So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/30/2018 at 8:05 AM, falconidae said:

Not making it up so much as wildly misinterpreting what's been said.

It is just fine.

Here's Blank and TD on the 2013 extension:

From May 2013:

Blank:

Blank added that both he and Ryan are in a “good place,” but wouldn’t put a timetable on the talks, other than he’s aiming for it to be wrapped up in the “not too distant future,” and before training camp.

While this is no groundbreaking development, it’s notable because the club chose to temporarily shelve negotiations last month in preparation for the draft.

TD

Dimitroff also has said that Ryan "isn't worried about it right now because he knows there is something around the corner, as we do. I am hoping that we can agree to something going into the season."

That was 2 months before he signed his extension in July 2013.  Compare those statements to these from Blank and TD about the current extension.

"I'm not concerned.[ about getting the deal done]"

"There's no time frame"

"It  [the extension] will be on our radar sometime in the near future"

"The initial talks were positive, of course"

"It’s not something that I’d look for in the coming weeks [in Jan], but it is something that we’ll work on...I’m not going to give you a prediction."

They're saying exactly what they said the last time they extended Ryan. No reason to assume this one will turn out any differently.

http://helmet2helmet.com/2013/05/21/falcons-owner-wants-matt-ryan-extension-done-asap/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9174597/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-not-too-worried-new-deal

Oh dear more facts lol.

22 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Exactly, and the trolls back then had same drama. Its a repeat on TATF. I would be worried if they don't get the deal done by Training camp.

I don't understand why some bother.

Adding more anxiety to daily life.

I'd say there about 90% done anyways just sweating wording and detail.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, SyCo said:

I don't give a single crap what matt, his agent,  or anyone here thinks matt has earned.  I've put up with countless chokes, the infamous slide, jokes about him literally ****ting his pants. 

As great as he's been,  he isn't the bees knees.  He needs to get his agent on the phone and tell him to sign whatever the flying heck the falcons are offering so we can move on. 

The nerve,  the **** nerve 

hoping this is a joke

If Condon is trying to get the Falcons to go a true 30 mil a year for Matt, I can see the Falcons taking the rather drastic strategy of letting him play out his season, then tagging him possibly twice, then letting him test the market at 36. That would cost the Falcons probably 19.25, 27, 33 mil.....an average of 26 mil per season.  Meanwhile the Falcons could invest a 3rd rounder this year or next year in someone they like and start developing him.

I'm not sure that it would be the craziest thing.  Teams have to move on at the time that makes the most sense, and I think I could see at the end of 3 more years being about the time that makes the most sense.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

If Condon is trying to get the Falcons to go a true 30 mil a year for Matt, I can see the Falcons taking the rather drastic strategy of letting him play out his season, then tagging him possibly twice, then letting him test the market at 36. That would cost the Falcons probably 19.25, 27, 33 mil.....an average of 26 mil per season.  Meanwhile the Falcons could invest a 3rd rounder this year or next year in someone they like and start developing him.

I'm not sure that it would be the craziest thing.  Teams have to move on at the time that makes the most sense, and I think I could see at the end of 3 more years being about the time that makes the most sense.

Eh, I would say that is pretty unlikely.  This front office just doesn't use the franchise tag all that often, and iirc only one team (Texans) has used the tag fewer than the Falcons.  They have used it twice since it's inception.  Koenen and Grimes.  So while they could of course go that route, history tells us they probably won't and they will work out a deal.

Another con is players don't like playing under the tag, so it would be a good way to piss off Matt Ryan potentially who if history and comps to the Brady/Brees of the world still has several years of highly productive play left in him.  Which, you can say "oh well get over it" but he is also potentially the best Falcon of all time and it would be a huge bridge burned if the front office forced him out.

22 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Exactly, and the trolls back then had same drama. Its a repeat on TATF. I would be worried if they don't get the deal done by Training camp.

The trolls have nothing relevant to say at all.  They are simply dismissed as trolls who have no clue & whose only mission in life is to agitate.  They have hot air & blather & no credibility whatsoever.  LOL!  Trolls...you're dismissed!  Easy button.

6 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

The trolls have nothing relevant to say at all.  They are simply dismissed as trolls who have no clue & whose only mission in life is to agitate.  They have hot air & blather & no credibility whatsoever.  LOL!  Trolls...you're dismissed!  Easy button.

If only it were that easy...

1 minute ago, athell said:

Eh, I would say that is pretty unlikely.  This front office just doesn't use the franchise tag all that often, and iirc only one team (Texans) has used the tag fewer than the Falcons.  They have used it twice since it's inception.  Koenen and Grimes.  So while they could of course go that route, history tells us they probably won't and they will work out a deal.

Another con is players don't like playing under the tag, so it would be a good way to piss off Matt Ryan potentially who if history and comps to the Brady/Brees of the world still has several years of highly productive play left in him.  Which, you can say "oh well get over it" but he is also potentially the best Falcon of all time and it would be a huge bridge burned if the front office forced him out.

