WR Depth

Not sure if discussed already but off-season is slow and I'm sitting at the beach waiting for the wife to return from Narnia it seems like. Do you believe the FO has confidence in Hardy, Marvin Hall and the bags of chips left on the roster to back JJ and Sanu? I'd definitely look at Jordan Mathews to compete. He proved to be a good slot option while in Philly and he won't need to do much because of our outside studs. It seems like a very good cheap upgrade if he picks up the system well. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jordan but only with a cap-friendly 'prove-it' deal for a year.  He could be a great red-zone target for Ryan if he catches on fire.  Then again, let's continue to build through the draft.  There are some pretty good WR's in this year's draft but we'll likely need to target one with the second pick to get a really decent one. 

Don’t forget that you have the combo of Coleman/Freeman that can be utilized in certain plays. You have Hooper who will probably command more plays this upcoming season. You still have Hardy and one of the other 2nd/3rd strings filling the need. 

WR will be added via 3/4th round, but not a major need. 

Virtually no chance we get a FA WR at this point.

And I wouldn’t bank on us drafting one early either.  Maybe 4th, 6th, or 7th.  I’m betting the 6th.

Because of our DL rotation, we have starting needs at DT x2, and even DE.  We could use an upgrade at WOLB too, plus general LB and safety depth.

I don’t get why so many of you keep suggesting we “need a slot receiver”.

Sanu is our slot receiver. In 3 and 4 receiver sets, Sanu is in the slot like 90% of the time.  At least 70% of his total snaps are from the slot running an underneath route.

Julio even lines up in the slot about 15-20% of his snaps.  Hardy about 20% of his snaps are in the slot with 80% outside.

Our WR’s move around and play nearly every receiver position.

Julio, Hardy, and Hall/Davis will play mostly outside.  Hall and Davis are 4.3x speed deep threat burners.

When/If we draft a WR, it will most likely be a Gabriel clone.  Somebody shifty we can simply get the ball to in space and let them make plays with their elusiveness.

21 minutes ago, Beef said:

Virtually no chance we get a FA WR at this point.

And I wouldn’t bank on us drafting one early either.  Maybe 4th, 6th, or 7th.  I’m betting the 6th.

Because of our DL rotation, we have starting needs at DT x2, and even DE.  We could use an upgrade at WOLB too, plus general LB and safety depth.

I don’t get why so many of you keep suggesting we “need a slot receiver”.

Sanu is our slot receiver. In 3 and 4 receiver sets, Sanu is in the slot like 90% of the time.  At least 70% of his total snaps are from the slot running an underneath route.

Julio even lines up in the slot about 15-20% of his snaps.  Hardy about 20% of his snaps are in the slot with 80% outside.

Our WR’s move around and play nearly every receiver position.

Julio, Hardy, and Hall/Davis will play mostly outside.  Hall and Davis are 4.3x speed deep threat burners.

When/If we draft a WR, it will most likely be a Gabriel clone.  Somebody shifty we can simply get the ball to in space and let them make plays with their elusiveness.

More accurately, instead of slot, we need a 3 receiver, which is a starter.  Preferably a tall burner.

Our 3 receiver is a much weaker starting position for us than LB, DE or any other position other than DT.  From actual needs/weakness, our needs would be:

FB, DT, 3 WR, nickel corner.  3 of the 4 of those would get 60% of snaps.  So DT, 3WR, nickel are the weakest positions.  I doubt we draft in that order, but people are overlooking the need at WR by thinking of a 3rd WR like a 3rd RG.  One sees the field all the time, and the other none at all.

25 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

More accurately, instead of slot, we need a 3 receiver, which is a starter.  Preferably a tall burner.

Our 3 receiver is a much weaker starting position for us than LB, DE or any other position other than DT.  From actual needs/weakness, our needs would be:

FB, DT, 3 WR, nickel corner.  3 of the 4 of those would get 60% of snaps.  So DT, 3WR, nickel are the weakest positions.  I doubt we draft in that order, but people are overlooking the need at WR by thinking of a 3rd WR like a 3rd RG.  One sees the field all the time, and the other none at all.

We’ve had a visit/meeting with a whopping ONE WR so far and that’s Javon Wims at UGA’s pro day.  A guy with a late round ranking. 

And we’ve had no FA WR’s in for visits either.

It’s not the priority some of you think.

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

Edited by Beef

14 minutes ago, Beef said:

We’ve had a visit/meeting with a whopping ONE WR so far and that’s Javon Wims at UGA’s pro day.  A guy with a late round ranking. 

I want that WR bad too. Seemed like all year on third and long Fromm would just toss it up to him to a first.

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I want that WR bad too. Seemed like all year on third and long Fromm would just toss it up to him to a first.

Yep, if Wims by some miracle is still there in the 6th, he’s a steal. 

I’ve got a feeling teams know he’s under-the-radar good and he gets nabbed in the 4th or 5th, however.

Just now, Beef said:

Yep, if Wims by some miracle is still there in the 6th, he’s a steal. 

I’ve got a feeling teams know he’s under-the-radar good and he gets nabbed in the 4th or 5th, however.

I'd love a draft of

Josh Jackson

Rasheem Green

Kalen Ballage

Javon Wims

Siran Neal

After that idc 

59 minutes ago, Beef said:

Oh I don't think it's a priority to the FO.  I think it should be.  I think they're overvaluing their own players at WR and TE just like they did last year at RG and TE.

3 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Doesn’t matter if he’s short or tall. As long as he’s a playmaker. We need a playmaking burner. Hall can be that. Maybe even Davis. And id like to draft a guy to compete with them. 

