falcons will address that need early with in the draft.

2. The Falcons used Dontari Poe to gage whether or not a player of his size and caliber would be needed to effectively run Dan Quinn's defense. Poe was listed at 346 pounds by the Chiefs in 2016. By early 2017 he was close to 330. By late July of that year he had dropped under 330 pounds and stayed at that weight throughout the 2017 season. Poe is effective at opening up spaces for guys like Vic Beasley  and Takk McKinley to get sacks in 2017 by eating blocks. So I'd keep an eye out for players closer to 315+ or that have the combine number closer to Poe.

3. The Falcons have looked at a handful of running backs. This of course puts into question a possible move of Tevin Coleman during the draft. But this doesn't rule out the possibility after the Matt Ryan extension to give Coleman a contract of his own. We know both of these theories to be true with the way that Dan Quinn and Thomas dimitroff have talked about Coleman and the possibility of him coming back / the possibility of a move up with Coleman as a trading piece.

4. LB is not considered completely filled. This theory is backed up by the amount of linebackers the Falcons have looked at. Comparing those linebackers to Duke Riley we can see that a lot of the guys are a bit bigger.

5. If they want any of the following DTs from this draft they will have to trade up. Vita Vea, Taven Bryan, D'aron Payne and Mo Hurst ( in some circles) will all be gone by 26. Payne and Hurst to my knowledge have both been passed on by the Falcons staff, But Vea and Bryan are on the top of the list atm in the scouts eyes. 

So with those facts you can pretty much put the same mock draft over and over and over.

3 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

The Mock Draft "game", if you want to call it that, is getting old imo. These things we know for sure

1. With the loss of Poe, Clayborn, Upshaw, and Rubin the Falcons will need to add a least 2 more rotational pieces and a starter on the D-line. Both the Base 3-Tech and Nickel 3-Tech spots, which use different styles of players, are open atm. So obviously the Falcons will address that need early with in the draft.

2. The Falcons used Dontari Poe to gage whether or not a player of his size and caliber would be needed to effectively run Dan Quinn's defense. Poe was listed at 346 pounds by the Chiefs in 2016. By early 2017 he was close to 330. By late July of that year he had dropped under 330 pounds and stayed at that weight throughout the 2017 season. Poe is effective at opening up spaces for guys like Vic Beasley  and Takk McKinley to get sacks in 2017 by eating blocks. So I'd keep an eye out for players closer to 315+ or that have the combine number closer to Poe.

3. The Falcons have looked at a handful of running backs. This of course puts into question a possible move of Tevin Coleman during the draft. But this doesn't rule out the possibility after the Matt Ryan extension to give Coleman a contract of his own. We know both of these theories to be true with the way that Dan Quinn and Thomas dimitroff have talked about Coleman and the possibility of him coming back / the possibility of a move up with Coleman as a trading piece.

4. LB is not considered completely filled. This theory is backed up by the amount of linebackers the Falcons have looked at. Comparing those linebackers to Duke Riley we can see that a lot of the guys are a bit bigger.

5. If they want any of the following DTs from this draft they will have to trade up. Vita Vea, Taven Bryan, D'aron Payne and Mo Hurst ( in some circles) will all be gone by 26. Payne and Hurst to my knowledge have both been passed on by the Falcons staff, But Vea and Bryan are on the top of the list atm in the scouts eyes. 

So with those facts you can pretty much put the same mock draft over and over and over.

No argument. I only do three, maybe four total for that reason. I enjoy the mock game as an pass the time hobby. Kind of like making prospect vids lol which I’m glad that you do, as I use a lot of your data!

I dislike Hurst. Why do you like him? A combine like Poe is difficult to find btw. That was 4.98 forty and 44 bench presses at 350 pounds.

Vea I guess is closest?

Just now, Unintentional Grounding said:

Silly Question, but why can't I add photos to this message board? What am I doing wrong?

Not a silly question. I’m having a hard time lately. I find copying the link and then pasting in body works well. 

Salmon. 

I like it. I think you do a good job at staying fresh. I like the concept of taking lesser known players on a productive unit-  players that were overshadowed by stars, players that can provide value in later rounds. 

You can never have too many d linemen and considering how many we lost we are going to have to get 2-3 new ines via draft and FA.  Vitae  is the closest measureaes to Poe in the draft- (Tim Settle comes in second) unless you go possibly to some smaller school prospects.  

Are we satiated with Hooper at TE or are we looking for his compliment ?

It Duke doesn't work out why not get another LB?  

8 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

It says my attachments are full...... Just love this site lol

yeah, you can upload so many, I don't know what that number is. once you hit that number, you have to change to using an FTP site like imgur or photobucket.

and there's no way to go in and delete any of the ones you've uploaded here, they're there permanently apparently. They really need to hire a competent IT person to oversee the board....