Matt Ryan is easily the greatest Falcon of all time, but Arthur Blank is a business man and he knows there is going to come a time of diminishing returns.  If Matt / Condon wants a contract that truly guarantees $30 mil in actual cash per year, then Arthur Blank would be an idiot to bite on that right now, with him scheduled to earn 19.25 mil this year.  And Blank's not an idiot.

Matt is an awkward age here....he is several years older than the guys getting the big deals but he is several years younger than the guys giving home team discounts.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sometimes I wonder if Tom Condon is on the phone telling Aaron Rodgers "Don't worry, Aaron, we'll wait and see what Matt gets first".

Then he flips to his other line and tells Matt Ryan " Don't worry, Matt, we'll wait and see what Aaron gets first".

JK

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan is easily the greatest Falcon of all time, but Arthur Blank is a business man and he knows there is going to come a time of diminishing returns.  If Matt / Condon wants a contract that truly guarantees $30 mil in actual cash per year, then Arthur Blank would be an idiot to bite on that right now, with him scheduled to earn 19.25 mil this year.  And Blank's not an idiot.  They could call his bluff, let him walk, and we end up with the Bradford's and Keenum's of the world.  /shudder

Matt is an awkward age here....he is several years older than the guys getting the big deals but he is several years younger than the guys giving home team discounts.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeah, but this is not a vacuum and there are many many moving parts.  Blank is not an idiot, you are right, so he is probably not in the business of pissing off the greatest player this franchise has seen like you said.  The leverage really is all on Matt's side, Matt knows it, Matt's agent knows it, Blank knows it.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I still feel like he will end up at that $30m a year I'm just curious to see how much is guaranteed after Kirk's contract.

I think right now his age should not be a factor.  His next contract is when the hard decisions will need to be made imo.

To your original point though, I just don't see them using the tag on him.  Possible no doubt, but I just can't see it.

Edited by athell

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan is easily the greatest Falcon of all time, but Arthur Blank is a business man and he knows there is going to come a time of diminishing returns.  If Matt / Condon wants a contract that truly guarantees $30 mil in actual cash per year, then Arthur Blank would be an idiot to bite on that right now, with him scheduled to earn 19.25 mil this year.  And Blank's not an idiot.

Easy. You're speculating on possible conflict between Matt and the Falcons. They'll start calling you a troll.

2 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Easy. You're speculating on possible conflict between Matt and the Falcons. They'll start calling you a troll.

Not really, he has built in logic in his responses which the trolls cannot seem to possess.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, but this is not a vacuum and there are many many moving parts.  Blank is not an idiot, you are right, so he is probably not in the business of pissing off the greatest player this franchise has seen like you said.  The leverage really is all on Matt's side, Matt knows it, Matt's agent knows it, Blank knows it.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I still feel like he will end up at that $30m a year I'm just curious to see how much is guaranteed after Kirk's contract.

I think right now his age should not be a factor.  His next contract is when the hard decisions will need to be made imo.

To your original point though, I just don't see them using the tag on him.  Possible no doubt, but I just can't see it.

The Niners jetted Joe Montana out of town and the Colts did the same with Peyton Manning.  Matt Ryan isn't either one of those guys.

I actually think the Cousins contract is part of the problem here.  Condon is probably trying to negotiate a contract for $87 to $90 million dollars guaranteed over the first three years to slightly beat out the Cousins contract, but it makes no sense for the Falcons to do that with him under contract this year for 19.25 mil.  So if that is the impasse then this deal might not get done until next off season. 

7 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Niners jetted Joe Montana out of town and the Colts did the same with Peyton Manning.  Matt Ryan isn't either one of those guys.

I actually think the Cousins contract is part of the problem here.  Condon is probably trying to negotiate a contract for $87 to $90 million dollars guaranteed over the first three years to slightly beat out the Cousins contract, but it makes no sense for the Falcons to do that with him under contract this year for 19.25 mil.  So if that is the impasse then this deal might not get done until next off season. 

Yeah, and I understand it can happen but when Montana left they had Young.  Who do we have?  Colts moved on from Peyton because Luck was there.  There was also a huge backlash from Colt fans when that happened.  Timing is everything in this business as you eluded to earlier.

I agree with your assessment that it may not get done until next offseason, especially the way things are dragging out.  Curios to see where they are when TC rolls around.

Edited by athell

Dude. Some of ya'll need to get it together. Matt Ryan is not taking a home town discount for one. That's just stupid. He's going to get $30million. It will set the Falcons back. 

And there's nothing anyone can do about it. They should have tried to move him around 2014-2015. But now that Shanny made him an "MVP" and took our offense to a Super Bowl, that's more ammo to his above average case. So stop with the calculations and when will it get done posts, please. It's just so stupid. 

Just now, Byrdman242424 said:

Dude. Some of ya'll need to get it together. Matt Ryan is not taking a home town discount for one. That's just stupid. He's going to get $30million. It will set the Falcons back. 

