So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Right....those numbers say Brees made more money than Ryan. So.....? 

I really don't know what your point is. Brees has been well compensated. He's never given the Saints a discount. IF he gives the Saints a discount, it won't be until 2019....his age 40 season. And even then, he's still looking at $23m in cash. 

Brees contract was a big reason saints were in cap **** for like 5 straight years.. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

You are being naive.   Falcons planned to sign Matt Ryan by now.  No one is trying to stir up controversy but clearly Matt and his agent see things differently from Blank and TD - if not, it would be done as those expectations were set by the team.   Besides, it’s not controversial, it’s just business and negotiating.   Frankly I am glad it is not easy as I have thought in the past re-signing players was too easy - if it’s easy, you are probably overpaying many times and/or not using all your leverage.

Leverage - let’s talk about it. While Matt has been incredibly blessed and healthy in his 10yrs in the ATL, it only takes one hit to change a career.   Matt is due to make $21mm this year but he could sign an extension with guarantees north of $90mm - it’s a big risk.   On the flip side, Matt could have another MVP season, play out the contract, force Falcons to either Franchise him or ay even bigger contract- or Matt’s play could fall off as well.  Literally anything could happen should Matt play out contract with no extension.

It is perfectly fine for it all to go down this way.  I hope the Falcons  get something for the wait.   It is a zero sum gain in a salary cap league.

What is the bold based on? Other than conjecture. 

Again....the vast majority of Falcons extensions happen during the summer. The last time we were in this EXACT SAME SCENARIO, Ryan's deal got done at the end of July. Now all of a sudden the plan has hit a snag? 

get outta here. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Brees contract was a big reason saints were in cap **** for like 5 straight years.. 

But Vandy....he was nice enough to rework his deal for the Saints! I mean, it didnt hurt that he kept cashing big bonus checks and rolling his money further back into his deal.......but still!

All of a sudden we've got posters caping for Drew freaking Brees because they want Matt Ryan to do something Brees never did. 

Okie doke. 

15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

X: "Hey, whats your biggest goal in 2018?"

Y: "My #1 focus this year will be to eliminate credit card debt"

<March 29>

X: "SOMETHING IS OBVIOUSLY WRONG BEHIND THE SCENES YOU STILL HAVE A BALANCE ON THIS CARD!!!!"

wut. 

What a piss-poor example.

17 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

<March 1>

X: "Hey, whats your biggest goal in 2018?"

Y: "My #1 focus this year will be to eliminate credit card debt"

<March 29>

X: "SOMETHING IS OBVIOUSLY WRONG BEHIND THE SCENES YOU STILL HAVE A BALANCE ON THIS CARD!!!!"

wut. 

1 minute ago, middlegatv said:

There, I fixed it and put it the fixed portion in bold to help you understand better.

1 minute ago, middlegatv said:

In what way is that not analogous to the current situation? 

A goal/focus is stated. A discrete time frame is provided. An objector draws negative conclusions based on the failure of the goal-oriented individual to achieve said goal before the expiration of said time frame. 

It's literally exactly what you're doing. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

In what way is that not analogous to the current situation? 

A goal/focus is stated. A discrete time frame is provided. An objector draws negative conclusions based on the failure of the goal-oriented individual to achieve said goal before the expiration of said time frame. 

It's literally exactly what you're doing. 

If you can't understand from the video where TD says Matt's contract is the #1 focus and the flexibility it will give them for moves pertains to the 2018 free agency period, then I can't help you ... bud.

3 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

If you can't understand from the video where TD says Matt's contract is the #1 focus and the flexibility it will give them for moves pertains to the 2018 free agency period, then I can't help you ... bud.

"IF YOU DONT ACCEPT MY VERY NARROW POORLY SUPPORTED INFERENCES THEN I CANT HELP YOU"

Well then....guess I'm going without "help"

drats.

22 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Again, head meet sand.

From Rich McKay on January 25th:

Falcons President & CEO Rich McKay said this morning on PFT Live that

“It’s not something that I’d look for in the coming weeks, but it is something that we’ll work on,” McKay said. “It will be a priority. We’ve already begun the discussion. Now, the question, when will that happen? These deals tend to have their own pace to them based on the sense of urgency on both sides, so I’m not going to give you a prediction.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/rich-mckay-contract-matt-ryan-132106210.html

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

But Vandy....he was nice enough to rework his deal for the Saints! I mean, it didnt hurt that he kept cashing big bonus checks and rolling his money further back into his deal.......but still!

All of a sudden we've got posters caping for Drew freaking Brees because they want Matt Ryan to do something Brees never did. 

