So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

5 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Or Ryan has a year left on his contract, free agency is pretty much over, both sides know Ryan will retire a Falcon, and the draft is less than 30 days away. Only these boards would think "there is something behind the scenes"

If you want to get literal about it, everything in the NFL happens behind the scenes other than the games, open training camp practices, the NFL Draft itself and press conferences.....everything else - behind the scenes!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, middlegatv said:

... after all this time of TD telling us it was.

DQ also said that they just want to get Matt signed before the 2019 free agency period starts. 2019? 2019??

WTH is going on behind the scenes here?

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/atlanta-falcons-dan-quinn-matt-ryan-catch-rule-changes

Matt Ryan's contract is the "#1 focus" (TD) and "the top priority" (AB) which DQ contradicts in the 7th minute portion which of the NBC sports video saying that for them going into the offseason it's about free agency and then the draft, which is the biggest part of the offseason, and he then basically says as long as they have Matt signed to a new contract before 2019 free agency and there was never a timeframe on getting him signed, which really seems to contradict TD's obvious goal of a new contract to free up money for moves, which can easily be implied to mean 2018 FA and extending other Falcons.

There's a contradiction here. Something's not right in FB. In the end it will most likely get resolved. But don't kid yourselves, there's some dysfunction going on concerning MR's new contract.

Screenshot_2018-03-29-08-27-38.png

Edited by middlegatv

@middlegatv

Well, TD and AB never set a timetable. Didn't even give an estimate of when a deal would likely be done. DQ finally saying it would be done by next free agency says more about how they're approaching it (which is very carefully) than whether or not there is some organizational dysfunction. A certain task being a top priority doesn't mean it has to be completed first or even soon. It just means that whatever the plans are for the Falcons franchise, Ryan will, for the foreseeable future, be a paramount part of it. Ryan is an elite franchise QB. QBs of his caliber aren't a dime-a-dozen, so when you get one, you hold onto him as long as possible. AB knows that, TD knows that, and DQ knows that (pretty sure that was a huge reason he even took the job in Atlanta).

That being said, they know better than to rush the process. You can't rush the process given the circumstances. Many of the moves yet to be made or not made will likely have Ryan's contract as an extenuating factor for how and/or why it was done.

I mean really dude, if you paid more attention to what has actually been done rather than what's been said it's plainly obvious that the Falcons are fine. The fact that talk show hosts are trying to read between the lines and looking for any bit of rhetoric to create a story (as you are) because no one at Flowery Branch is disclosing anything of potential weight goes to show everything is under control.

Have you heard from Ryan? Tom Condon? Can anyone tell me what Ryan is thinking or where he even is?

Didn't think so.

Edited by JerseyNo12

10 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Didnt brees jack up his shoulder in SD? Memory is hazy but if i remember right that precipitated his transition out of California.

Yeah it was sort of all part of it. He was bad his first few years. San Diego decided to draft Rivers as a franchise QB. That year, Brees looked like a different player. He was on the last year of his deal so SD franchised him for 2005. Brees played well again but tore his labrum in Week 17. The Chargers likely used that as the "tie breaker" and went with the transition to Rivers. Brees hit the market, negotiated with Miami and New Orleans, and ultimately went to NO after the Dolphins traded for Daunte Culpepper. That contract was 6y/$60m, which was still pretty close to the top of the market and comparable to what other high end starters were making. 

1 hour ago, middlegatv said:

Matt Ryan's contract is the "#1 focus" (TD) and "the top priority" (AB) which DQ contradicts in the 7th minute portion which of the NBC sports video saying that for them going into the offseason it's about free agency and then the draft, which is the biggest part of the offseason, and he then basically says as long as they have Matt signed to a new contract before 2019 free agency and there was never a timeframe on getting him signed, which really seems to contradict TD's obvious goal of a new contract to free up money for moves, which can easily be implied to mean 2018 FA and extending other Falcons.

There's a contradiction here. Something's not right in FB. In the end it will most likely get resolved. But don't kid yourselves, there's some dysfunction going on concerning MR's new contract.

Wrong. 

Something being the #1 focus/top priority for the offseason doesnt mean its the first thing done.....it means its the most important thing to accomplish during the offseason. And last I checked, the offseason is on-going. The rest of this is noise you've brought to the situation. 

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Wrong. 

Something being the #1 focus/top priority for the offseason doesnt mean its the first thing done.....it means its the most important thing to accomplish during the offseason. And last I checked, the offseason is on-going. The rest of this is noise you've brought to the situation. 

No you're wrong, bud.

But you keep on sticking your head in the sand on this.

Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you're always right or smarter than the rest of us, bud.

Edited by middlegatv

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Matt has gotten his money every year since 2008.  He has had 3 large contracts already and has collected every dime of it.

I don’t begrudge a man his money but others have taken less - including Brady and now Brees - better QBs who made a pittance on their rookie deals.

