Matt Ryan's First Cousin is a Projected 1st Round Pick

This was interesting to me & the first I'd heard of it. If this has been talked about before, I apologize.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/44324

mcglinchey.jpg

In Mel Kiper Jr.'s third mock draft, the Baltimore Ravens use the No. 16 overall pick to add a starting right tackle who is also a relative of an NFL Most Valuable Player.

Notre Dame's Mike McGlinchey, who is considered the second-best offensive tackle in this draft by Kiper, is also a first cousin to Atlanta Falconsquarterback Matt Ryan. McGlinchey attended the same private elementary and high school in Philadelphia as the four-time Pro Bowl passer. 

Whether Matt knew he was doing it or not, he's been forming me to be the kind or person and athlete and teammate and leader that I am, probably since I was in third grade," McGlinchey said.

Ryan was one of two quarterbacks drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft. The other was the Ravens' Joe Flacco.

Taking a right tackle in the first round to protect Flacco is a viable option for the Ravens. Baltimore didn't pick up the 2018 option on Austin Howard, and the team is planning on replacing him with recently re-signed James Hurst.

But a first-round pick would likely be an upgrade over Hurst. At 6-feet-7, 309 pounds, McGlinchey is a physical blocker who is effective because of his technique. The concern is that his lack of ideal athleticism will hinder him against speed-rushers.

The addition of McGlinchey would create Fighting Irish bookends for Baltimore. McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley would start at tackle. In the last five drafts, only two offensive linemen from Notre Dame have come from Notre Dame: Stanley and Dallas Cowboys guard Zack Martin.

McClinchey is one of the best tackles in the draft this year. He is the No. 28 prospect from ESPN's Todd McShay, and Kiper ranks No. 25. Like the other offensive tackles who've been drafted in the first round by Baltimore, McGlinchey would look to follow Jonathan Ogden and Michael Orr as rookie starters.

4 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

The addition of McGlinchey would create Fighting Irish bookends for Baltimore. McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley would start at tackle. In the last five drafts, only two offensive linemen from Notre Dame have come from Notre Dame: Stanley and Dallas Cowboys guard Zack Martin.

Wow.. If they're from Notre Dame, I would guess they have to come from Notre Dame!  :o

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Done.  I actually love the idea now that I know they are family. Dude is a gifted OT

Gifted RT. Very good, possibly elite RT. He’s a guy you start at LT when you just don’t have a choice.

you could replace Schraeder next year (big cap hit).

i can’t find anything saying he played inside 

6 minutes ago, tactician said:

They are more the wine and cheese crowd. It's more like, "how are you fairing this fine evening, dear cousin."

Hahaha!!!  Good one!  But seriously, is 6'7" to tall for a Guard?  Or is there such a thing as being too tall for a G?  I know, he's projected to go somewhere around the 16th pick, from what I've seen lately, and I wouldn't be a fan of trading up to get him....but it is a VERY interesting proposition --- I mean, you have to think he would guard his "dear cousin" with his life --- :rolleyes: