Johnny Manziel for backup QB!

I know what you're thinking but hear me out.  It's the offseason so we should consider the risk/reward here:

1) Manziel's value is at an all time low.  We can take a flier on Manziel.  He's virtually free yet has upside.  He was a first rounder who never even gave himself a chance.  He's not the first guy to piss away his first couple years due to substance abuse.  I seem to remember Brett Favre doing something similar.  

2) We have the perfect situation to bring him in.  Manziel can ride the pine and show that he's sane now.  If he goes a year or two without any problems, he is suddenly great trade bait for us.  Or if he truly develops, we could keep him as a successor to Ryan.  We all know how demoralizing it is to lose to a bantam-sized QB, such as Brees.  But worst case, if Manziel relapses into drugs or beats on his beautiful wife, we kick him to the curb.  

3) If Gumby Ryan somehow gets hurt, our season is probably over.  But at least with a guy like Manziel, you have an X factor that can compensate for the drop-off from Ryan's execution.  You could also use him on irritating gadget plays here and there and give the other teams something frustrating to prepare for.  Isn't that better than running the wildcat with Sanu?  

4) Schaub is costing us $4M against the cap.  We could probably save $3M and sign a capable DT.  You know, someone who actually plays.  At a position we actually need.  Frankly I can't believe Schaub is still on the team.  He might have nudes of TD, but it seems like we could still just make him an assistant QB coach and take him off the team cap.

5) Preseason would be more exciting.  That may not be important to some of you, but consider that his wife is smoking hot also. 

6) Last and certainly least, Manziel has not yet completely covered himself in tattoos.  He still has room for the Falcon logo somewhere on there, but we need to act fast.

If Manziel shows promise in spring league (whatever that is), we should pick him up.  Especially if there is some other DT out there we can bring in instead of Schaub.  This is similar to why I'd be interested in Lamar Jackson, except this move costs nothing (although Lamar has a better chance of success).

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

**** NO!

**** NAH!

**** NAW!

I have so many problems with him on the field and off the field college and NFL. Words ain't gonna change my thoughts about him. Yet, Kaepernick who is a proven winner when given the right pieces can't even get a job back because of his opinion on our country.. Funny enough Kaepernick would be another controversial SEVEN in Atlanta just like Vick was.

42 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

3) If Gumby Ryan somehow gets hurt, our season is probably over.  But at least with a guy like Manziel, you have an X factor that can compensate for the drop-off from Ryan's execution.  You could also use him on irritating gadget plays here and there and give the other teams something frustrating to prepare for.  Isn't that better than running the wildcat with Sanu?  

4) Schaub is costing us $4M against the cap.  We could probably save $3M and sign a capable DT.  You know, someone who actually plays.  At a position we actually need.  Frankly I can't believe Schaub is still on the team.  He might have nudes of TD, but it seems like we could still just make him an assistant QB coach and take him off the team cap.

5) Preseason would be more exciting.  That may not be important to some of you, but consider that his wife is smoking hot also. 

6) Last and certainly least, Manziel has not yet completely covered himself in tattoos.  He still has room for the Falcon logo somewhere on there, but we need to act fast.

I don't want Manziel at all (I'd rather get Kaepernick than Manziel talent wise and character wise), but I do agree that the Falcons need a good backup QB. Schaub isn't good at all. I've seen him in the preseason and the end of the Rams game (in 2016) enough to know. Matt Ryan has the longest streak in the NFL of consecutive starts by any active starting QB right now. Streaks that are longer than Drew Brees and Cam Newton. Even longer than Tom Brady too because of his suspension. All it takes is one hit like you said. As healthy as Brady has always been, the one year he got injured which was in 2008, it was the only year Belichick missed the playoffs besides 2000 when Drew Bledsoe started the majority of that year.. Yes, they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, but still. Matt Ryan is a really tough guy, and that's what gives us an advantage at QB than a lot of other teams in the league who can't even find a franchise QB or can't find consistency with one.

Edited by mqg96

F to the naw!  

Jeebus, puke in my mouth just thinking of Johnny Football in the b’hood! 

Heck id be tempted to hang a steak on his neck and send Takk, Jarrett, and Beasley after him the first snap he took in a Falcon uni!! Or, put a sign on his neck advertising Jerry Jones glory hole open for business, all takers welcome!.

sheesh! 

1 hour ago, athell said:

:munch:

This is some funny stuff. I love it.

I did read somewhere that he is attending another Pro Day (somewhere in FL I think) and all 32 teams are attending.

I say he screwed up but what young kid hasn't. He should get a one year shot somewhere. He has been diadnosed with bipolar disorder and admits he was an alcoholic. We gave Sark a flyer with that issue. So if he stays on his meds and in AA, I could be inclined to be cautiously optimistic on maybe a preseason invite.