Falcons, Saints, Panthers interested in Ayers

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/saints-falcons-panthers-interested-in-de-robert-ayers

March 21st, 2018 at 6:27pm CST by Dallas Robinson

Instead of taking multiple free agent visits, former Buccaneers defensive end Robert Ayers plans to meet with teams at the NFL’s annual meeting in Orlando, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (video link), who reports the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers all have interest in Ayers.

New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina, of course, all reside in the NFC South, meaning each club was able to see Ayers’ production from a close vantage point over the past two years as he played for Tampa Bay. The Saints, for their part, have addressed their pass rush by re-signing defensive end Alex Okafor, while the Panthers upgraded their interior by inking Dontari Poe. The Falcons haven’t yet added any new players on the edge, but they have met with free agent Pernell McPhee.

Ayers is now entering his age-32 campaign, but he’s still an outstanding pass rusher. While Ayers posted only two sacks a season ago, he managed 28 pressures (a better indication of production) and graded as Pro Football Focus‘ No. 10 edge defender. Ayers also offers experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, although injuries will be a question mark, as he’s only played in 10 games in each of the past two seasons.

After being cut by the Buccaneers earlier this week, Ayers is now part of a free agent edge class that also includes McPhee, Connor Barwin, Junior Galette, Derrick Shelby, and Kony Ealy, among others.

USATSI_10466538-195x300.jpg

If by some chance we got Ayers and McPhee I'd feel that we upgraded , whether that's really the case and that Clayborn and other excelled here because of Quinn's scheme we won't know till later but I'd feel **** good going into draft

8 minutes ago, DMT11 said:

If by some chance we got Ayers and McPhee I'd feel that we upgraded , whether that's really the case and that Clayborn and other excelled here because of Quinn's scheme we won't know till later but I'd feel **** good going into draft

Man, I’m seeing the word “upgraded” misused around here a lot lately....

25 minutes ago, DMT11 said:

McPhee for sure. Ayers is meh IMO and  not an upgraded

We dont know if it really would be an upgrade, but considering all these guys we brought in before that turned out working well in our rotation just left to get much bigger deals came here when they werent considered **** just like Clayborn and Shelby and Upshaw etc.  Chances are they would do better here - that is also why we are going after these types of players.  Guys got that big 1st contract and then got hurt and now have been released and trying to get back to another good contract.  

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Man, I’m seeing the word “upgraded” misused around here a lot lately....

As depth, yea they'd be upgrades over what we have now. If healthy, Takk, Vic, Reed, McPhee/Ayers is a solid group. Get both and, depending on who the DT is next to Grady, and you have a fairly deep and versatile DL. Yea, neither has been fully healthy, but can they replace Clayborn and Upshaw? I'd call them an upgrade over them. 

I'll say this for the FO. I thought they would be looking at scrubs. Paulsen will basically be bringing a vet presence to the TE squad. He's not a good hands guy and is a decent blocker, but mainly just a vet presence for competition. I think they will be taking a closer look at Saubert and Gray. From what I've been getting, they are thrilled with Hooper's progress. If they bring in McPhee (good overall player) and Moats, count it as finished with FA. We can move forward with a draft. Although nebulous on what we will actually do in the draft, it will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I'll say this for the FO. I thought they would be looking at scrubs. Paulsen will basically be bringing a vet presence to the TE squad. He's not a good hands guy and is a decent blocker, but mainly just a vet presence for competition. I think they will be taking a closer look at Saubert and Gray. From what I've been getting, they are thrilled with Hooper's progress. If they bring in McPhee (good overall player) and Moats, count it as finished with FA. We can move forward with a draft. Although nebulous on what we will actually do in the draft, it will be interesting.

That’s the thing. Hooper is our #1 TE. Sure we could use another. We could upgrade at NB, but Poole is a good enough starter and Kazee will get a shot. We need DE and DT depth. Sure, but that can come cheap and as 3rd-4th round picks. WR3 we got young potential and a solid hands guy. Sure we could use an upgrade.

BUT, The only starters we NEED are DT and FB. And lol at people worried about FB. Can get FA late or late pick.

So, it only comes down to a single DT starter. Which can be drafted 1st-2nd or both, but would be better to fill the hole so we aren’t telegraphing our 1st round pick. 

4 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

That’s the thing. Hooper is our #1 TE. Sure we could use another. We could upgrade at NB, but Poole is a good enough starter and Kazee will get a shot. We need DE and DT depth. Sure, but that can come cheap and as 3rd-4th round picks. WR3 we got young potential and a solid hands guy. Sure we could use an upgrade.

BUT, The only starters we NEED are DT and FB. And lol at people worried about FB. Can get FA late or late pick.

So, it only comes down to a single DT starter. Which can be drafted 1st-2nd or both, but would be better to fill the hole so we aren’t telegraphing our 1st round pick. 

I see now what you all mean by NEED. I wasn't seeing the majority point, which makes me wrong. I was thinking in terms of MY OWN football worldview. So, yeah, we only NEED a DT and FB and not necessarily TWO DT's. Mainly one that can get the party started. I say, if they are going to really fix that need of FB, it has to be Flowers. That's just me. He's another weapon and can play J-TE. That's just me.

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I see now what you all mean by NEED. I wasn't seeing the majority point, which makes me wrong. I was thinking in terms of MY OWN football worldview. So, yeah, we only NEED a DT and FB and not necessarily TWO DT's. Mainly one that can get the party started. I say, if they are going to really fix that need of FB, it has to be Flowers. That's just me. He's another weapon and can play J-TE. That's just me.

Yeah, but in our case we can only cover needs not wants due to the cap and our upcoming star FAs. Wilkerson, Richardson, Suh, Bennet, Mattheiu...all wants, not needs. 

Vea, Payne, Hurst, Bryan plus (insert FB) can def cover our needs but we gotta land the right guy and hope that he can start right away 

Edited by NeonDeion

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

Yeah, but in our case we can only cover needs not wants due to the cap and our upcoming star FAs. Wilkerson, Richardson, Suh, Bennet, Mattheiu...all wants, not needs. 

Vea, Payne, Hurst, Bryan plus (insert FB) can def cover our needs but we gotta land the right guy and hope that he can start right away 

Yep, I'm hoping we don't with Hurst. 

25 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Pretty interesting that we're looking at McPhee and Ayers to replace Clayborn/Shelby... Because both were cuts, neither would count against the comp pick formula in 2019.

It's almost...it's almost like the front office has a /gasp plan!