So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

Just now, middlegatv said:

Just because it went smooth last time doesn't mean it's going smoothly this time. And I don't remember the necessity for the Falcons to get something done so they would have money for that FA period.

Again, none of us fans brought up what a priority it was to sign MR. That was AB and TD that put it out there.

No one said that Matt's deal had to get done for this year's free agency. That's been a theme on these boards but thats been a whole lot of reading into the situation. TD mentioned the ability/need to be flexible and creative with Matt's extension. That doesnt necessarily mean so they can spend money on street FAs. It more likely (based on how the team has spent the last few offseasons) means that Matt's contract will allow flexibility and creativity in the way they keep other players. 

You're right. Just because things went smoothly last time doesnt mean they'll go smoothly this time. But at the very least, it sets an expectation for appropriate time tables. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

The bolded sentence is a DIRECT contradiction to what AB and TD were saying after the season.

So, which is it?

Was it the main priority like AB and TD said or "just whenever it happens" like DQ is saying?

There's some kind of disconnection going on among AB, TD, DQ, and Matt Ryan.

"I'm not concerned," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff told reporters when asked about Ryan's contract Wednesday. "Like I've said before, our focus is on Matt and getting him secured here for years to come. He wants to be with us, we want him to be here. As I've said, I don't think it's a complicated situation. I think it's a significant situation. He's a very important part to the organization. There's no time frame on it right now."

And so we didnt have any ya know 'Matt has to be done by this time or at this point' but we anticipate that happening ya know prior to next free agency."

I'd say those two thing match up really well.

Just now, falconidae said:

"I'm not concerned," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff told reporters when asked about Ryan's contract Wednesday. "Like I've said before, our focus is on Matt and getting him secured here for years to come. He wants to be with us, we want him to be here. As I've said, I don't think it's a complicated situation. I think it's a significant situation. He's a very important part to the organization. There's no time frame on it right now."

And so we didnt have any ya know 'Matt has to be done by this time or at this point' but we anticipate that happening ya know prior to next free agency."

I'd say those two thing match up really well.

Well, duh, they say that now because FA is basically over.

I clearly remember AB saying he was counting on MR signing a team friendly deal to help them out in FA. And he wasn't talking about 2019.

Obviously something kept that from happening.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I don't want this to get lost in the mix.

Chef_kiss.jpg

I actually put very few people on ignore, because most of the people that irritate me get banned pretty quickly. It's rare that someone both irritates me, contributes little or nothing to any discussion and stays within COC. I've had this one on ignore for years, only time i see his posts is when someone quotes them, haven't seen   anything in his quoted posts that makes me want to change my mind.

I think the confusion lies in the remarks TD has made. He did say "signing Matt Ryan in the offseason is a priority".....but also he's said "There's no time frame in signing Matt Ryan". 

So whatever all that means, I really don't give 2 shyts.

It'll get done when it gets done. I'm more concerned how this team is going to perform in 2018.

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I actually put very few people on ignore, because most of the people that irritate me get banned pretty quickly. It's rare that someone both irritates me, contributes little or nothing to any discussion and stays within COC. I've had this one on ignore for years, only time i see his posts is when someone quotes them, haven't seen   anything in his quoted posts that makes me want to change my mind.

He is a rare breed, I've considered ignoring him but I find him way too entertaining.  I have ignored a few people this offseason, I can't bite the bullet on this one.

7 minutes ago, falconidae said:

If you're talking about me, then BOO-HOO, OH WHAT WILL I DO? 

I don't give a crap whether you like my posts or not.

6 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Well, duh, they say that now because FA is basically over.

I clearly remember AB saying he was counting on MR signing a team friendly deal to help them out in FA. And he wasn't talking about 2019.

Obviously something kept that from happening.

No, FA isn't about over- the insanely big money contracts for decent players is over. Falcons were never going to be big players in that part of FA this year, with or without Ryan's extension.

From January,  When McClure asked about Matt's extension:

"No real comment, just the fact that it will be a focus this offseason," Dimitroff said. 

McClure is the one that said priority in the  ESPN headline, TD said focus. Every single priority headline can be traced back to McClure misquoting TD. TD never said it had to be done by a certain time,

Same article:

"I think it's not going to be that difficult of a negotiation, quite honestly. I think we're going to be in a good spot with it. Yeah, we do have to be creative. We always have to be creative."

The Falcons typically complete such expensive long-term deals before the start of training camp.

Look, if you want to, unlike Quinn, lose sleep over the deal, feel free. But there's no reason to, deal will get done soon enough. 

9 minutes ago, athell said:

He's not talking about you you **** child relax

The term these days is "triggered".

