You Cannot Draft Experience

We have a good football team. We've made the playoffs two years in a row. My question is a relatively weak effort of signing a tight end, offensive or defensive line help, etc. While other teams target their FA signings with their needs, we plug holes with cheap help. I can only hope they are serviceable because draft players are usually 2-3 down the road before they gain the experience needed.I know the salary cap is a problem. We are not the only team battling salary cap. The tight end FA we just signed only blocks. He averages 10 catches a year. The new OG appears no better than what we have. Hope I am wrong but the improvements appear to be offset by what we lost. 

Just now, g-dawg said:

Other teams don’t have a $30mm QB, two ProBowl Corners making $25mm/yr(combined) and a half dozen stars on rookie deals that have to be planned for to be able to re-sign.

Beat me to it. Other teams have the money to plug holes with free agents because they have to. We don't. We've drafted so well that we have to try and re-sign these star, rookie deal guys like Neal, Jones, Jarrett, Vic, Campbell etc. 

With that said, you can't have the best talent at each position. Fusco only need to be average to be an impact signing. We had one of the better offenses with Swiss cheese at RG.

We'll probably bring in a big body via draft to be a space eater to go along with Craw. The rest of the defense is well experienced at this point to cover for a rookie DT that will only be asked to eat space, and we have Craw. 

Hooper isn't that bad to be honest. I would love Gisecki or Hurst still, but wouldn't be surprised if we avoided TE with the Paulson signing.

50 minutes ago, slewis1952 said:

We have a good football team. We've made the playoffs two years in a row. My question is a relatively weak effort of signing a tight end, offensive or defensive line help, etc. While other teams target their FA signings with their needs, we plug holes with cheap help. I can only hope they are serviceable because draft players are usually 2-3 down the road before they gain the experience needed.I know the salary cap is a problem. We are not the only team battling salary cap. The tight end FA we just signed only blocks. He averages 10 catches a year. The new OG appears no better than what we have. Hope I am wrong but the improvements appear to be offset by what we lost. 

As you mentioned, we already have a playoff team.  Our biggest weakness last season was a gaping hole at RG.  We addressed that issue in a frugal manner.  Basically, we replaced Chester.  

The FO had to make some tough choices to prepare to carry this team into the next few seasons.  We released a few DL's.  Why did we do this?  We did it because Quinn, Pioli, and Dimitroff see young talent in this draft that can sufficiently cover the departures.  

6 minutes ago, etherdome said:

As you mentioned, we already have a playoff team.  Our biggest weakness last season was a gaping hole at RG. We addressed that issue in a frugal manner.  Basically, we replaced Chester.  

The FO had to make some tough choices to prepare to carry this team into the next few seasons.  We released a few DL's.  Why did we do this?  We did it because Quinn, Pioli, and Dimitroff see young talent in this draft that can sufficiently cover the departures.  

Bargain bin shopping in an area where we needed to be shopping designer racks.  OL and DL.

13 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Bargain bin shopping in an area where we needed to be shopping designer racks.  OL and DL.

See Jake Matthews and Alex Mack. We'v invested into the o line. We didn't need an expensive RG. Just better than Sweis. We've had the same 4 starters in Jake, Mack, Shraeder, and levitre. We have the chemistry most o lines don't. Adding an average guy to that group only improves the line. As mentioned, we replaced Chester from 2 years ago(although I see we did better).

13 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

See Jake Matthews and Alex Mack. We'v invested into the o line. We didn't need an expensive RG. Just better than Sweis. We've had the same 4 starters in Jake, Mack, Shraeder, and levitre. We have the chemistry most o lines don't. Adding an average guy to that group only improves the line. As mentioned, we replaced Chester from 2 years ago(although I see we did better).

Didn't think that last year after Switzerland was ice skating backwards all season. Yall thought he was gonna be good too.

Bargain shopping along the lines works quite less than retail shopping. Ex. (Alex Mack = retail, Switzerland = bargain shopping) And I've seen Master Shreader ice skating backwards several times last year too.

It’s not the drafting that bothers me.

Its the thinking that they can constantly use lower round guys or undrafted free agents to fill important positions.

Sure you can get depth there and maybe have one or two success stories but you risk overall quality going down.

Thats basically what happened at the end of the Mike Smith Era.  The front 7 was a mess but you really couldn’t tell because the offensive line was a mess at the same.  

During that time you knew you had good corners because of who they had to line up against.

Dont let the quality of the slime slip because the oline is sure to follow...

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Didn't think that last year after Switzerland was ice skating backwards all season. Yall thought he was gonna be good too.

I didn’t think he was that bad but that’s what happens when you face elite dlines... which is what teams in the playoffs usually have.

4 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Bargain shopping along the lines works quite less than retail shopping. Ex. (Alex Mack = retail, Switzerland = bargain shopping) And I've seen Master Shreader ice skating backwards several times last year too.

I never thought to highly of Sweis. With that said, how do we sign a "retail" priced o lineman with a few dollars?

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I never thought to highly of Sweis. With that said, how do we sign a "retail" priced o lineman with a few dollars?

You can't. TD gave all our money away without taking care of the nasties upfront. Like buying nice clothes and dressing up, but wearing shoes you cut the grass in with those clothes.

1 minute ago, Flying Falcon said:

You can't. TD gave all our money away without taking care of the nasties upfront. Like buying nice clothes and dressing up, but wearing shoes you cut the grass in with those clothes.

I mean he paid a top 3 center. Spent a top 5 pick on a LT, who will be extended. Traded for a LG making 7 mill at one point. Spent to keep his RT. Guess we need a 200 million dollar cap.

Just now, Geaux_Falcons said:

I mean he paid a top 3 center. Spent a top 5 pick on a LT, who will be extended. Traded for a LG making 7 mill at one point. Spent to keep his RT. Guess we need a 200 million dollar cap.

But yet Ryan ran for his life and kept picking himself up off the turf last year. Hmmmm......wonder why.

22 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

But yet Ryan ran for his life and kept picking himself up off the turf last year. Hmmmm......wonder why.

Yet Ryan got sacked a franchise low last year I believe. Our OL was top 10 last year and improved with the signing of Fusco.

Edited by falconsfan4life3

21 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

That's just the nature of the position. What QB in the NFL doesn't run for their life and pick themselves up off the turf?