These are the facts, and they are undisputed.

Actually, they arent the facts. Matt's had 2 contracts, collected the full value of one. He most certainly has not collected the full value of three contracts. 

Again, Brees has been paid more dollars than Matt Ryan, both in total and on a prorated basis since 2008. He's collected more money. And just worked himself into a year to year deal which pays him market value in Y1 and allows him to walk away in Y2. 

Brees isnt taking a discount. Brady is the only high level QB that can credibly claim to have "taken less" on a consistent basis. And even that is dubious given the money the Kraft family has invested in his projects outside of football. 

Just now, middlegatv said:

No you're wrong, bud.

But you keep on sticking your head in the sand on this.

Just because you're mean you're always right or smarter than the rest of us, bud.

lol

This isnt an issue of being "right" or "smarter" it's an issue of conjecture and fictionalization. Don't make stuff up. 

24 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Actually, they arent the facts. Matt's had 2 contracts, collected the full value of one. He most certainly has not collected the full value of three contracts. 

Again, Brees has been paid more dollars than Matt Ryan, both in total and on a prorated basis since 2008. He's collected more money. And just worked himself into a year to year deal which pays him market value in Y1 and allows him to walk away in Y2. 

Brees isnt taking a discount. Brady is the only high level QB that can credibly claim to have "taken less" on a consistent basis. And even that is dubious given the money the Kraft family has invested in his projects outside of football. 

Yearly Cash per Sportstrac since 2008:

Drew Brees: $156mm

Matt Ryan: $149mm

$7mm difference over 10 seasons = $750k per season.

Matt will easily eclipse Drew in cash for last 10+ yrs (from 2008 - present) once the new contract is inked.

Just now, middlegatv said:

Screenshot_2018-03-29-08-27-38.png

You're reading the headlines, not what they actually said. Blank never said top priority, that's McCLure's  words.

Here's Blanks quote from the story:

Owner Arthur Blank said Ryan "needs to be compensated well, and he will be"  There's no top priority in any quote in that story.

TD: "I think it's not going to be that difficult of a negotiation, quite honestly. I think we're going to be in a good spot with it. Yeah, we do have to be creative. We always have to be creative."

The media is just stirring things up, looking for something to talk about.

Take this headline for example:

MATT RYAN CONTRACT: Atlanta Falcons near mega-deal for QB Matt  Ryan.

First line of the story?

"The Falcons have opened negotiations with Ryan's agent..."

Opening negotiations and being close to a deal are two way different things, but if you just read the headline, sounds like they're about to strike a deal, when they aren't.

https://www.wsbtv.com/sports/falcons-near-mega-deal-for-qb-matt-ryan/709108566 

This "controversy" is just media speculation and misrepresentation.

You read headlines like "priority" and "close to a mega deal" and you think, wow, they're about to sign Ryan.

You actually read the quotes the stories are based on, they tell a completely different story.

Here's another quote from TD:

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff on starting contract talks with agent Tom Condon regarding an extension for QB Matt Ryan: ``Our drive is to get it done, obviously, soon. And I can see it getting done in the relatively near future. But I'm not fretting if it's delayed.'

That is not a quote from a GM annoyed/worried about a contract getting done immediately. 

And, when was the last difficult contract negotiations the Falcons had?

This is a complete non issue, feel free to worry about it, but don't expect me to. 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

If you want to get literal about it, everything in the NFL happens behind the scenes other than the games, open training camp practices, the NFL Draft itself and press conferences.....everything else - behind the scenes!

Cmon man dont be that guy, you know exactly what was meant by behind the scenes!

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Yearly Cash per Sportstrac since 2008:

Drew Brees: $156mm

Matt Ryan: $149mm

$7mm difference over 10 seasons = $750k per season.

Matt will easily eclipse Drew in cash for last 10+ yrs (from 2008 - present) once the new contract is inked.

Again....this figure does not account for Brees' most recent extension. Regardless, it isnt really relevant. Brees wasnt as good a prospect as Ryan was so his rookie contract wasnt as substantial. He was also drafted 7 years earlier. As soon as he was able to be compensated at a non-value rate, he was. First with a franchise tag, then with multiple top of market deals. He's gotten every single dollar. 

Timing drives compensation just as much as ability does. Which is why Matt Stafford has already pocketed more money than both Ryan and Brees since he entered the league. I'm not really sure why thats controversial. Heck, Sam Bradford's collected $115m for what? 

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Again....this figure does not account for Brees' most recent extension. Regardless, it isnt really relevant. Brees wasnt as good a prospect as Ryan was so his rookie contract wasnt as substantial. He was also drafted 7 years earlier. As soon as he was able to be compensated at a non-value rate, he was. First with a franchise tag, then with multiple top of market deals. He's gotten every single dollar. 

