So now DQ is saying Matt Ryan's new contract is not the top priority...

middlegatv

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

... after all this time of TD telling us it was.

DQ also said that they just want to get Matt signed before the 2019 free agency period starts. 2019? 2019??

WTH is going on behind the scenes here?

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/atlanta-falcons-dan-quinn-matt-ryan-catch-rule-changes

I imagine it's because the need to free up cap space has subsided as we're past the big-dollar phase of FA that a new MR2 deal would have helped with.

8 minutes ago, brewman said:

I imagine it's because the need to free up cap space has subsided as we're past the big-dollar phase of FA that a new MR2 deal would have helped with.

I'm wondering if MR was waiting to see if the Falcons were going to get someone that was "worthy", for MR to sacrifice $$$. Perhaps bring back Poe? Now that they let that pass, now MR is focused on $$$. 

13 minutes ago, LookAboutFalcon said:

Maybe Matt is going the Joe Flacco route, bet on himself and get paid even more.  Just a theory

Well considering Drew Brees is a HOF’r and he took $25mm/yr,   not a great look overall.

Clearly OP is right that “something going on” behind the scenes now that the narrative is shifting.

Where did this report come from?

Or mayyybeee the Falcons brass is finally wising up... Hmmmm. Issa team sport so why is one man allowed to eat up all the cap? Matt's last extension came right before a couple of sub-par seasons if I recall correctly .. Not saying they were exactly his fault but some got the feeling even four years ago that he was slightly overcompensated. Where is his competition? Isn't that DQ's philosophy? Comp at all positions? Maybe DQ is one of few coaches who understands that good QB should be rewarded but not to the point of crippling the cap whether on the front end or the back end .. obviously this is optimistic fanspeak but hey, you never know :rolleyes:

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

They will wait until the post June 1 cap help from releases, see how the draft plays out based on positions and by the time the season rolls around we could see Garland and Schaub as cuts, which would gives us an extra $9 million (with Tioilolo $) to help front load MR2 contract. You might not think it, but reducing his cap hit by $2 mil/yr in later years with built in roster bonuses as the major driver of the high dollar amount will be huge in 3 years. Plus, who’s to say by that time we haven’t extend Jake Matthews creating more cap space?

I think they wanted to extend him and make his number lower to accommodate the Bennett trade. After that didn’t happen, it makes more since to wait and front load as much as possible this year and next year to accomadare other players future salaries and still give Matt the $$ he deserves.

Lookat Matt Ryan’s 2017 playoff numbers. He’s the main reason we even got to the SB. He’s gonna get paid and deservedly.

actually, the more I think about it - I kind of like that Falcons are taking a bit of time - like others have said - no really "must have" guys in free agency now and gotta get past that "May 5th" deadline to sign UFA's (that were not cut) to not count against the comp formula.

Maybe Falcons can sign a Bennie Logan on May 5th to a 1-yr deal.

As far as Matt's deal goes, he deserves to get paid handsomely - no one disputes this - but clearly there are examples of those that take less.   Brees took probably $4-5mm under what he would have gotten in open market.    Cousins would have made more had he took the NY Jets offer.     Matt has probably made more than anyone since he came in the league in 2008 - remember the rookie wage salaries did not kick-in until 2010 - so he got paid like a monster out of the gate.

Here are top salaries as of today on per/yr average:

1. Kirk Cousins - $28mm/yr (signed 2018)
  2. Jimmy Garropolo - $27.5mm/yr (signed 2018)
  3. Matthew Stafford - $27mm/yr (signed 2017)
  4. Derek Carr - $25mm/yr (signed 2017)
  5. Drew Brees - $25mm/yr (signed 2018)
  6. Andrew Luck - $24.6mm/yr
  7. Joe Flacco - $22mm/yr
  8. Aaron Rodgers - $22mm/yr
  9. Russell Wilson - $21.9mm/yr
  10. Ben Roethlisberger - $21.8mm/yr

Obviously salaries are escalating and Rodgers in line for more money.   I just don't think Matt should try to extract every dollar - especially given the Falcons situation and trying to extend a window for SB.   Falcons have put a lot of talent around Matt Ryan over his years, got him a stud #1 WR, tandem of RBs, all-pro Center, good OTs, etc.  - all those moves over the years have helped Matt - he has been given more than Rodgers, more than Russell Wilson, etc. - for all of that, Matt has played well.   The one stat that I am not crazy about is 26 TDs/yr - just feel like he should be averaging 30 and he has only topped 30 twice.

Drew Brees taking $25mm/yr is the real outlier but it is somewhat fair - granted Brees is older - but also better than Matt and he took significantly less - he could have probably gotten close to $30mm/yr had he shopped himself - Vikings and Broncos might have given him that - he was a true UFA.

I would like to see Matt sign a deal averaging about $28.5mm/yr for 3-6yrs in length with a lot of guaranteed money.   If Tom Condon plays hardball, he probably could get $30mm/yr - but would like to see Matt take a little less.   Condon represents Drew Brees as well - Brees took substantially less.

1 hour ago, LookAboutFalcon said:

Maybe Matt is going the Joe Flacco route, bet on himself and get paid even more.  Just a theory

Flacco is horrible.   he has been garbage since signing that contract and he was not really that good before - he had one good year of playoff numbers....

Flacco average annual stats:  

61.7% completion percentage

232yds/game

3,578yds/yr

20 TDs/yr

13 INTs/yr

.....and he makes $22mm/yr - more than $1mm/TD.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Flacco is horrible.   he has been garbage since signing that contract and he was not really that good before - he had one good year of playoff numbers....

Flacco average annual stats:  

61.7% completion percentage

232yds/game

3,578yds/yr

20 TDs/yr

13 INTs/yr

.....and he makes $22mm/yr - more than $1mm/TD.

