Stranger Things: the upside down mock

I plan to have three more mocks before the draft.  The first will be an upside down mock (explained later) the second is the mock that I suggest, and finally, the third is a straight guess to what the Falcons will do. 

This first one is an exercise that I suggest everyone to try.  Go to a draft site and find a draft prospect ranking (I used CBS's).  Then construct a mock backwards, using the prospect ranking as a reality check.  In other words, don't slot a prospect, if he is ranked at a higher value.  

This sort of exercise helps me think realistically and gets my mind out of the box.  

For purposes of this mock, I made things a bit more interesting.  I assumed that I Wynn, T Bryan and D Payne are off the board by the time our #26 rolls around.  So, here it is:

7b (256)   Brandon Parker (OT, NC A&T)

Parker is a big, long-armed and athletic OT.  He has a lot to learn, but we need to develop talent for depth at LT and this guy has the physical abilities to become a good LT.  He is a Practice Squad guy, so it will all come down to how much he wants it.

7a (244)   Ade Aruna (DE, Tulane)

This supremely talented guy is 23, so teams might shy away.  I see a guy that has been through a lot and has made good choices every step of the way.  He has desire and he has athletic talent.  He will likely become a one-trick pony, but he could eventually work himself into the DE rotation and take some stress off of Takk and Beasley.  

6   (200)   Trenton Thompson (DT, UGA)

I was between him and Bilal for this spot.  I settled on Thompson because I think he would be a great rotational DT with the athleticism to actually put pressure on the QB.  Injuries are a problem, but this late in the draft is a good time to go for greatness.  

4   (126)    Quenton Meeks  (FS, Stanford)

The son of a coach that played CB and Safety for the Cardinal.  He is athletic and a student of the game.  We don't have anyone to speak of behind Allen, so here we go.        

3   (90)      Dimitri Flowers (FB, Oklahoma) 

We want to score from the red zone.  We need a FB.  This guy can do it all.  He sounds like a young DiMarco.       

2   (58)      PJ Hall (DT, Sam Houston State)

We have a gaping hole at DT.  PJ Hall had a phenomenal work out.  He is a small school guy that had amazing production.  His technique is sound, he is hungry and he is fast/furious.  His work out attracted attention and I doubt he lasts to our third pick.     

1   (26)      Mike Gesicki (TE, Penn State)

I was between MG and DJ Moore.  I settled on the better pass catcher.  Gesicki is basically a very large WR.  His blocking is garbage, but I believe that this kid has future pro-bowl talent.  We want to score in the red zone.  This guy has huge mitts, long arms and catches everything.      

Go ahead, give it a spin.  Start thinking outside of the box.  Don't be afraid of the Demogorgon.

Sorry man can't say I love this one.

I don't get the PJ Hall love at all athletics measurables be ****ed it doesn't show up on the tape I've watched.For me he looks like a day 3 pick.

Gesecki good player 1st rounder dunno about that one either.

Flowers another guy but I see him as a day 3 guy aswell.

Thompson agreed he has good athleticism but I'm not a fan there's better DTs than him in the draft that could be had higher in my eyes.

10 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Sorry man can't say I love this one.

I don't get the PJ Hall love at all athletics measurables be ****ed it doesn't show up on the tape I've watched.For me he looks like a day 3 pick.

Gesecki good player 1st rounder dunno about that one either.

Flowers another guy but I see him as a day 3 guy aswell.

Thompson agreed he has good athleticism but I'm not a fan there's better DTs than him in the draft that could be had higher in my eyes.

I respect your opinion.  The purpose of this mock is to get others to try upside down mocking.  I think it is a good way of understanding the whole panorama of the draft.  

On 3/30/2018 at 8:13 AM, etherdome said:

I respect your opinion.  The purpose of this mock is to get others to try upside down mocking.  I think it is a good way of understanding the whole panorama of the draft.  

I don’t believe most NFL GM’s do much upside down mocking other than looking at depth of each position.  For one, you better have about 10-15 targets for each round for Day#3 picks.

While some Day#3 picks break thru to be stars, Day#3 picks are generally thought to be role player starters (at best) and ST/backups/PS (generally).

NFL GM’s  don’t formulate a draft strategy “upside down” for a reason.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t believe most NFL GM’s do much upside down mocking other than looking at depth of each position.  For one, you better have about 10-15 targets for each round for Day#3 picks.

While some Day#3 picks break thru to be stars, Day#3 picks are generally thought to be role player starters (at best) and ST/backups/PS (generally).

NFL GM’s  don’t formulate a draft strategy “upside down” for a reason.

That is true.  They have a staff dedicated to flesh out the late round talent.  They have programs that make comparative analysis between present and past prospects.  They have resources that none of us can possibly match.  

This exercise is a suggestion, so that simple fans can learn about and appreciate the lesser known prospects.  

Give it a shot.  You might find a prospect or two that you had not noticed before.  

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

That is true.  They have a staff dedicated to flesh out the late round talent.  They have programs that make comparative analysis between present and past prospects.  They have resources that none of us can possibly match.  

This exercise is a suggestion, so that simple fans can learn about and appreciate the lesser known prospects.  

Give it a shot.  You might find a prospect or two that you had not noticed before.  

I am already studying the small school prospects that dominate and tend to be underdrafted.  I even started a thread about it yesterday

Some Late Day#2 or Day#3 guys as follows:

Nathan Shepard, DT - Ft. Hays State (3rd/4th rd)

PJ Hall, DT - Sam Houston State (3rd/4th rd)

Darius Leonard, ILB/OLB - South Carolina State (2nd/3rd)

Javon Rolland-Jones, OLB - Arkansas State (5th/6th rd)

Daurice Fountain, WR - Northern Iowa (5th/7th rd)

Skyler Phillips, OG - Idaho State (5th/7th rd)

17 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am already studying the small school prospects that dominate and tend to be underdrafted.  I even started a thread about it yesterday

Some Late Day#2 or Day#3 guys as follows:

Nathan Shepard, DT - Ft. Hays State (3rd/4th rd)

PJ Hall, DT - Sam Houston State (3rd/4th rd)

Darius Leonard, ILB/OLB - South Carolina State (2nd/3rd)

Javon Rolland-Jones, OLB - Arkansas State (5th/6th rd)

Daurice Fountain, WR - Northern Iowa (5th/7th rd)

Skyler Phillips, OG - Idaho State (5th/7th rd)

Shepherd is our 3rd round pick at this point. I like his movement, size, power. Senior Bowl, Pro Day and private workout are all touch points for Falcons. It’s him or BJ Hill in the 3rd round.

Start looking at 6th-7th round DTs. I think Falcons slot another one in there as well.

Right now, seems like we have 3 DTs on roster? Jarrett, Crawford, Garland? Shelby rotating inside some?

I think we’ve gotta go with some size and run game support plus a later round guy for depth?

We carried Poe, Jarrett, Rubin, Upshaw last year....

So I still think we may have a wildcard up our sleeve in the first round if there are DTs we like in the 2nd - 4th round range?

Plus, it’s nit like Upshaw or Rubin have signed anywhere? Post June 1 we can easily bring one or both back, plus we get Crawford back from injury and I really think Garland moves to DT? They haven’t mentioned him at all in talking about the RG competition?