Would you trade up for Roquan Smith if fell to say pick 19?

MSalmon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, King Jigsaw said:

I’m against the idea of trading up for any position this year. 

Maybe if Quentin Nelson was within reach, but that’s not the case.

Top player on the board at 26, or try to move back.

Why? Just curious.

i wouldn’t trade up for many players. Vitae, Smith, Fitzpatrick or Smith or the only four that I’d consider.

Just now, MSalmon said:

Why? Just curious.

i wouldn’t trade up for many players. Vitae, Smith, Fitzpatrick or Smith or the only four that I’d consider.

We’ve got a lot of cap decisions to make in the near future. You know what will make that easier? Cheap alternatives. Using three picks on one linebacker will not help us when decisions are made regarding Tevin Coleman, Vic Beasley, etc.

5 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Why? Just curious.

I don’t think we’ll trade up this year. Me personally I wouldn’t do it. To me that’s a spinning wheels in mud move like we used to do with smith later in his tenure. Drafting the same position you just drafted. I wouldn’t waste an early draft pick on a LB this year and certainly not trade up for one. I’m still going dL whether DT or DE in the 1st. Preferably DT. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t think we’ll trade up this year. Me personally I wouldn’t do it. To me that’s a spinning wheels in mud move like we used to do with smith later in his tenure. Drafting the same position you just drafted. I wouldn’t waste an early draft pick on a LB this year and certainly not trade up for one. I’m still going dL whether DT or DE in the 1st. Preferably DT. 

I’m not sure that I would, but I could see it for a playmaker. Our defense improved, but it could use a playmaker,

the same position is kinda moot, although I understand your reasoning. But you do need quality LBs and we rotate LBs a lot.

im not thinking we draft a DT in first. I can see a DE, could see a LB (not sure trade up, that’s hypothetical), cb, FS or even TE

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Depends how far he falls, if he falls in late teens, early 20's... we could trade up for him if we really wanted him. 

While this post is extremely hypothetical, I agree. I certainly don’t see us going up in top 15 area. Linebackers seem to often fall every year. 

16 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

We’ve got a lot of cap decisions to make in the near future. You know what will make that easier? Cheap alternatives. Using three picks on one linebacker will not help us when decisions are made regarding Tevin Coleman, Vic Beasley, etc.

Have you seen next years cap? We’ll be fine. 

A lot depends on how the falcons view the draft. Trader Tom hasn’t ever been afraid to move up

Just now, MSalmon said:

While this post is extremely hypothetical, I agree. I certainly don’t see us going up in top 15 area. Linebackers seem to often fall every year. 

Would cost us too much to move up into top 10 to draft him. But if we do trade up, i hope it's worth it and works out for us, like the Julio Jones trade.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

If we were going up for a LBer Edmunds is the guy in my eyes.

Mike/Sam and move Campbell to Will and keep developing Riley boom.

You got the athleticism mixed in with sheer size that can combat blocks I love me some Trumaine Edmunds.

The only thing with Edmunds is he’s young (which could be good as well) and he’s not very instinctual. That said, his athleticism compensates nicely.

i do love him, but I still see him growing into an edge rusher. 

But, yeah, I’d throw him in the mix of playmaker 

9 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Would cost us too much to move up into top 10 to draft him. But if we do trade up, i hope it's worth it and works out for us, like the Julio Jones trade.

I’m definitely not advocating a trade up into top ten. And, linebackers routinely slip from early projection. 

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

The only thing with Edmunds is he’s young (which could be good as well) and he’s not very instinctual. That said, his athleticism compensates nicely.

i do love him, but I still see him growing into an edge rusher. 

But, yeah, I’d throw him in the mix of playmaker 

Yep I've seen the lack of instincts watching him he bites on stuff when he shouldn't but that's all down to experience.Personally I just love the size and athleticism from him and I think he can take on blockers better than anyone of the backers we have now.

To me that's the defenses 1st job to shut these teams down early in the strike count so our rushers can get after the QB.

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Sounds great that we have CAP space next year, but we only have 33 players under contract.  And no QB under contract. 

And how is that a problem you don't think the FO has financially planned for next year and beyond with these contracts.I bet they have hence why we have 120 plus mill the following year.Also the first 2- years of these contracts are lessened cap hits anyway.

Go the scare mongering.

Whens the last time the Falcons were handicapped by the salary cap in the last decade?

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I've seen the lack of instincts watching him he bites on stuff when he shouldn't but that's all down to experience.Personally I just love the size and athleticism from him and I think he can take on blockers better than anyone of the backers we have now.

To me that's the defenses 1st job to shut these teams down early in the strike count so our rushers can get after the QB.

No argument there, brother. He’s not even full grown yet. Wouldn’t break my heart if he somehow luckily ended up  a falcon.

and I don’t mean it as a negative that I could see him coming off the edge. 

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Sounds great that we have CAP space next year, but we only have 33 players under contract.  And no QB under contract. 

Yeah and we’re really going to draft 20 players. You’re not serious, right?

this post is just for discussion, but we’re not drafting even 10 players