FentayeJones

Nick Chubb Visiting Falcons

174 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah I did. Very similar with slight differences that could be more beneficial. Although shorter he has a similar build with the same speed. Doesn't have the pure power Turner had but has plenty enough to run over today's NFL players. Way better jump cut and better vision. Whoever picks him up will get a beast. Trust me. Watch this.

That one pass against ND was his only catch all season...you know our RBs catch the ball....

33 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Well you said, "great runner between the tackles, perfect fit for the Falcons," I disagreed and you've been sensitive every since.

No I'm not, that's not me at all, you're projecting on me with that one.

:).

I like Chubb, he's from close to my hometown, but I'm not invested in him to be a falcon. Don't want us using a 2nd rounder for him for sure, only if he were there in Rd 3, which is highly unlikely. 

There's other Rbs I like...Balladge, Royce Freeman, even Josh Adams are all interesting to me as well. 

Theyhateme : ) likes this

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

Kid has been flying under everyone’s radar in here. Great runner between the tackles. I think he’d be perfect fit for falcons.

He or Sony will be a panther

10 minutes ago, Califalcon0013 said:

He or Sony will be a panther

Sony being a panther makes a ton of sense. He's projected to be the better NFL back because of his ability to catch the football, so he makes alot of sense for alot of teams in Rd 2....Giants, Seahawks, Lions, panthers.....he makes alot of sense for us too, but 2nd round is too early for us to go there, I think.

Slappywhite likes this

5 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

And Free runs just fine between the tackles...when there’s actually an opening 

until he lowers his head and gets it scrambled, and this year that'll get him ejected as well, although I think it's gonna be kinda pointless to eject someone with a concussion  :ninja:

datboilando and Slappywhite like this

4 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

That one pass against ND was his only catch all season...you know our RBs catch the ball....

He caught it though. We won't be running UGA's limited passing game. We'll be running a Sark/Shanny system. I believe he can catch the angle and flat passes we throw to our RBs. He can also one cut and go on the stretch, run between the tackles, pick up short yardage first downs and pose the serious red zone rushing threat we've been missing.

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

Kid has been flying under everyone’s radar in here. Great runner between the tackles. I think he’d be perfect fit for falcons.

Not just here but around the league I think....Sony is getting all the shine...already seen him on espn...nfl network and various other shows...I think Chubb would be great here. 

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He caught it though. We won't be running UGA's limited passing game. We'll be running a Sark/Shanny system. I believe he can catch the angle and flat passes we throw to our RBs. He can also one cut and go on the stretch, run between the tackles, pick up short yardage first downs and pose the serious red zone rushing threat we've been missing.

he missed that swing pass Nick caught in the SEC championship game. Add in he caught all those 'toss' plays, he's got good hands and he can catch the ball

Being a Cedartown guy, I'd be ecstatic if we somehow got Nick

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

he missed that swing pass Nick caught in the SEC championship game. Add in he caught all those 'toss' plays, he's got good hands and he can catch the ball

He would be a great acquisition. His cousin Bradley would too but he's way out of our reach. 

papachaz likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It's more of an indictment on our OL rather than Chubb, especially seeing how Alabama shut down the running lanes.

24 minutes ago, papachaz said:

You're from Cedartown Papa? I knew there was some reason I liked you......:)

papachaz likes this

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You're from Cedartown Papa? I knew there was some reason I liked you......:)

I've been in polk county since 1969, most of my life now. On the Cedartown side of the county now for several years

FalconFanSince1970 and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

My thoughts exactly.  Freeman's long term viability as a running back are slim with the way he runs.  He is so tough for a player of his stature, but I am afraid his toughness is going to be his downfall.  

Agree. The decline is real. 

papachaz and Boise Falcon Fan like this

40 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He’s a stud waiting to happen imo. People forget buddy probably would have been a 1st rounded if not for that knee injury.  

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

No I'm not, that's not me at all, you're projecting on me with that one.

:).

I like Chubb, he's from close to my hometown, but I'm not invested in him to be a falcon. Don't want us using a 2nd rounder for him for sure, only if he were there in Rd 3, which is highly unlikely. 

There's other Rbs I like...Balladge, Royce Freeman, even Josh Adams are all interesting to me as well. 

Freeman could end up being a steal if healthy

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

What happened to fluidity lol

why rd 3? Aren’t you a proponent of taking the best talent? 

I'm all about fluidity! But I also approach football from an economics-heavy perspective. And RB is a position that, for whatever reason, consistently sees home run results in the 2nd-4th rounds. So when you get in those rounds and you have a corresponding need, they should be on the table. But earlier than the 3rd feels like an overpay for me, unless we're totally planning on trading Coleman. But if you're going to draft a RB in those midrounds and essentially red shirt him for a year? You're making a mistake. Wasting ~25% of his value. 

I'm a proponent of the "best available talent who fits your team culture/scheme and reasonably fills a position of need." 

