So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

Just now, falconidae said:

Yeah, done talking about this cause you just got gobsmacked with the truth. Falcons are doing this deal the same exact way they did Ryan's last deal, down to the comments they've made.

Whatever makes you feel more secure about the Falcons.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t believe he gave a $5M discount.

By and large, salaries aren’t calculated based so much on past performance, but much more so on expected future performance. It’s why 49ers gave Garoppolo a bigger contract than most folks felt he was worth, because he hasn’t accomplished much, but 49ers saw enough to think he will in the future, thus he got paid based on those future expectations. 

The fact Brees is nearly 40 factors into the equation as well. Same for Brady. Meanwhile Ryan is still in his prime years for a QB, so he’s gonna get paid more at 33 than he would if he were 39.

simple economics to me. One could argue Brees contract at $25m is a riskier deal to saints than Ryan at $30M is to falcons. The inverse is true as well...Ryan leaving falcons now in his prime would be much more economically (and in many other ways) devastating to Atlanta than if Brees left N.O. In the twilight of his career. 

Because he didnt take a discount. If he was taking a discount, his cash payment wouldnt be front loaded on a two year deal. It'd be back loaded to push further cap hits into the future. 

Instead, he took $27m cash for 2018. If he sees fit, he can come back to play for $23m cash next year. That's a "discount" but its a discount in the way that Matt's deal was is a "discount" this year. 

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

1) Contracts arent handed out for "accomplishment" they're handed out for future performance. At no point has his compensation not been communserate with his production. As soon as he played well, he started getting top of the market money. 

2) He isnt statistically better than either Brady or Rodgers. He has a higher volume of statistics. Those two things arent the same. Unless you think Jon Kitna is "statistically better" than Rodgers because he has more career passing yards

3) If we're now qualifying not taking literal top dollar as a "discount" then we need to give Matt Ryan credit for taking a discount in 2013. He clearly could have made more money on the open market than he made here. But he chose to stay at home with a market rate QB contract.  Same thing for Aaron Rodgers. He most certainly could have received more on the open market. Heck, he can let his contract run out and go to the Brown for HUGE money. But he wont. He'll be the highest paid QB in football. But he will not have maximized his earning potential. Does that mean he's taking a discount? Obviously not. 

1 & 2)  Drew Brees stats in 2016/2017 seasons are better than both Brady and Rodgers - so right out of the gate, Strike ONE,  Strike TWO

3) As to this point, the Saints were in no position to "franchise" Drew Brees due to their cap situation.  In 2013/Matt and Rodgers - both teams could easily control the player so neither had the opportunity to test free agency.    Drew Brees was a LIVE free agent when the new league year began.   Strike THREE.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:45 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

They will wait until the post June 1 cap help from releases, see how the draft plays out based on positions and by the time the season rolls around we could see Garland and Schaub as cuts, which would gives us an extra $9 million (with Tioilolo $) to help front load MR2 contract. You might not think it, but reducing his cap hit by $2 mil/yr in later years with built in roster bonuses as the major driver of the high dollar amount will be huge in 3 years. Plus, who’s to say by that time we haven’t extend Jake Matthews creating more cap space?

I think they wanted to extend him and make his number lower to accommodate the Bennett trade. After that didn’t happen, it makes more since to wait and front load as much as possible this year and next year to accomadare other players future salaries and still give Matt the $$ he deserves.

Lookat Matt Ryan’s 2017 playoff numbers. He’s the main reason we even got to the SB. He’s gonna get paid and deservedly.

^^^^^^^^^^^

All these people trying to make some drama where there isn't any

37 minutes ago, tactician said:

Ravens are the classic example of hanging on to an average QB too long. Teams are so afraid to draft competition for their starting QB, the much dreaded "Quarterback controversy". My god, will these organizations please grow a pair. 

yeah for the first 5 years Flacco was in NFL, the Ravens had a good-to-great type of defense.  Each year the defense got worse and the offense didn't get better - Flacco had one really good year in the NFL - it is hilarious that we were 8 years into the "Whose better Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco?" debate before it was obvious to all that Matt was much, much better.

If I was Ravens, I would start maneuvering now for a QB.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yours is the ONLY legit explanation that can be argued - the age argument.  However, that is offset with Brees deal being only a 2 year deal - you could also make the argument that giving Matt a 6 yr deal is riskier than Drew's two year deal - given the guarantees and a greater risk that Matt could fall off by years 4,5 and 6 than Brees would fall off in yrs 1 or 2.  

That’s a good point. Brady/Brees success deep into their late 30’s are not the norm for nfl players, including QBs. Statistically, the odds are high that matt will start to fall off in 3 years or so and fall off a cliff before anyone sees it coming ..

See manning at 39, Marino at 38, young at 37, Fouts at 35, Aikman at 34 (yikes)....

see joe Flacco at 31.....:)

13 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Ryan will sign a 150 mil 5 year extension before the year starts, watch.

I also think it will come in around $30 million/year give or take a million or so.

If there is a sticking point, it could be number of years or amount guaranteed.

I just think the Falcons would have been better served saying after the 2017 season ended "obviously Matt's new contract is a priority AND in due time we're confident in getting it done" instead of using phrases such as "#1 focus" and reported as saying it was a "top priority". Whether you agree or not, some fans and some of the media were given the impression that the Falcons were counting on MR's new contract to free up money for free agency and other moves. Maybe that's the Falcons fault. Maybe it's not.

