Should We Trade Vic Beasley?

Last year I was all in on the Trufant trade. But I saw this in another thread and felt it could generate some interesting discussion, wanted to see what the TATF heads thought about it.

So, off of this list we can basically check off Matthews and Ryan. They'll be extended this off-season or the next, undoubtedly. But next is Tevin Coleman, Grady Jarrett, Brian Poole, Rico, Debo, De'Vondre Campbell, Keanu Neal and Vic Beasley. Instead of letting them test free agency, why not trade one, get some picks and move back.

An excerpt from PFF's 2016 grade on Vic Beasley:

"Beasley was the NFL’s sack leader this year, with two more sacks to his name than any other player, but as impressive as that number is, it flatters his overall play and even his pass rush. Beasley sacked the QB 16 times from 56 total pressures, a conversion rate of 28.6 percent, while the average edge rusher converts at just over 15 percent. That might be seen by some as evidence of elite finishing, but history says it’s a completely unsustainable level, and owes more to bad tackles and other factors producing a run of clean up or unblocked sacks.

Beasley has four multiple-sack games that account for 11 of his 16 sacks, and all of them came against subpar tackles that have an average PFF rating for the season of 56.8. Beasley was good this year, but not as good as his sack total suggests, so he falls behind other pass-rushers that generated significantly more pressure (Khalil Mack had 40 more total pressures and just two fewer sacks)"

However, many projected Vic Beasley to be a prototype 3-4 OLB coming out of Clemson. He could thrive in an environment like Pittsburgh. He's young, he's an elite athlete and he's still on a rookie contract, so we honestly can't lose either way. I just wanted to see you what you guys thought about this topic.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

*Sigh

Listen, these boards have been mind numbingly boring the past week. TD makes no moves, we complain there are no moves being made, complain that other teams are making moves and we're not, rinse and REPEAT. It's like clockwork.

I'm just trying to have some semblance of an interesting discussion. If you think it's a bad idea, just state why. It's a DISCUSSION BOARD lol

Beasley is a big piece to this defense. While I think his 2016 numbers were a bit inflated hes still a very good pass rusher and his speed is super valueable. For me it all depends on what hes asking for. There's a good chance someone will give him a stupid contract if he hits FA. Im talking Von Miller/Khalil Mack money, if Beasley is asking for that then I'm not sure I'd want him at that price. With that being said I wouldn't even consider moving him until after this upcoming season and thats only if hes asking for a ridiculous contract.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

7 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Beasley is a very valueable piece to this defense. While I think his 2016 numbers were a bit inflated hes still a very good pass rusher and his speed is super valueable. For me it all depends on what hes asking for. There's a good chance someone will give him a stupid contract if he hits FA. Im talking Von Miller/Khalil Mack money, if Beasley is asking for that then I'm not sure I'd want him at that price. With that being said I wouldn't even consider moving him until after this upcoming season and thats only if hes asking for a ridiculous contract.

Yep I feel the exact same way. I like Beasley and I think being at DE full time this year he'll end up w about 10-12 sacks but if the dude wants a giant contract, you're right, we have to let him walk. I love his speed but I don't really think he's a guy we build around I think he's an excellent piece to this or really any solid defense. 

His first step is Von Miller-esque. He’s still developing and didn’t get to develop more this year out of pass rush position. 

Trade value not worth it right now. Gotta give him time. 15 sacks not sustainable, but if he’s a 10 sack a year guy, we don’t want to lose out on that. Would rather give him the chance to earn the big bucks than trade. 

Would rather trade Coleman but only if we can draft Ballage 

3 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Last year I was all in on the Trufant trade. But I saw this in another thread and felt it could generate some interesting discussion, wanted to see what the TATF heads thought about it.

So, off of this list we can basically check off Matthews and Ryan. They'll be extended this off-season or the next, undoubtedly. But next is Tevin Coleman, Grady Jarrett, Brian Poole, Rico, Debo, De'Vondre Campbell, Keanu Neal and Vic Beasley. Instead of letting them test free agency, why not trade one, get some picks and move back.

An excerpt from PFF's 2016 grade on Vic Beasley:

"Beasley was the NFL’s sack leader this year, with two more sacks to his name than any other player, but as impressive as that number is, it flatters his overall play and even his pass rush. Beasley sacked the QB 16 times from 56 total pressures, a conversion rate of 28.6 percent, while the average edge rusher converts at just over 15 percent. That might be seen by some as evidence of elite finishing, but history says it’s a completely unsustainable level, and owes more to bad tackles and other factors producing a run of clean up or unblocked sacks.

Beasley has four multiple-sack games that account for 11 of his 16 sacks, and all of them came against subpar tackles that have an average PFF rating for the season of 56.8. Beasley was good this year, but not as good as his sack total suggests, so he falls behind other pass-rushers that generated significantly more pressure (Khalil Mack had 40 more total pressures and just two fewer sacks)"

However, many projected Vic Beasley to be a prototype 3-4 OLB coming out of Clemson. He could thrive in an environment like Pittsburgh. He's young, he's an elite athlete and he's still on a rookie contract, so we honestly can't lose either way. I just wanted to see you what you guys thought about this topic.

Poole,Allen,Coleman I don't think makes the cut ( contract ) I believe all can be replaced and we have drafted players before to try and see if they fit . Kazeer was drafted and crossed trained to see what role he played better CB/S. The hard one to replace is Coleman. So that's why I see us using him until he is 100% to much to keep on a franchise tag. If we can't find someone to replace him. As for Poole I think as a 3rd corner/slot he can be had for cheap or replaced for a upgrade if you want to pay someone good money or draft. 

I think we have alot of cap room in 2019-2022. Only 2 guys have contacts until 2022. Like 5 guys has contract until 2020. So cap room is coming in 2019.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

Edited by AllStarHandyMan

5 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Listen, these boards have been mind numbingly boring the past week. TD makes no moves, we complain there are no moves being made, complain that other teams are making moves and we're not, rinse and REPEAT. It's like clockwork.

I'm just trying to have some semblance of an interesting discussion. If you think it's a bad idea, just state why. It's a DISCUSSION BOARD lol

Lol...BOOOM!

How many years does he have left?  I want to see what he  can do full time at DE.  Im not completely sold on him.  Out of the big DEF  guys we got to resign, he would be lower on that list to me.   Thats why I want to see what a full time at DE will do for him.

I wrote this back in July on Beasley...

I think the drawback to trading Beasley now is since the Falcons have let 3 key pieces leave, they are extremely thin depth chart wise along the DL.

What dropped my jaw this off-season were some of the contracts some pretty insignificant talent secured.  Beasley is not that, but that could make extending him a bit of a puzzle.

What PFF brought to light was real.  Beasley can feast on bad OL play but has his impact muted when up against better OT’s.  And I think it’s clear that the original vision Quinn had for him as a player has moved on to Plan B.

Bealsey is entering Year 4 now, and what I would say is that he is a decent-to-good player.  But that decent-to-good player is going to be looking for a contract in the $17-20M/year range next year...and I know he’s not THAT either.

Part of drafting well means making some tough calls on who you extend and who you play out the string with.  Beasley might fall in that latter category.