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Larry, our goal line and short yardage conversion has not been overly good. If you want to look it up, and let’s debate it I’m open to that, I’m lazy today, so please forgive me.

but we all keep looking at Teco and Free with Homer lenses and through the games we saw in a shanny system

between the tackles in clutter  and moving the pile is not frees game. His patience and ability to cut on a dime is his assett. I think we overpaid him, but he’s certainly a nice back 

I dont Disagree. I actually caveated that statement with that very thing. It’s a different NFL. No, they were among the best under shannahan. Last year between injuries and inconsistency of the offense, you can’t make that statement. 

Could they rebound? Possibly, but my personal belief is that DQ wants to add power to this offense and play more smashmouth ball. This visit doesn’t surprise me. I’m sure many other physical backs will or have been scouted.

im far from an UGA homer but Chubb would be a great addition for several reasons:

1) he would be a hometown attraction. That does sell tickets

2) he’s patient and powerful. A more powerful version of freeman

3) I think he’s an underestimated game breaker. His long speed is quite good. He’ll break some long runs

and, bottom line, I’m not sure anyone really believed we’d sign, or be able to sign, Teco long term.

In 2016, we were average (17th) in power situations (defined as: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.)  and a bit below average (23rd) in stuffed ranking. But our adjusted line yards for runs in the middle of the OL was 4th best in the league

In 2017, we were again 17th in power situations and 20th in stuffed ranking. Again, our adjusted line yards for mid/guard runs was 5th. The performance was pretty much the same. 

Leaving aside the fact that the connection between "power backs" and short yardage success is dubious in and of itself, the fact is our "up the middle" stuff has been reasonably effective. Could it be better? Sure. And hopefully Fusco can firm up the right side or one of the younger guys grabs the job and makes it his own. 

I think the offense is growing in to itself and I hope to see further improvement across the board. I'm not anti-RB or anti-Chubb. I'm just not sure that it makes a lot of sense to put a pick into RB UNLESS the Coleman thing happens or the value is very high. 

18 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm all about fluidity! But I also approach football from an economics-heavy perspective. And RB is a position that, for whatever reason, consistently sees home run results in the 2nd-4th rounds. So when you get in those rounds and you have a corresponding need, they should be on the table. But earlier than the 3rd feels like an overpay for me, unless we're totally planning on trading Coleman. But if you're going to draft a RB in those midrounds and essentially red shirt him for a year? You're making a mistake. Wasting ~25% of his value. 

I'm a proponent of the "best available talent who fits your team culture/scheme and reasonably fills a position of need." 

Lol I know just poking at you. RB is changing a bit both economically and in draft value, have you noticed that? I’m not sure if it’s the “zeke “ effect, or what? But by the old model we overpaid for Free as well. Guess times are changing 

you’re far from redshirting a guy if you use him to grind out games, short yardage and on the goal line. Particularly, if you intend to make him a #2 or 1B next year. Plus who’s to say that Teco automatically beats the rookie? Maybe Teco saw more slot time. 

Im not saying that we draft Chubb but I don’t ever see adding competition and talent as a bad investment, if a player is a great fit. 

Actually, if we’re talking out of the box, I’d love to see Teco do a metcalfe and take over the slot job. I think he’d be a heckuva slot WR, who you can slip a few carries here and there still

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

In 2016, we were average (17th) in power situations (defined as: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.)  and a bit below average (23rd) in stuffed ranking. But our adjusted line yards for runs in the middle of the OL was 4th best in the league

In 2017, we were again 17th in power situations and 20th in stuffed ranking. Again, our adjusted line yards for mid/guard runs was 5th. The performance was pretty much the same. 

Leaving aside the fact that the connection between "power backs" and short yardage success is dubious in and of itself, the fact is our "up the middle" stuff has been reasonably effective. Could it be better? Sure. And hopefully Fusco can firm up the right side or one of the younger guys grabs the job and makes it his own. 

I think the offense is growing in to itself and I hope to see further improvement across the board. I'm not anti-RB or anti-Chubb. I'm just not sure that it makes a lot of sense to put a pick into RB UNLESS the Coleman thing happens or the value is very high. 

Thanks for the lookup. Sorry, I just had surgery and am lazier than normal. :)

17th isn’t overly great. We also decreased dramatically in rushing touchdowns, 20 to 12 I believe. Could be growing pains.

im not sure what round he’ll go in. I’ve seen anywhere from second to 4th. I like the way Chubb is patient, and runs through tackles. He’s also got great balance and sneaky explosion.almost a bigger free. 

But I also like guys like Royce Freeman in this draft.

58 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

He’s a stud waiting to happen imo. People forget buddy probably would have been a 1st rounded if not for that knee injury.  

He hasn’t looked like the same back to me after his injury. His explosiveness has dipped IMO. 

Yo_Lover likes this

Just now, Black Francis said:

He hasn’t looked like the same back to me after his injury. His explosiveness has dipped IMO. 

He did the year before last. Last year he looked better imo than his first year. 

Vandy likes this