It's Time To Bring Back The "Gritz Blitz" Greatest Defense Ever!

NobisFan60

7 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

They were fun to watch. Pity the offense was miserable. I remember a few plays where they literally brought everybody. Of course then offenses figured out you could dump the ball to the back or quick slants. 

That's why it only lasted a year :( We never seem to have a complete team clicking on all cylinders. Either the Offense sucks or the Defense sucks, or in the early days they both sucked. Then we trade away our best players. I was going through my complete sets of Falcon's cards today and every team had some shortcoming, whether it be injury, legal trouble, trades, coaching changes, always something. 

2 hours ago, Mega Flare said:

It was amazing to see, but the best defense ever was the '85 Bears and the '72 Dolphins had an amazing D too.

The Ravens had a great defense the year they won the Superbowl.

You know your defense was great when you win the Superbowl with a garbage QB like Trent Dilfer.

3 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

They were fun to watch. Pity the offense was miserable. I remember a few plays where they literally brought everybody. Of course then offenses figured out you could dump the ball to the back or quick slants. 

I was only a teenager then but I went to the 1st game of the season vs. the Rams when the defense dam near put Joe Namath into retirement right there and then. Scott Hunter actually beat out Bartkowski to start the season and scored on a QB sneak for the winning score.

And I went to the last game of the season vs. the Saints where they set the record for least points allowed in a 14-game season. That was also Bartkowski and the offense's best game of the season. Plus I thought Claude Humphrey nearly killed Archie  Manning on one sack.

1977 and 1998 were the best defenses in Falcons history. That's in a 20 to 21 year cycle. Something tells me by 2018 or 2019 the Falcons defense will be at that level again and that'll be the perfect time for us to finally get a ring.

The Falcons defense caused 48 turnovers in 14 games.  That is freaking astounding.  More than 3 per game.

Then again, the offense turned the ball over 25 times and couldn't even average 2 scores per game. 

That's how you go 7-7 and miss the playoffs.  And 7-7 is the reason not many remember the Gritz Blitz.

We may never see Quinn's D send more than 5 rushers which is a blitz by definition but I doubt we'll ever see 6 or 7 pass rushers in a blitz. It kinda drives me crazy, ya know the deep zone cover in obvious passing downs. But if it works given all the young and now seasoned players on the D I can live with this scheme.

22 minutes ago, Penumbra said:

We may never see Quinn's D send more than 5 rushers which is a blitz by definition but I doubt we'll ever see 6 or 7 pass rushers in a blitz. It kinda drives me crazy, ya know the deep zone cover in obvious passing downs. But if it works given all the young and now seasoned players on the D I can live with this scheme.

Agreed. I at least think Quinn should inject the element of surprise every now and then though. Maybe a few more corner blitzes like he ran in 2016 when Poole pummeled Godgers. An occasional all out blitz would probably catch some QB totally off guard and make him pee his pants.

48 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Falcons defense caused 48 turnovers in 14 games.  That is freaking astounding.  More than 3 per game.

Then again, the offense turned the ball over 25 times and couldn't even average 2 scores per game. 

That's how you go 7-7 and miss the playoffs.  And 7-7 is the reason not many remember the Gritz Blitz.

/thread

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Agreed. I at least think Quinn should inject the element of surprise every now and then though. Maybe a few more corner blitzes like he ran in 2016 when Poole pummeled Godgers. An occasional all out blitz would probably catch some QB totally off guard and make him pee his pants.

42 sacks, 26 Ints that year.

Hopefully this year Quinn takes the groves off this defense so they can create some turnovers. He’s was way too cautious in that regard last year IMO.