Corner or WR in the 1st?

Most of the talk has been about us taking a defensive lineman (primarily DT) in the first or possibly an offensive guard like Wynn or James Daniels.  Looking ahead to the future, we could have to part ways with some highly paid starters (ie. Tru, Alford, Sanu) if we want to retain some of our younger defensive talent (ie. Jarrett, Beasley, Debo).  Would you be opposed to drafting a corner or receiver in the first as a potential starter for 2019?

I think the Fusco signing may preclude us from taking a guard in the first and I think there will be some good talents at DT that slip to the 2nd day (Nnadi, Settle, Hurst possibly.)  Your #3 corner is essentially a starter and #3 WR should see the field a lot as well.

I'm one that is all for it.  You trade down or take BPA at 26.  I would even at OT to that mix.

I like Oliver at DB.  I think he has was Quinn wants in a CB.  We are in Nickel 70% or our plays, so he would be an "immdiate contributer."

I also don't buy into that selecting a DB in the first round means we have to get rid of Tru or Alford.  It just means we have one of the best nickel defenses in the NFL, and we are set, even with injuries until 2020.  

WR - if someone drops or we trade back, I'm all for it, again for the same reason.  

I also see WR or CB as potential for making our teams play better... and we all know how bad they sucked.

I am also one of the few that thinks Matthews is going to hit FA next year, despite what people think, 80 million is not going to resign all of our big players next year.  We can't afford a 12-15 million per year LT next year.  A round one OT provides depth to head to the playoffs this season.  And saves us 10 million next year.

Guys need to start warming up to BPA and understand how valuable rookie contracts are now, and in the future.

Rant over 

16 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

I'm one that is all for it.  You trade down or take BPA at 26.  I would even at OT to that mix.

I like Oliver at DB.  I think he has was Quinn wants in a CB.  We are in Nickel 70% or our plays, so he would be an "immdiate contributer."

I also don't buy into that selecting a DB in the first round means we have to get rid of Tru or Alford.  It just means we have one of the best nickel defenses in the NFL, and we are set, even with injuries until 2020.  

WR - if someone drops or we trade back, I'm all for it, again for the same reason.  

I also see WR or CB as potential for making our teams play better... and we all know how bad they sucked.

I am also one of the few that thinks Matthews is going to hit FA next year, despite what people think, 80 million is not going to resign all of our big players next year.  We can't afford a 12-15 million per year LT next year.  A round one OT provides depth to head to the playoffs this season.  And saves us 10 million next year.

Guys need to start warming up to BPA and understand how valuable rookie contracts are now, and in the future.

Rant over 

I’m good with BPA but I’m 99.9 % sure that Matthews is not going anywhere and if we were to draft a tackle in the 1st then it will be to replace RT.  Love Shred but he had a down year and is turning 30.  Several years left for him to play but just saying that I think we are more likely to part ways with him then Matthews IMO.

I think that whatever DT is on the board that the Falcons like most when they pick, that is who they pick.  Be a big mistake to assume the guy they like the best will still be there in the 2nd.

I think the Falcons are very strong at corner, I can't see them taking a corner in the first 3 rounds unless there is a talent they simply can't resist.

I completely agree. The Falcons only have an opening for one starter on the entire team, at NT. We cannot pigeon hole oursleves into players at that one position and end up with someone mediocre when there could be more talented players at other positions which will be needs 2019. Whoever the Falcons pick needs to be a 8-10 year player. We can't get stuck with the next Kentawn Balmer and miss out on the next DeAndre Hopkins or Marcus Peters. 

If Vea, Payne and Bryan are all gone by 26 I'd have no problem taking a corner. Considering we're in nickle 60% of the time 3rd corner is essentially a starter. Ishiah Oliver or Jaire Alexander are two guys who would fit the billing of DQ corners who I think could be in play at 26. 

This WR class is deep so I would rather wait to select  one until at least the 2nd round. Although I wouldnt be against DJ Moore in the 1st. My guy is still Antonio Callaway who could be had alot later. But Id be shocked if we take him. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

5 hours ago, autigerfan said:

Most of the talk has been about us taking a defensive lineman (primarily DT) in the first or possibly an offensive guard like Wynn or James Daniels.  Looking ahead to the future, we could have to part ways with some highly paid starters (ie. Tru, Alford, Sanu) if we want to retain some of our younger defensive talent (ie. Jarrett, Beasley, Debo).  Would you be opposed to drafting a corner or receiver in the first as a potential starter for 2019?

I can't see that far, but I'd have to say no for now...on either of those positions.  He'd go LB, DL or SE....we're gonna have to sign or lose some good defensive players.

21 hours ago, Peyton said:

I think that whatever DT is on the board that the Falcons like most when they pick, that is who they pick.  Be a big mistake to assume the guy they like the best will still be there in the 2nd.

I think the Falcons are very strong at corner, I can't see them taking a corner in the first 3 rounds unless there is a talent they simply can't resist.

concur  especially since Quinn said Kazee is going back to CB

Tru------McFadden

NB  Poole----- Kazee  (or flip)

Alford----Wilson---Bethel

I'd argue that a NT is not the ideal choice for a first-round pick, unless you are running a traditional 3-4. I think we can get that piece in rounds two or three. You can't have first-rounders everywhere, and I'd rather use first round picks for EDGE, QB, OT, WR or CB. 

Given this, I'd say our two next biggest needs that are appropriate for a first-round pick are corner and wide receiver. Either a deep threat to play opposite Ju, so that Mo can run out of the slot, or a tall corner to play outside in nickel (Alford would kick inside). 

Don't forget that all of these guys (Ju, Mo, Alford and Tru) are probably only going to play for another three years. 

All that said, they're gonna take Bryan (and I guess keep Grady at the 1T) or Vea if either is there. 

8 hours ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Rant over 

You have legit points. Anybody who is overlooking that DQ is very serious about drafting Collins' replacement is going to be surprised IMO