And there's  slight itty-bitty chance that I may have been.

The bottom line is whenever MR signs a new contract, NONE of us will ever know if there was indeed some acrimony behind the scenes because it will be nothing but a lovefest then.

The only way we'll know that crap has hit the fan is if he plays out his contract refusing to sign a new one.

Edited by middlegatv

11 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

If you're talking about me, then BOO-HOO, OH WHAT WILL I DO? 

I don't give a crap whether you like my posts or not.

If that was true, you wouldn't respond like that.

You would be a lot calmer if you would actually read what is written, you're working yourself  into a lather about things that were never said.

This is BS. Make up whatever justifies your tinfoil hats all you want, but they ain't doing anything more or less than they ever were. Other things may come to the forefront because of deadlines, but the back and forth will continue at a necessary pace until the deal gets done

just like last time

Some of you people need to get over your drama and get a life

7 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

The bottom line is whenever MR signs a new contract, NONE of us will ever know if there was indeed some acrimony behind the scenes because it will be nothing but a lovefest then.

The only way we'll know that crap has hit the fan is if he plays out his contract refusing to sign a new one.

Who cares?  As long as Matt produces on the field...who cares what we don't know about the behind the scenes stuff?  Seriously?  It doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

That's just not going to happen. Ryan wants to be here, falcons want him to be here, Falcons are really good at getting contracts done,there's no indication whatsoever that there are problems. 

People assumed that priority meant an immediate signing, when TD never said that, never used the word priority, never said the signing was imminent.

Falcons and Ryan are doing exactly what they did the last time Ryan signed an extension, there's truly no need to panic here.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Brees came into the league as a player picked at end of 1st round.   In his 2nd contract, there were only two bidders and he was coming off a shoulder injury.

Matt came into the league as the #3 overall pick before the rookie wage scale.   Matt got a big 2nd contract and about to get a big 3rd contract.   Matt has been more fortunate than Brees in this regard dealing w/ contracts - so, sorry....your premise doesn't hold up under further scrutiny.

Market value is the only premise and Brees always got market value. He didn't put himself in position to be drafted 3rd overall coming out of college. He didn't show much in San Diego before the shoulder injury and his replacement was drafted after his third season. Ryan had a great college career, a great start to his NFL career as well. Ryan was paid accordingly based on those factors. Brees was as well. 

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

There's also a heck of a lot more at play than just his market value. He's essentially built himself into the fabric of New Orleans. The pressure for him to remain there, both external and internal, is pretty massive. 

And I mean....its not like dude took $12m a year. He pocketed $27 million in Y1 cash and left himself an out if he only wants to play one more year. That would be market rate for him. 

So has Matt Ryan not “built himself into the fabric of the ATL”?

1 hour ago, Dem Birds said:

Market value is the only premise and Brees always got market value. He didn't put himself in position to be drafted 3rd overall coming out of college. He didn't show much in San Diego before the shoulder injury and his replacement was drafted after his third season. Ryan had a great college career, a great start to his NFL career as well. Ryan was paid accordingly based on those factors. Brees was as well. 

The bottom line is Drew Brees took about 20% less than his market value to stay in New Orleans AND helped his team while doing so.

3 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

lol!

Actually, its not on the video. Very specifically not. 

Florio: asking about Matt's contract "How much of that is relevant to you? It feels like its a TD and ownership issue <DQ says "yeah"> From your perspective, do you have a level of anxiety where you just like to get this done and put it behind you and know that Matt Ryan will be there with a manageable cap number well into the future and dont have to worry about franchise tags or any scenario where the dominoes fall in a way where you know the unthinkable could happen but we've seen the unthinkable happen with multiple teams where an entrenched franchise QB ends up somewhere else" (ASIDE: This actually isn't true. When's the last entrenched franchise QB we've seen end up somewhere else?)

DQ: So uh yeah theres things that keep me up at night and thats not one of them and the reason being this guy like...longtime Falcon and you know we certainly anticipate that being the case. Going into the offseason really the plan, ya know, free agency, and then the biggest part for us, the draft. And so we didnt have any ya know 'Matt has to be done by this time or at this point' but we anticipate that happening ya know prior to next free agency."

So Quinn actually says its more a TD function, says there wasnt an arbitrary deadline for an extension and says they plan has been to get through FA and the draft. And says multiple times that he anticipates it happening. 

At no point did he assign importance or priority to anything. At no point did he refute anything TD or Arthur has said. At no point has TD or Arthur said anything suggesting that Matt Ryan's deal was taking precedence over any other aspect of the offseason. 

If you'd like that explained "to your face" have someone print it up and read it to you. 

We should be able to like Mods posts.