One guy's thoughts on this Matt Ryan contract.

mqg96

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

The Mack signing was probably the best free agent pickup in Franchise history. It was the other part of what he said that made me question his sanity ... or education level ..

Mack was a good signing for sure but Michael Turner for me was the best in recent times FA wise in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea...but TD isn’t a moron. Neither is Blank

One would think. My guess is more so that the people who work for them aren't. The fact that they aren't even pretending to show interest in potentially drafting Jackson is heartbreaking. That alone would drum up enough rumors to force unlikely trades at the bottom of the round that would potentially benefit us. So although not complete morons Blank & Co. are rather vanilla if you ask me ..

12 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

One would think. My guess is more so that the people who work for them aren't. The fact that they aren't even pretending to show interest in potentially drafting Jackson is heartbreaking. That alone would drum up enough rumors to force unlikely trades at the bottom of the round that would potentially benefit us. So although not complete morons Blank & Co. are rather vanilla if you ask me ..

So assume that you’re suggestion of them being “vanilla” is right...the “vanilla” thing to do would be to extend Ryan. The “gutsy” move would be trade him or let him play out his contract 

44 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

This post is so bad. 

First off Ryan knows how valueable he is to us. He leaves and our Superbowl hopes are gone. Pretending to be interested in a QB isnt doing anything for us when it comes to negotiating with Ryan. 

Second, we dont make any big draft trades? You forget about Julio? We also traded up for both Takk and Trufant. 

We signed Alex Mack whos a pretty big acquisition. How many good teams are constantly signing big name FAs?  

Hmmm ... upon further review ... maybe it's good Matt didn't sign a new contract and thereby freeing up money for the Falcons to use in Free Agency.

Outside of Turner, Mack, and Sanu, I can't think of any other FA signees who weren't mediocre or busts for us since TD came in. Maybe I'm forgetting someone.

2 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Yep. Listening to Dukes and Bell right now, it's hilarious everyday they have this "Matt Ryan contract watch day (17)!!!!" No word on it yet. They've been complaining for days (or weeks at this point) about how this contract hasn't been done yet while other teams have the free cap space to make the moves now.

It's called playing radio, has nothing to do with any actual reality.

1 hour ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I take it grooming a young QB under Matt is just out of the question .. Matt's cap hit isn't what worries me it's the philosophy of this franchise and it's yearly contradictory-ish actions which only began to change when a new HC & backup GM were brought on board. Well isn't that a head scratcher? The GM needs a competitive backup but the QB doesn't? The offensive coordinator needs a competitive backup but the QB doesn't? Our star wide out needs a competitive backup but our QB doesn't? Wow, that's really saying something ..

You weren't talking about grooming  a young QB, you were talking about bringing in competition for Ryan.

Brady doesn't have a competitive back up, Brees doesn't have a competitive back up, Rivers, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson,Stafford, Newton- established vet QBs don't have competitive back ups, teams can't afford them.

Willing to bet you can't name the backups to the guys I just mentioned without googling it. 

And , spending a 2nd round pick on Jackson or any other QB this year is just a stupid pick. He will never play while Ryan is here.

Other teams know that. It's not a QB controversy, it's a waste of resources. Grab a solid to great DT who'll anchor the defense for 10 years, so much more valuable.

11 hours ago, middlegatv said:

Hmmm ... upon further review ... maybe it's good Matt didn't sign a new contract and thereby freeing up money for the Falcons to use in Free Agency.

Outside of Turner, Mack, and Sanu, I can't think of any other FA signees who weren't mediocre or busts for us since TD came in. Maybe I'm forgetting someone.

You’re forgetting Matt Bryant.

15 hours ago, middlegatv said:

Bwahahaha.

He's has experience and connections to get information on what is going on behind the scenes that none of us could even dream of ever having.

I get your angle, but even in the article, it reads like conjecture. He's just saying what it typically means in his experience. That doesn't mean that's the case here and its utterly pointless to argue that. 

20 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You’re forgetting Matt Bryant.

Well, yes and no. Yes, he turned out to be a great signing, but, no, he wasn't someone whom they focused on signing when 2009 FA started. He was just the best kicker on the streets they could find to bring in to replace a struggling Jason Elam in the middle of the 2009 season.

After all, it wasn't "Yes!! We signed Matt Bryant!" but "Thank God we finally got rid of Jason Elam".

We just got lucky that he turned out to be great.

1 minute ago, middlegatv said:

Well, yes and no. Yes, he turned out to be a great signing, but, no, he wasn't someone whom they focused on signing when 2009 FA started. He was just the best kicker on the streets they could find to bring in to replace a struggling Jason Elam in the middle of the 2009 season.

After all, it wasn't "Yes!! We signed Matt Bryant!" but "Thank God we finally got rid of Jason Elam".

Luck plays into all signings and draft picks. 

Bryant was definetely one of falcons best and most important signings. I would put his up there with sanu.

3 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Good ole Shankapotamus.