And there's nothing anyone can do about it. They should have tried to move him around 2014-2015. But now that Shanny made him an "MVP" and took our offense to a Super Bowl, that's more ammo to his above average case. So stop with the calculations and when will it get done posts, please. It's just so stupid. 

Taking $30m per = / = setting the Falcons back.  That narrative needs to die.

3 hours ago, tactician said:

I'm not sure why everyone is in such a rush to make Matt the highest paid player in history. That is not in our best interests. He is under contract this year and we can tag him next year if necessary. 

He'll be the highest paid in  history for a couple of weeks, then Rodgers will sign his new deal. In 4 years, Ryan's deal will look reasonable. It'll be the same exact process as Ryan's last deal. He was the highest paid player for about a month, now he's the 14 highest paid QB.

And, to answer your question, they think, correctly, that signing Ryan long term gives them the best chance of winning a super bowl in the next 3 years. signing him now will save money as opposed to a couple of years down the road, he'l have smaller cap hits than if you franchised him,  and signing him now allows them to get a more team friendly contract in place.

Ryan was 15% of the cap when the team went to the super bowl, when he signs his new deal, he'll be about 15% of the cap again, less than that in the first 3 years. Since Ryan signed his last deal, his cap hit, as a percentage of the cap, has been 7.8%, 13.2%, 13.6% ,15.2%, 14.2%  Really good bet that the %s will be about the same.

Ryan's last extension was touted as a 20 mil a year contract, cap hit didn't hit 20 mil until year 4, should be about the same this time.

Edit: all numbers from over the cap, great resource for cap info:

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-ryan/823

And for those of you complaining about Ryan not taking a discount like Brady and Brees, here's the contracts they signed when they were 33:

Tom Brady  at age 33:

Quarterback Tom Brady signed a four-year extension with the New England Patriots that will make him the NFL's highest-paid player, a source close to the negotiations confirmed Thursday night.
http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5552561

Drew Brees at age 33

Drew Brees becomes highest paid player in NFL history after scoring $100M contract

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173264/Drew-Brees-highest-paid-player-NFL-history-scoring-100M-contract.html#ixzz5Ba6tkhqF

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

And for those of you complaining about Ryan not taking a discount like Brady and Brees, here's the contracts they signed when they were 33:

Tom Brady  at age 33:

Quarterback Tom Brady signed a four-year extension with the New England Patriots that will make him the NFL's highest-paid player, a source close to the negotiations confirmed Thursday night.

Drew Brees at age 33

Drew Brees becomes highest paid player in NFL history after scoring $100M contract

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173264/Drew-Brees-highest-paid-player-NFL-history-scoring-100M-contract.html#ixzz5Ba6tkhqF

Stop it you not allowed to post facts that debunk the cheapskate Ryan crowd your just not allowed to do that.

It makes what they've said for the last 9 pages irrelevant and straight out stupid and wrong stop it please.

purple lol.

7 hours ago, falconidae said:

Tom Brady  at age 33:

Drew Brees at age 33

Ok....but Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time. 

Drew Brees has led the league in passing 6 times, led the league in passing TDs 5 times, led the league in completion percentage 4 times, has 11 Pro Bowls, he's the two-time NFL Offensive player of the year, won Comeback Player of the Year, won NFC Player of the Week 22 times, and sometime early next year he will become the NFL's all time leading passer.

Just because those two players were once given the largest contracts in NFL history doesn't mean that Matt Ryan deserves to be given the largest contract in history. He's great but he's not as good as them.

22 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Ok....but Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time. 

Drew Brees has led the league in passing 6 times, led the league in passing TDs 5 times, led the league in completion percentage 4 times, has 11 Pro Bowls, he's the two-time NFL Offensive player of the year, won Comeback Player of the Year, won NFC Player of the Week 22 times, and sometime early next year he will become the NFL's all time leading passer.

Just because those two players were once given the largest contracts in NFL history doesn't mean that Matt Ryan deserves to be given the largest contract in history. He's great but he's not as good as them.

Not the point, they did the same thing when they were 33 that Ryan is doing now, they didn't start taking discounts until they were in their late 30s.

And Ryan has better numbers than either one of them at the same point in their careers, he's on pace for 60,000 yards and 400 TDs himself, first ballot HOF numbers, he's a really ### good QB in his own right.

And yes, Ryan does deserve it, he's one of the best QBs  playing today and it's just the way the game is played. Hate the game not the player, be great for him to take a discount, that's just not realistic. What is realistic is having a cap friendly contract. What I'd love to see is a 10-15 mil roster bonus for the 5th year, keeps the earlier cap hits down, in 4 years, you either restructure or cut him.

Ryan's contract is not going to cripple the team.  Look at his last contract, it was 20 mil a year, cap hit wasn't 20 mil until 4th year, first year cap hit was 9.6 mil, it made him the highest paid for about 30 minutes, he's now the 14th highest paid player. This contract will be the same way.

Numbers are larger because the cap is larger. 20 mil of the 2012 cap was 16.6% of the cap. 30 mil of the 2018 cap is 16.9%. [Ryan's cap hit was never 16.6%] that .3% is not going to cripple the team.