Okie doke. 

I know Larry, but are we surprised?...Folks say the weirdest things in here when it’s contract time....some are still hating on free and Tru....and it’s starting already on matthews and Beasley....

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Right....those numbers say Brees made more money than Ryan. So.....? 

I really don't know what your point is. Brees has been well compensated. He's never given the Saints a discount. IF he gives the Saints a discount, it won't be until 2019....his age 40 season. And even then, he's still looking at $23m in cash. 

Brees is clearly the most accomplished QB in the game now this side of Tom Brady.   Statistically, he is better than Brady or Rodgers.   

Even at the advanced age of 39, Brees is worth more than Cousins($28.5mm per)or Garoppolo ($27.5mm per).   Brees took $25mm when he likely could have garnered $30mm/yr from Vikings.

Brees took a discount and there is no other way to spin it.

59 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I know Larry, but are we surprised?...Folks say the weirdest things in here when it’s contract time....some are still hating on free and Tru....and it’s starting already on matthews and Beasley....

Fact:   Drew Brees has averaged $750k/yr more than Matt Ryan over 10yrs.   If you break it down by stats, fairly certain we will find that to be legitimately earned additional comp.

Brees is taking significantly less now to finish his career in New Orleans.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fact:   Drew Brees has averaged $750k/yr more than Matt Ryan over 10yrs.   If you break it down by stats, fairly certain we will find that to be legitimately earned additional comp.

Brees is taking significantly less now to finish his career in New Orleans.

I agree on this most recent contract he did give them a small discount, although i could argue it wasn’t that big of a discount. Buy when he was where matt is now, he went for a Max contract that contributed to that team’s cap issues.

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I agree on this most recent contract he did give them a small discount, although i could argue it wasn’t that big of a discount. Buy when he was where matt is now, he went for a Max contract. 

Do you consider $5mm/yr to be a SMALL discount? Brees took $25mm and likely could have gotten $30mm on open market if he was willing to uproot family.  Highly confident Vikings would have rather had 2-3yrs of Brees rather than 3yrs of Cousins.

I promise you Tom Condon wants at least $30mm/yr average deal with probably 3-4yrs guaranteed for Matty Ice.

Drew Brees got 2yrs, $50mm.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Do you consider $5mm/yr to be a SMALL discount? Brees took $25mm and likely could have gotten $30mm on open market if he was willing to uproot family.  Highly confident Vikings would have rather had 2-3yrs of Brees rather than 3yrs of Cousins.

I promise you Tom Condon wants at least $30mm/yr average deal with probably 3-4yrs guaranteed for Matty Ice.

And he's 39 years old, with a contract that allows him to keep his signing bonus if he retires. Not like he's playing for a dollar a year.

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Brees is clearly the most accomplished QB in the game now this side of Tom Brady.   Statistically, he is better than Brady or Rodgers.   

Even at the advanced age of 39, Brees is worth more than Cousins($28.5mm per)or Garoppolo ($27.5mm per).   Brees took $25mm when he likely could have garnered $30mm/yr from Vikings.

The point is you were trying to convince me earlier that Brees had gotten so much money the last several years that by signing for $25mm per year that Brees was basically giving some of it back to make it fair.   I basically have laid out the last 10yrs of cash to Brees and Ryan which illustrates that, even thru the renegotiations that Brees has not been overpaid and especially not in comparison to Mart.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Do you consider $5mm/yr to be a SMALL discount?

I don’t believe he gave a $5M discount.

By and large, salaries aren’t calculated based so much on past performance, but much more so on expected future performance. It’s why 49ers gave Garoppolo a bigger contract than most folks felt he was worth, because he hasn’t accomplished much, but 49ers saw enough to think he will in the future, thus he got paid based on those future expectations. 

The fact Brees is nearly 40 factors into the equation as well. Same for Brady. Meanwhile Ryan is still in his prime years for a QB, so he’s gonna get paid more at 33 than he would if he were 39.

simple economics to me. One could argue Brees contract at $25m is a riskier deal to saints than Ryan at $30M is to falcons. The inverse is true as well...Ryan leaving falcons now in his prime would be much more economically (and in many other ways) devastating to Atlanta than if Brees left N.O. In the twilight of his career. 

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t believe he gave a $5M discount.

By and large, salaries aren’t calculated based so much on past performance, but much more so on expected future performance. It’s why 49ers gave Garoppolo a bigger contract than most folks felt he was worth, because he hasn’t accomplished much, but 49ers saw enough to think he will in the future, thus he got paid based on those future expectations. 

