Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconofShadows

Who would you draft

77 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, falconidae said:

Well, it was a trick question, with all the board favorites already gone.

I bet you are a very nice person IRL. I'm not.

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Personally I like it, but some angry dude named Austin Hooper called and said please die and take your fanboys with you.  :lol:

huh? Austin Hooper  is a balanced tight end and absolutely nothing like Gesicki. Maybe you should watch some tape on both.. Gesicki is a 250 pd WR with a 41.5" vertical which is the tenth highest score in combine history. In addition Gesicki has been trained to get the ball at it's highest point playing volleyball, and basketball in college.He has had the highest scores among "tightends" since Vernon Davis. So he's more athletic than all the athletic freaks at TE that came out last year. He has the potential to literally redefine the position. 

Some guy named Austin Hooper can say something when he and his buddies can catch a football in the endzone. If you think Austin Hooper would be upset at an athletic freak that has a 3" higher vertical than Julio Jones joining the team than maybe you should put your head back in the hole you popped it out of. I'm pretty sure Hooper himself is a fan or at least really friggin' impressed. 

Just who the hail would you draft in this scenario? If it's a DT then you have no clue. Also if you could read you would have read that I mentioned D.J. Moore as well. I've had D.J Moore and Gesicki as 2nd round picks all off-season, until we finally signed Fusco, and both receivers' stocks soared to top 20 picks. Their are also 2 D.T.s who stocks have soared that I would draft in the 2nd and 3rd. I also had Fusco as the F.A. we needed to fill the hole left by Chester last season and this season we finally signed him. If I had to guess you were one of those wearing rose colored glasses on the Wes S fanboy train? One of those that were fine with the F.O. trotting his suckyness back out there in 2018? One of those who cried that we didn't trade for Bennett and his inevitable suspension? Please enlighten me as to who the Poker Steve would draft with all first round graded DTs off the board? Actually I don't see the first defensive need with anything close to a late first round grade on the board, so?

6 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Agreed.  We pick #26 & suddenly after 25 picks, nobody is left.  So weird.

Let's take a look at just a few potential first rounders who weren't selected:

Interior Defensive Line

Harrison Philips

Edge Rushers

Arden Key

Sam Hubbard

Linebackers

Leighton Vander Esch

Rashaan Evans

Echenna Nwosu

Corners

Mike Hughes

Jaire Alexander

Safties

Ronnie Harrison

Jessie Bates III

Justin Reid

These are all guys arguably considered in top 5 at their respective position groups.

Justin Reid is the only one I think is a for sure round one selection, but it's the farthest thing from a position of need. Jaire Alexander would be considered a reach but considering how awful Trufant is in run support I wouldn't complain at all. Actually any defensive selection during the DQ era have been pretty spot on so I wouldn't complain about any of them. I trust the F.O. when it comes to defense.

3 hours ago, caver50 said:

Your right, we have to fill that DT spot.

double dip BJ Hill and PJ Hall. They could both end up being Grady Jarrett type gems.and allow us to pick offense in rnd 1 if noone on their board has a first round grade at DT/DE.

Slappywhite likes this

One thing we should keep in mind is that just because we think we can grab a guy later in rounds 2-7 doesn't necessarily mean they will be there either.

Lets remember there are 32 other hungry teams who want many of day 2 or day 3 guys we like as well.  

I love the draft and cannot wait until draft day!

20 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

If we cannot get some great trade with another team (next years 1st round pick and this years 2nd round pick for our 1st?), we could probably go with a TE or WR - New Orleans is right behind us and has needs at both of these positions.

That's what people don't understand. If Gesicki or Moore is there we take them not only for their ability to contribute but for their ability to draw coverages away from everyone else. Gesicki would give Ryan 4 options at 6'3" or taller. I think we all know Ryan prefers taller targets.If we don't take them then N.O. offense gets into the unstoppable range(30+ppg) and it doesn't matter what DT/DE we take. They are going to take a TE in the first and I would much rather they take Goedert since we have the LBers to cover him. IDK of any lber that can jump with Gesicki.

21 hours ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Christian Kirk or Gesicki. If not, I'd try and trade down with the Giants or Broncos, if they're interested in Jackson. Might even be able to grab Kirk or Gesicki at one of those spots

what about D.J. Moore?

10 hours ago, Peyton said:

I just spent 15 minutes watching video of Mike Gesicki because he is apparently the flavor of the week on the board.  I guess his combo 40 got everyone excited.  He certainly doesn't look that fast on his football tape though.  I'd be shocked if the Falcons spent their first rounder on him with that giant hole at DT.

Not just his 40, but vertical, 20 yd shuttle, and 60 yd shuttle he beat out the most athletic TEs LAST season. 41.5" vertical and the ability to get it at it's highest point as well as anyone in the league. H3e also put up 22 reps, one shy of the best among TE this season, although he was penalized 1 rep for technique(bar hit rack going up).

Taller, heavier, bigger hands, 3" higher vertical and .15 secs faster in the 20 yd shuttle than Julio Jones. He also has better hands and doesn't drop routine passes. He is a WR that weighs 250.

Surpised at the lack of Dallas Goedert mentioned in here. Hes a much better TE than Gesicki imo. 

For me it was between Goedert and Vander Esch

As of right now I'll go with Vander Esch. But its super close. 

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Not just his 40, but vertical, 20 yd shuttle, and 60 yd shuttle he beat out the most athletic TEs LAST season. 41.5" vertical and the ability to get it at it's highest point as well as anyone in the league. H3e also put up 22 reps, one shy of the best among TE this season, although he was penalized 1 rep for technique(bar hit rack going up).

Taller, heavier, bigger hands, 3" higher vertical and .15 secs faster in the 20 yd shuttle than Julio Jones. He also has better hands and doesn't drop routine passes. He is a WR that weighs 250.

Gesicki numbers shocked me. He doesnt look THAT athletic on the field. Great jump ball catcher though. Dallas Goedert is so much better imo. He looks fast and fluid on the field. Also has a basketball background and can make those contested catches. Hes in that Kelce/Gronk mold. 

Carlton Davis

Mike Hughes

Jaire Alexander

DJ Moore

Michael Gallup

James Washington

Derrius Guice

Ronald Jones

Justin Reid

7 hours ago, falconidae said:

It would be the first time ever, so yeah, ain't happening

It’s part of the reason some of those teams are always drafting in the top ten.

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Gesicki numbers shocked me. He doesnt look THAT athletic on the field. Great jump ball catcher though. Dallas Goedert is so much better imo. He looks fast and fluid on the field. Also has a basketball background and can make those contested catches. Hes in that Kelce/Gronk mold. 

I like Goedert as well. Andrews is the one guy I do not want and wont work in this offense. He is a horrible blocker and is not a willing blocker either. Gesicki is a hybrid TE/WR and has a volleyball and basketball background which is why he is so good at catching the ball at it's highest point. He doesn't look as fast on tape because he is a long strider and it looks effortless. Even his 40 sprint at the combine looked slower than timed 

Goedert may have dominated at a lower level of competition but the fact that he refused to run a 40 at his pro day scares me. I've heard of 40 times in the 4.8 range which is considerably slower than Hooper. He has awesome body control and hands but speed is going to be a factor in how well he suceeds in the NFL. Personally I like Hurst over Goedert but all three should be good pros. I just feel Gesicki is such a mismatch for lbers that he will open things up for everyone else, and be a great redzone/3rd down target himself. His drills at the combine blow away those of last years first round picks. it would be hard to choose between him and D.J. Moore imo bc Moore is going to be a stud early on. Man I can't wait for the draft

45 minutes ago, vel said:

Carlton Davis

Mike Hughes

Jaire Alexander

DJ Moore

Michael Gallup

James Washington

Derrius Guice

Ronald Jones

Justin Reid

Guice would be really interesting.

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

One thing we should keep in mind is that just because we think we can grab a guy later in rounds 2-7 doesn't necessarily mean they will be there either.

Lets remember there are 32 other hungry teams who want many of day 2 or day 3 guys we like as well.  

I love the draft and cannot wait until draft day!

Exactly. Picking in the bottom 1/4 of every round means you have to take your guy a round earlier.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

10 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Surpised at the lack of Dallas Goedert mentioned in here. Hes a much better TE than Gesicki imo. 

For me it was between Goedert and Vander Esch

As of right now I'll go with Vander Esch. But its super close. 

Trade down to team needing QB Jackson. 

Would love to see us get Goedert early Rd 2.

11 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Yeah Gesicki just looks like a regular ole guy on the field. Austin Hooper's highlight reel is more impressive by a wide margin lol.

36 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah Gesicki just looks like a regular ole guy on the field. Austin Hooper's highlight reel is more impressive by a wide margin lol.

Sorry, but no.

Conor Williams or Nathan Shepherd :ninja:

I know it might seem a little early for the latter but he has DQ written all over him. Ideally we'd trade down in that spot.

Prolly Jessie Bates or DJ Moore. I guess if you're not confident he'll get to your second pick, you could go with Harrison Phillips. That feels a little rich though. 

But I dont think the draft is gonna look anything like this. 

Also.....one more time....."best player available" isnt a thing. Every team's "best player available" looks different based upon roster construction, scheme, medicals, and interviews. Especially when you get 25 picks into the draft.

Thats how Travis Frederick gets selected in the first round, Dallas gets roasted for taking a "3rd round player" and the kid goes on to be a Top 5 center in the league.