Timing drives compensation just as much as ability does. Which is why Matt Stafford has already pocketed more money than both Ryan and Brees since he entered the league. I'm not really sure why thats controversial. Heck, Sam Bradford's collected $115m for what? 

Now you are moving the goalposts!

I took your parameters since 2008-2017, looked up Sportstrac yearly cash and gave the numbers - you can see for yourself on Sportstrac.

12 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You're reading the headlines, not what they actually said. Blank never said top priority, that's McCLure's  words.

Owner Arthur Blank said Ryan "needs to be compensated well, and he will be"  There's no top priority in any quote in that story.

TD: "I think it's not going to be that difficult of a negotiation, quite honestly. I think we're going to be in a good spot with it. Yeah, we do have to be creative. We always have to be creative."

First line of the story?

Opening negotiations and being close to a deal are two way different things, but if you just read the headline, sounds like they're about to strike a deal, when they aren't.

You read headlines like "priority" and "close to a mega deal" and you think, wow, they're about to sign Ryan.

You actually read the quotes the stories are based on, they tell a completely different story.

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff on starting contract talks with agent Tom Condon regarding an extension for QB Matt Ryan: ``Our drive is to get it done, obviously, soon. And I can see it getting done in the relatively near future. But I'm not fretting if it's delayed.'

That is not a quote from a GM annoyed/worried about a contract getting done immediately. 

This is a complete non issue, feel free to worry about it, but don't expect me to. 

Head meet sand.

24 minutes ago, falconidae said:

First line of the story?

You are being naive.   Falcons planned to sign Matt Ryan by now.  No one is trying to stir up controversy but clearly Matt and his agent see things differently from Blank and TD - if not, it would be done as those expectations were set by the team.   Besides, it’s not controversial, it’s just business and negotiating.   Frankly I am glad it is not easy as I have thought in the past re-signing players was too easy - if it’s easy, you are probably overpaying many times and/or not using all your leverage.

Leverage - let’s talk about it. While Matt has been incredibly blessed and healthy in his 10yrs in the ATL, it only takes one hit to change a career.   Matt is due to make $21mm this year but he could sign an extension with guarantees north of $90mm - it’s a big risk.   On the flip side, Matt could have another MVP season, play out the contract, force Falcons to either Franchise him or ay even bigger contract- or Matt’s play could fall off as well.  Literally anything could happen should Matt play out contract with no extension.

It is perfectly fine for it all to go down this way.  I hope the Falcons  get something for the wait.   It is a zero sum gain in a salary cap league.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I can explain it to you, can't make you understand.

When was the last difficult contract negotiations the Falcons had with a player? 

It's been a while AS FAR AS WE KNOW but that doesn't mean there would NEVER be a next time.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

You are being naive.   Falcons planned to sign Matt Ryan by now.  No one is trying to stir up controversy but clearly Matt and his agent see things differently from Blank and TD - if not, it would be done as those expectations were set by the team.   Besides, it’s not controversial, it’s just business and negotiating.   Frankly I am glad it is not easy as I have thought in the past re-signing players was too easy - if it’s easy, you are probably overpaying many times.

It is perfectly fine for it all to go down this way.  I hope the Falcons  get something for the wait.   It is a zero sum gain in a salary cap league.

No, I'm not. You can't produce one quote from the falcons that indicates they expected to get this deal done by now. Or that they're upset by the pace.

You also can't show that these contract talks are any different than any others the falcons have done.  Because they're not.

6 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

It's been a while AS FAR AS WE KNOW but that doesn't mean there would NEVER be a next time.

There's no "as far as we know", and there would have to be a first time for there to be a next time.

Nothing the falcons have said or done indicates they're upset with the contract talks or that they aren't going well. Or that these talks are any different than the dozens of contract talks they've already done.

You're convinced that "top priority", which is still not a phrase anybody from the falcons has used, means that it needs to be the first thing done and it has to get done immediately. Which is just not so.

The media and the fans are upset that Ryan hasn't gotten his extension, don't see any indication that the Falcons are.

28 minutes ago, falconidae said:

There's no "as far as we know", and there would have to be a first time for there to be a next time.

Nothing the falcons have said or done indicates they're upset with the contract talks or that they aren't going well. Or that these talks are any different than the dozens of contract talks they've already done.

You're convinced that "top priority", which is still not a phrase anybody from the falcons has used, means that it needs to be the first thing done and it has to get done immediately. Which is just not so.

The media and the fans are upset that Ryan hasn't gotten his extension, don't see any indication that the Falcons are.

Again, head meet sand.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Now you are moving the goalposts!

I took your parameters since 2008-2017, looked up Sportstrac yearly cash and gave the numbers - you can see for yourself on Sportstrac.

Right....those numbers say Brees made more money than Ryan. So.....? 

I really don't know what your point is. Brees has been well compensated. He's never given the Saints a discount. IF he gives the Saints a discount, it won't be until 2019....his age 40 season. And even then, he's still looking at $23m in cash.