The fact Brees is nearly 40 factors into the equation as well. Same for Brady. Meanwhile Ryan is still in his prime years for a QB, so he’s gonna get paid more at 33 than he would if he were 39.

simple economics to me. One could argue Brees contract at $25m is a riskier deal to saints than Ryan at $30M is to falcons. 

Yours is the ONLY legit explanation that can be argued - the age argument.  However, that is offset with Brees deal being only a 2 year deal - you could also make the argument that giving Matt a 6 yr deal is riskier than Drew's two year deal - given the guarantees and a greater risk that Matt could fall off by years 4,5 and 6 than Brees would fall off in yrs 1 or 2.  

4 hours ago, middlegatv said:

Not making stuff up, bud.

But you just keep on pretending everything is just fine, bud.

Not making it up so much as wildly misinterpreting what's been said.

It is just fine.

Here's Blank and TD on the 2013 extension:

From May 2013:

Blank:

Blank added that both he and Ryan are in a “good place,” but wouldn’t put a timetable on the talks, other than he’s aiming for it to be wrapped up in the “not too distant future,” and before training camp.

While this is no groundbreaking development, it’s notable because the club chose to temporarily shelve negotiations last month in preparation for the draft.

TD

Dimitroff also has said that Ryan "isn't worried about it right now because he knows there is something around the corner, as we do. I am hoping that we can agree to something going into the season."

That was 2 months before he signed his extension in July 2013.  Compare those statements to these from Blank and TD about the current extension.

"I'm not concerned.[ about getting the deal done]"

"There's no time frame"

"It  [the extension] will be on our radar sometime in the near future"

"The initial talks were positive, of course"

"It’s not something that I’d look for in the coming weeks [in Jan], but it is something that we’ll work on...I’m not going to give you a prediction."

They're saying exactly what they said the last time they extended Ryan. No reason to assume this one will turn out any differently.

http://helmet2helmet.com/2013/05/21/falcons-owner-wants-matt-ryan-extension-done-asap/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9174597/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-not-too-worried-new-deal

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Not making it up so much as wildly misinterpreting what's been said.

It is just fine.

Here's Blank and TD on the 2013 extension:

From May 2013:

Blank:

Blank added that both he and Ryan are in a “good place,” but wouldn’t put a timetable on the talks, other than he’s aiming for it to be wrapped up in the “not too distant future,” and before training camp.

While this is no groundbreaking development, it’s notable because the club chose to temporarily shelve negotiations last month in preparation for the draft.

TD

Dimitroff also has said that Ryan "isn't worried about it right now because he knows there is something around the corner, as we do. I am hoping that we can agree to something going into the season."

That was 2 months before he signed his extension in July 2013.  Compare those statements to these from Blank and TD about the current extension.

"I'm not concerned.[ about getting the deal done]"

"There's no time frame"

"It  [the extension] will be on our radar sometime in the near future"

"The initial talks were positive, of course"

"It’s not something that I’d look for in the coming weeks [in Jan], but it is something that we’ll work on...I’m not going to give you a prediction."

They're saying exactly what they said the last time they extended Ryan. No reason to assume this one will turn out any differently.

http://helmet2helmet.com/2013/05/21/falcons-owner-wants-matt-ryan-extension-done-asap/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9174597/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-not-too-worried-new-deal

Excuse but I'm done talking about this.

I'm now busy negotiating with Jesus on turning a football into 3 defensive tackles.

40 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

1) Contracts arent handed out for "accomplishment" they're handed out for future performance. At no point has his compensation not been communserate with his production. As soon as he played well, he started getting top of the market money. 

2) He isnt statistically better than either Brady or Rodgers. He has a higher volume of statistics. Those two things arent the same. Unless you think Jon Kitna is "statistically better" than Rodgers because he has more career passing yards

3) If we're now qualifying not taking literal top dollar as a "discount" then we need to give Matt Ryan credit for taking a discount in 2013. He clearly could have made more money on the open market than he made here. But he chose to stay at home with a market rate QB contract.  Same thing for Aaron Rodgers. He most certainly could have received more on the open market. Heck, he can let his contract run out and go to the Brown for HUGE money. But he wont. He'll be the highest paid QB in football. But he will not have maximized his earning potential. Does that mean he's taking a discount? Obviously not. 

Just now, middlegatv said:

Excuse but I'm done talking about this.

I'm now busy negotiating with Jesus on turning a football into 3 defensive tackles.

Yeah, done talking about this cause you just got gobsmacked with the truth. Falcons are doing this deal the same exact way they did Ryan's last deal, down to the comments they've made.