NFL bans lowering head to initiate contact.. possible effect on free's productivity?

Apparently you can't lower your head to initiate contact anymore. It might not be strictly enforced, but if so, it could definitely have an effect on Freeman's productivity. He lowers his head on nearly every play.

Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/28/no-one-knows-how-strictly-the-nfl-will-enforce-the-new-helmet-rule/

Edited by The_Realist

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is horrible.... that pretty much means every play could be contested .... I know it' a safety reason but they just opened th door for officials to swing games for the "favorite" team to win  (or whoever the NFL or Vegas wants to win)

To be honest, this is crucial to plays that are 3rd and inches, 4th and inches, goal-line runs, or QB sneaks.

RBs and QB are more likely lower their heads to try to plow through contact on those type plays.

They may need to start allowing replay reviews on potential helmet penalties or this will more than likely cause many players to get ejected from games.

Just now, middlegatv said:

I would like to see a video from the NFL rules committee that shows the difference between legal and illegal before I flip out.

Leading with shoulder...legal

Leading with head...illegal

Also the second to last paragraph is more than likely what will happen...

"On the other hand, this might turn out to be like the rule change from 2013, when the league put restrictions on ball carriers lowering the crowns of their helmets into tacklers. At the time the rule passed, there were warnings that the sport of football would never be the same. (Just read PFT’s comments that day.) As it turned out, the rule barely registered because it was so rarely enforced: The league told the officials only to flag the most flagrant, obvious examples of players using their helmets as weapons."

They are trying to eliminate the kill shots on defense, as they should.

25 minutes ago, UK13 said:

This is horrible.... that pretty much means every play could be contested .... I know it' a safety reason but they just opened th door for officials to swing games for the "favorite" team to win  (or whoever the NFL or Vegas wants to win)

Yeah, idk how they're gonna evenly enforce this. It could be called on EVERY 4th and short running play that you don't go over the top. It could be called on pretty much every QB sneak. This will be a nightmare for officials, replay, and commentators after the fact.

1 hour ago, The_Realist said:

Apparently you can't lower your head to initiate contact anymore. It might not be strictly enforced, but if so, it could definitely have an effect on Freeman's productivity. He lowers his head on nearly every play.

Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/28/no-one-knows-how-strictly-the-nfl-will-enforce-the-new-helmet-rule/

He was the first player I thought of when I saw this new rule. Grrrr

So can we sue the NFL for some of his contract back when he can't play the way we thought he would when we paid him?

7 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Hahaha hey I'm just trying to help out that cap #.  ;-)

lol, ok ok

The thing is...Freeman is a little dude.  He isn't some huge bruising running back like Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott, even AP.  The way Free was going with the concussions, his career was going to be in jeopardy in a short amount of time.  And really, it has nothing to do with his body type when it comes to brain injury, but he has already had several concussions in his short career so this rule should actually lengthen his career if it is followed.

The problem right now is every defender wants to go for the kill shot by leading with their helmet.  You don't need to do that, see Keanu Neal.  The sport is dangerous enough as is without these monsters (and I say that in a height/weight/speed sense) out to do damage to another players brain.  There is a HUGE hit zone right smack dab in the middle of the chest...aim for that.

They are trying to make the sport safer.  Safer does not equal softer as some would believe.  If anything, you can have a much bigger collision with another player if you tackle them through the waist/chest than you can by spearing their helmet with yours.

Free is a juker like Barry was, and while he can go power when he needs to, his strength is his vision and jukes and elusiveness.  This rule does not take that away, it actually puts more of a spotlight on it.

1 hour ago, The_Realist said:

Thoughts?

i mean the simple response should be you can lower your shoulder just not your head..right??

2 hours ago, The_Realist said:

Thoughts?

Thought this was voted in last year BC I remember having this same thought

2 hours ago, UK13 said:

Well have to replace subjective catch rules with another subjective rule so that points can be shaved still

7 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Running backs put their head down to try to protect the ball and avoid as much impact as possible. If this rule is enforced on ball carriers it's going to be interesting to see if it produces more fumbles.

They can still do that, they just need to lower their shoulder instead of their head.