Could we get a 5th for Bosh?

Just looking at Bosher's contract he is set to cost 2.70m, against the cap with a 500k dead cap if cut. Since Oakland cut King because Gruden is a square. King and Bosher are close to the same talent wise but King has hit his stride and led the league with punts hit inside the ten. With Bethel on our team we could get more use out of King than Bosher, even if we down 1 extra punt inside the 5 this year it's worth it for more than just that reason.

With Zero punters available in FA the Raiders are forced to burn a pick or trade. 

Any rookie draft pick is not going to give you what Bosher can right now.

To get the best punter in the draft a 6th round pick will have to be used, and again that pick will not net what Bosher can bring.

Since King was cut he has to sign a new contract, and we could sign him to 5/15(Bosher signed a 5/12.5 in 2014) and his first year cap hit would be right at 1 mil.

Bottom Line: We get another slight upgrade to the ST unit. We get a crucial 5th round pick which makes the urgency of drafting for need in rounds 3 and 4 disappear. We would have a punter that would be a fan favorite. We save 1-1.25m in cap space this year. 

If the rumor of moving up for Vea is true we will need this pick to have a chance for a well rounded draft. Even if we need to give a 7th and Bosher for a 5th we still make out good.

I like Bosher a lot and would hate to see him go but if it helped the team it's a no-brainer. Of course this is all hypothetical and has almost no chance of happening. I've just been brainstorming how to get a 5th round pick without trading a crucial player.

I guarantee you that the raiders have more than one free agent punter they could sign. Heck, it may not have been anybody that was even in the league last year. Why the heck would they give us a draft pick for a punter when they could draft the one they wanted to wait until after the draft and sign an undrafted guy?

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

Ain't no-one trading a draft pick for a friggin punter man.

Well since you didn't read the post let me tell you what it said, so that your statement doesn't sound ignorant

Raiders cut their pro-bowl caliber punter. There are no punters in F.A. The Raiders must spend a draft pick on a punter, or trade for one. No rookie is going to be as good as Bosher is now. 

To say noone is going to spend a pick on a punter is just a dumb statement considering we spent a 6th round pick on Bosher. He WAS worth a 6th, NOW he is worth a 5th. Not to mention I said Bosher AND a 7th.

Not even going to try to explain the cap 

4 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I guarantee you that the raiders have more than one free agent punter they could sign. Heck, it may not have been anybody that was even in the league last year. Why the heck would they give us a draft pick for a punter when they could draft the one they wanted to wait until after the draft and sign an undrafted guy?

Pro Football Focus notes, of the 32 punters to play at least 15 games last season, Brad Wing is the only one not retired and not signed. He earned PFF's worst overall grade for punters in 2017, when he averaged 44.1 yards per punt for the New York Giants.

FA not an option. The Raiders have 2 5th round picks and 4 6th round picks. They are going to spend a 5th or 6th on a rookie. Bosher was considered the best punter when we drafted him with our 6th round pick, and he struggled his first 2 seasons as almost all punters do.

It makes way more sense to spend one of your 2 5th round picks on an accomplished pro-bowl caliber punter ( a sure thing) rather than gamble on a rookie with a 6th round pick. 

Coaches don't take the position as lightly as fans which is why they are paid millions to do what they do. We signed Bethel who is known for downing punts inside the ten. King led the league with punts inside the ten, and Bosher wasn't too far behind. I'm not sure why people act like it's insane. It;s a win win for both teams.

Also Gruden isn't naive enough to think you can just throw any old UDFA punter in there and expect good results. Losing a punter with a 4.9 hangtime that averages just shy of 50 yards per punt isn't something rookies do in this league. Believe it or not but just like every position in the game there are great punters, good punters, average punters, bad punters, and shyt punters. Since the punt unit is responsible for the opponents starting field position, defense minded coaches especially put stock in their punters. 

Bosher and a 7th is way better than an unknown commodity with a 6th round pick. If I were talking about any other position this wouldn't be much of a discussion.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Pro Football Focus notes, of the 32 punters to play at least 15 games last season, Brad Wing is the only one not retired and not signed. He earned PFF's worst overall grade for punters in 2017, when he averaged 44.1 yards per punt for the New York Giants.

FA not an option. The Raiders have 2 5th round picks and 4 6th round picks. They are going to spend a 5th or 6th on a rookie. Bosher was considered the best punter when we drafted him with our 6th round pick, and he struggled his first 2 seasons as almost all punters do.

It makes way more sense to spend one of your 2 5th round picks on an accomplished pro-bowl caliber punter ( a sure thing) rather than gamble on a rookie with a 6th round pick. 

Coaches don't take the position as lightly as fans which is why they are paid millions to do what they do. We signed Bethel who is known for downing punts inside the ten. King led the league with punts inside the ten, and Bosher wasn't too far behind. I'm not sure why people act like it's insane. It;s a win win for both teams.

Bosher and a 7th is way better than an unknown commodity with a 6th round pick. If I were talking about any other position this wouldn't be much of a discussion.

Not gonna happen

If you think it's so crazy that a team that is in dire need of a good punter, and zero options in f.a. for one, would trade a 5th rnd pick for a top 5 punter AND a 7th rnd pick, just remember that the Patriots took a long snapper in the 5th round in 2016, and the Panthers traded a 4th for punter Andy Lee. The Bucs traded up to select a kicker in the 2nd.

Who would spend a 6th on an unknown instead of a 5th on a for sure pro bowl caliber player? Keep in mind that they have two 5th round picks, and 4 6th round picks so they are definitely going to draft a punter unless a Bosher comes along.

8 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Well since you didn't read the post let me tell you what it said, so that your statement doesn't sound ignorant

Raiders cut their pro-bowl caliber punter. There are no punters in F.A. The Raiders must spend a draft pick on a punter, or trade for one. No rookie is going to be as good as Bosher is now. 

To say noone is going to spend a pick on a punter is just a dumb statement considering we spent a 6th round pick on Bosher. He WAS worth a 6th, NOW he is worth a 5th. Not to mention I said Bosher AND a 7th.

Not even going to try to explain the cap 

You started a thread about us trading are starting punter to the Raiders and you're calling me ignorant?

Unfortunately for me and so many other posters in this thread I did waste my time reading your whole post. Please try not to make the same mistake and post something as stupid as the one you just did it again.

Edited by Malachore

3 minutes ago, delaigle said:

Excuse me but Bosher himself was a 5th round draft pick

6th actually.

But I don't think anyone is going to trade a draft pick for a slightly above average punter. It'd be different if he was the best Punter in the league.  He's not close to that though.

Just now, Peyton said:

6th actually.

But I don't think anyone is going to trade a draft pick for a slightly above average punter. It'd be different if he was the best Punter in the league.  He's not close to that though.

yes I caught that old eyes no glasses

I don’t like the idea of getting rid of Bosher..he is a good punter, KOS, and is not afraid to go down the field to make a tackle..the main reason I don’t want to get rid of him though is fgs..money matt, harris, and him have been working together for so long now that the timing for all of it is perfect..I know I probably just jinxed the crap out of them but it is a fact