Yeah, I know Flacco hasn't been good since his super bowl run.  I was speculating that maybe Ryan is going to do the same thing and cash out big at the other end.

Also Matt and his agent could be playing  game of chicken with the front office with Aaron Rodgers deal at play.  Who is going to sign that fat contract 1st and then the other go off of that.

2 minutes ago, LookAboutFalcon said:

Yeah, I know Flacco hasn't been good since his super bowl run.  I was speculating that maybe Ryan is going to do the same thing and cash out big at the other end.

Also Matt and his agent could be playing  game of chicken with the front office with Aaron Rodgers deal at play.  Who is going to sign that fat contract 1st and then the other go off of that.

Flacco has thrown for more than 4,000 yards - ONCE!!!!!! in his 10yr career.   ONCE!!!

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Well considering Drew Brees is a HOF’r and he took $25mm/yr,   not a great look overall.

Clearly OP is right that “something going on” behind the scenes now that the narrative is shifting.

Drew Brees is 40, and the contract he signed is worded such that they can't get the signing bonus back if he reitres.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah and the last time his contract was up he didn't take less than market and they had to trade Jimmy Graham. Brees is at the end of his career and has had his big time deals already. This is Ryans last big contract

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Your use of "clearly" here is misplaced. 

The "narrative" hasnt shifted. At all. Nor did DQ say anything about the priority placed on Matt Ryan's contract. 

Why are we drawing a congruence between what TD says and what DQ says? They're different people that fill different functions for the organization. While they are a collaborative team, that doesnt mean they're doing the same things or have the same particular priorities in a given day. 

OP is sticking to his shtick. He isnt right about anything....other than bringing clickbait to TATF

11 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Yeah and the last time his contract was up he didn't take less than market and they had to trade Jimmy Graham. Brees is at the end of his career and has had his big time deals already. This is Ryans last big contract

I imagine Ryan has earnt close if not more than Brees during their respective careers. 

1 hour ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Or mayyybeee the Falcons brass is finally wising up... Hmmmm. Issa team sport so why is one man allowed to eat up all the cap? Matt's last extension came right before a couple of sub-par seasons if I recall correctly .. Not saying they were exactly his fault but some got the feeling even four years ago that he was slightly overcompensated. Where is his competition? Isn't that DQ's philosophy? Comp at all positions? Maybe DQ is one of few coaches who understands that good QB should be rewarded but not to the point of crippling the cap whether on the front end or the back end .. obviously this is optimistic fanspeak but hey, you never know :rolleyes:

No, it's just silliness because you don't understand how valuable Ryan is and how the cap works. Ryan isn't going anywhere. They aren't bringing in competition because, one, Ryan doesn't need anyone to push him and two, no QB they can afford to bring in would be able to push him.

Ryan's cap hit for the Super Bowl year was 15.2% of the cap. His new contract will have the same percentage of the cap or less.  If they went to the Super Bowl with that cap hit, no reason they can't go back with a similar or smaller cap hit. If you look at the first 2 deals Ryan signed, and the contacts that the falcons sign generally, they have smaller cap hits the first 3 years, this one will probably be the same way.

Ryan's contract when he signed it made him the highest paid QB in the league, now he's the 14 highest paid QB, same thing will happen with this deal.

Quinn said,the extension will be done  by this time next year, so, somewhere between then and now. Think all that meant is that he's not worried about it, don't think that was an estimate for a timeline. He also did say there was several things that keep him up at night, but that Ryan's deal wasn't one of them.

Would also like to point out there are multiple avenues to gain cap space besides a Ryan extension. One thing they could do is turn Ryan's salary for this year into a signing bonus, free up several million in cap space, then do the extension later. Much simpler transaction than an extension, gives them the cap relief. IF a deal falls into their lap, they'll do something like that to free up space.

27 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Brees came into the league as a player picked at end of 1st round.   In his 2nd contract, there were only two bidders and he was coming off a shoulder injury.

Matt came into the league as the #3 overall pick before the rookie wage scale.   Matt got a big 2nd contract and about to get a big 3rd contract.   Matt has been more fortunate than Brees in this regard dealing w/ contracts - so, sorry....your premise doesn't hold up under further scrutiny.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Brees came into the league as a player picked at end of 1st round.   In his 2nd contract, there were only two bidders and he was coming off a shoulder injury.

Matt came into the league as the #3 overall pick before the rookie wage scale.   Matt got a big 2nd contract and about to get a big 3rd contract.   Matt has been more fortunate than Brees in this regard dealing w/ contracts - so, sorry....your premise doesn't hold up under further scrutiny.

This part of it does: when Brees was in the same exact spot as Ryan-33 years old, he got every single cent he could.

Hurney screwed up, he loved having an elite QB at 10 mil a year and didn't extend Brees early, waited til the last minute, put the franchise tag on him. That plus some bad FA deals put a serious crimp in the saints budget.

The extension before this one set up the saints with 18 mil of dead money after a year , this last one, Saints can't reclaim the signing bonus if Brees retires next year. Lower than max deals, still not really team friendly.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

over 7 more years of salary.   Brees entered draft in 2001 and Ryan in 2008.

so Brees has averaged $13.25mm/yr

Matt Ryan has averaged $15.2mm/yr

Post I was responding to  just said Ryan had made more money.

Brees has made 16 mil a year with the Saints last 12 years. 

I don't give a single crap what matt, his agent,  or anyone here thinks matt has earned.  I've put up with countless chokes, the infamous slide, jokes about him literally ****ting his pants. 

As great as he's been,  he isn't the bees knees.  He needs to get his agent on the phone and tell him to sign whatever the flying heck the falcons are offering so we can move on. 

The nerve,  the **** nerve