13 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

I also think it will come in around $30 million/year give or take a million or so.

I just think the Falcons would have been better served saying after the 2017 season ended "obviously Matt's new contract is a priority AND in due time we're confident in getting it done" instead of using phrases such as "#1 focus" and reported as saying it was a "top priority". Whether you agree or not, some fans and some of the media were given the impression that the Falcons were counting on MR's new contract to free up money for free agency and other moves. Maybe that's the Falcons fault. Maybe it's not.

So your worried about how the FO worded how there going about this.

See to me there are no definites in this sport because the environment changes so quickly so what you say one day can differ in a week or month something may have changed since they first said this.

I also think some fans read too much into this sought of stuff and anxiety sets in for some reason and hence why we get alot of posts like the above.

11 hours ago, middlegatv said:

One, they never said "Top Priority", the people reporting  on it used that phrase. Really not the falcons fault that people read the headlines and didn't read what was actually said.

Two, go back a few posts, you can see them saying the exact same thing in 2013 about Ryan's first extension.

Three, Falcons said exactly that  in Jan- that Ryan was a priority and there was no timeline:

19 hours ago, falconidae said:

From Rich McKay on January 25th:

Falcons President & CEO Rich McKay said this morning on PFT Live that

“It’s not something that I’d look for in the coming weeks, but it is something that we’ll work on,” McKay said. “It will be a priority. We’ve already begun the discussion. Now, the question, when will that happen? These deals tend to have their own pace to them based on the sense of urgency on both sides, so I’m not going to give you a prediction.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/rich-mckay-contract-matt-ryan-132106210.html

44 minutes ago, falconidae said:

One, they never said "Top Priority", the people reporting  on it used that phrase. Really not the falcons fault that people read the headlines and didn't read what was actually said.

Two, go back a few posts, you can see them saying the exact same thing in 2013 about Ryan's first extension.

Three, Falcons said exactly that  in Jan- that Ryan was a priority and there was no timeline:

Whatever words they used, Vaughan McClure equated to "top priority". 

And TD says "#1 focus" at the after-season press conference and if you can't equate "#1 focus" to "top priority" then you're being dense.

Now let it go. You WILL NOT convince me otherwise. So deal with it.

And PLEASE stop quoting Rich McKay. That's guy is an idiot who was basically "fired" as GM and made into a "do-boy" for Arthur.

Edited by middlegatv

27 minutes ago, Mega Flare said:

If they draft a QB before resigning Matt, I'm going to enjoy these boards.

popcorn_gus.gif

TD has not drafted a significant QB since 2008 - kind of surprising, really - even teams w/ better QBs tend to draft a decent QB every 3-4 years in rounds 3 or 4.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

TD has not drafted a significant QB since 2008 - kind of surprising, really - even teams w/ better QBs tend to draft a decent QB every 3-4 years in rounds 3 or 4.

True, but my main concern was timing.  In other news, the QB arms race in the AFC East will be fun to watch.

20 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Whatever words they used, Vaughan McClure equated to "top priority". 

And TD says "#1 focus" at the after-season press conference and if you can't equate "#1 focus" to "top priority" then you're being dense.

Now let it go. You WILL NOT convince me otherwise. So deal with it.

And PLEASE stop quoting Rich McKay. That's guy is an idiot who was basically "fired" as GM and made into a "do-boy" for Arthur.

LMAO, So, your mind is made up, stop confusing you with facts?

You say, I wish the Falcons had said Ryan was a priority but their was no timeline for signing, I show you the president of the Falcons saying exactly that, but it doesn't matter because you don't think much of McKay?

Again, read the actual words than TD and Blank said- they never said that the Ryan extension was first thing to do in the offseason and never put a time frame on the signing. You got the impression it was different situation from the media, but that's not TD's or Blank's fault.

Naah, being dense is refusing to even acknowledge there are other ways to interpret priority than you have. Or refusing to even consider anything that might prove you wrong.

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

LMAO, So, your mind is made up, stop confusing you with facts?

You say, I wish the Falcons had said Ryan was a priority but their was no timeline for signing, I show you the president of the Falcons saying exactly that, but it doesn't matter because you don't think much of McKay?

Again, read the actual words than TD and Blank said- they never said that the Ryan extension was first thing to do in the offseason and never put a time frame on the signing. You got the impression it was different situation from the media, but that's not TD's or Blank's fault.

Naah, being dense is refusing to even acknowledge there are other ways to interpret priority than you have. Or refusing to even consider anything that might prove you wrong.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

3 hours ago, tactician said:

Let him play out this year then tag him next year. By then he will be 36, and probably on the decline, and our young defenders will need to get paid. 

Pro tip: If you're going to post something stupid, at least have a handle on elementary school level math before doing so. ;)

My only speculation is that Ryan’s agent is holding him out til the foot drops on Aaron Rodgers contract maybe to see how far he can drive his own MVP’s price up.

I think that wld be annoying enough to Falcon’s brass if that’s what happening to cause some form of dissension in the ranks on their part regarding the status of these contract negotiations. 

Ryan’s agent probably got Blank and co. pizzed right now.