3 hours ago, Beef said:

Definitely have to disagree. We will never have world beaters at every position but we are walking into the draft with some depth holes. I do whole heartedly believe if we don't address WR with the lil cap we do have we have to look at mid round WRs in the draft. Wims out of UGA would be a nice look in the 4th to us. 

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Doesn’t matter if he’s short or tall. As long as he’s a playmaker. We need a playmaking burner. Hall can be that. Maybe even Davis. And id like to draft a guy to compete with them. 

Pretty much this, but considering the year investment we've made into Hall & Davis its doubtful we draft highly at WR. More likely a receiving TE(FB hybrid?) or a RB. That is assuming they really believe in one of those two becoming the reliable 3rd WR & deep threat. We know Hardy is solid but not really an explosive plays guy.

If they don't really have confidence in WR we may get a 3rd or a 4th round pick...maybe. Given the touches/targets after Julio, Sanu, Freeman, Tevin, and Hooper...then our #3 WR gets the leftovers. Doubtful we go high for one in that case.

12 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Pretty much this, but considering the year investment we've made into Hall & Davis its doubtful we draft highly at WR. More likely a receiving TE(FB hybrid?) or a RB. That is assuming they really believe in one of those two becoming the reliable 3rd WR & deep threat. We know Hardy is solid but not really an explosive plays guy.

If they don't really have confidence in WR we may get a 3rd or a 4th round pick...maybe. Given the touches/targets after Julio, Sanu, Freeman, Tevin, and Hooper...then our #3 WR gets the leftovers. Doubtful we go high for one in that case.

I don’t think we’ll go high for a wr. We might take one in the 3rd or 4th tho. I’d love for us to get another shifty speed guy. Somebody that can stress a defense out. 

16 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t think we’ll go high for a wr. We might take one in the 3rd or 4th tho. I’d love for us to get another shifty speed guy. Somebody that can stress a defense out. 

And they certainly have some belief in developing guys like Hall & Davis. Why else let a guy like Hall take majority of Julio's reps last offseason? They tried to translate that to on field. Unfortunately, after the butt INT it was put on the back burner but his first catch vs Miami was a 40 yard bomb.

To me, our offense is hard on receivers learning curves anyway with the route trees and it being such a timing based system so another reason to not spend a day 1 or 2 pick on a deep threat unless it was such a glaring weakness after internal evaluations and planning ahead we just had to get a body in that could likely beat out the returning developments in progress.

The catch to this is where veterans can fill gaps during player development. Just browsing through our drafts. Wow, 2014 was good but before that we had some terrible drafts do in the roster at the end of Smith's era. No one from 2012 draft made it past 2014 in the league. Yikes!

8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And they certainly have some belief in developing guys like Hall & Davis. Why else let a guy like Hall take majority of Julio's reps last offseason? They tried to translate that to on field. Unfortunately, after the butt INT it was put on the back burner but his first catch vs Miami was a 40 yard bomb.

To me, our offense is hard on receivers learning curves anyway with the route trees and it being such a timing based system so another reason to not spend a day 1 or 2 pick on a deep threat unless it was such a glaring weakness after internal evaluations and planning ahead we just had to get a body in that could likely beat out the returning developments in progress.

The catch to this is where veterans can fill gaps during player development. Just browsing through our drafts. Wow, 2014 was good but before that we had some terrible drafts do in the roster at the end of Smith's era. No one from 2012 draft made it past 2014 in the league. Yikes!

Yep. Smart drafting builds your future. Terrible drafting destroys it. We drafted so well since 2015 that we’ve build a strong foundation. Personally I really don’t care about other teams vets. The only positions I like to sign vets is DL and OL. Everything else I want drafted. If we have a vet leader already. For instance Julio. No need to bring a vet WR in because we have him and Sanu. Even hardy is a vet now. Keep drafting young guys and in the next year or two it’ll be time to draft Julio’s eventual replacement. Like TO was drafted to replace Jerry Rice eventually. I like drafting our stars. 

2 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Would rather another receiving TE

Saurbert is a receiving TE. He’ll get his shot this year. And I think we still have Perkins. We have TE’s. Really no need to draft another. We can use that pick in something more needed. Like WR lol. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Saurbert is a receiving TE. He’ll get his shot this year. And I think we still have Perkins. We have TE’s. Really no need to draft another. We can use that pick in something more needed. Like WR lol. 

That’s why I don’t think we need another WR. More targets to TE. Either Saurbert is that guy or he isn’t 

3 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

That’s why I don’t think we need another WR. More targets to TE. Either Saurbert is that guy or he isn’t 

We need another WR because we lost Gabriel. We need that again. It could be Hall. He showed some promise last season but we still need to draft one tk compete. We also lost Nick williams. So we def need to draft another. We have TE’s at the moment. Lost Toilolo replaces him with the new guy. Hooper, Saubert, and Perkins. That’s 4 TE’s and I’m sure we’ll give an UDFA a shot as well to compete. There needs to be a 3 way battle for that Gabriel spot tho. Hall, Davis and drafted guy. 

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We need another WR because we lost Gabriel. We need that again. It could be Hall. He showed some promise last season but we still need to draft one tk compete. We also lost Nick williams. So we def need to draft another. We have TE’s at the moment. Lost Toilolo replaces him with the new guy. Hooper, Saubert, and Perkins. That’s 4 TE’s and I’m sure we’ll give an UDFA a shot as well to compete. There needs to be a 3 way battle for that Gabriel spot tho. Hall, Davis and drafted guy. 

I think Gabriel is vastly overrated. Hall could have done the same thing with shanny still here.