Dimitroff says no timetable on Matt's contract extension

Dimitroff says no timetable on Ryan contract extension

Mike Clay

ESPN.com | 3:34 PM ET

ATHENS, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Wednesday the team continues to negotiate with quarterback Matt Ryan's agent but reiterated there's no timetable on getting a contract extension completed for the one-time MVP.

Ryan is in the final year of a five-year, $103.75 million extension and is due $19.25 million in 2018. There was talk of the the Falcons completing the extension before the start of free agency to free up more cap space, but that never materialized. Ryan's 2018 cap number currently is $21.65 million.

"There's no time frame on it right now,'' Dimitroff told reporters gathered at Georgia's pro day. "I think the biggest thing for [Ryan's representation], at one time, was probably waiting to see what was going on in the market. That's kind of come and gone now, right? So we'll continue to talk about how to get it finalized.''

Dimitroff has kept contact with Ryan throughout the process, although the actual negotiating has been between Dimitroff and agent Tom Condon.

"With agents, we're very mindful: We don't want to muddy the waters,'' Dimitroff said. "Ultimately ... [Ryan's] a team guy. There's no illegalities about talking to Matt Ryan -- myself or Dan Quinn. Of course we've had a talk here or there about the future. But as far as getting involved and trying to push wedges into a negotiation, no, because we have a good working relationship with Tom Condon and CAA. So I'm not concerned about that.

"As far as the discussions with Matt, again Matt knows what this team is about and he knows what he can do for this team at a number of levels. He knows that he's right up against a third contract in the NFL, and those are big contracts and significant discussion points. And he's very aware of that. And he's aware of everyone on the team being aware of it. He doesn't want to be a distraction. That's him. Ultimately, he's a team guy through and through. Again, hopefully we can move through this and get this done.''

When pressed on how close the team is to reaching a deal with Condon, Dimitroff said, "I don't know how close we are on it. We talk about it and it seems like things are right around the corner and understand that there's no real rush on it right now. ... It's not like we're worried about free agency. The only rush on it is getting everyone comfortable so that we can continue to focus on the upcoming season.''

The quarterback market saw Kirk Cousins move into the top spot in terms of average salary per year at $28 million with the Minnesota Vikings, while Jimmy Garoppolo was bumped up to $27.5 million per year with the San Francisco 49ers. Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford is at $27 million per year off last year's extension, while the New Orleans Saints' Drew Brees is fourth on the list at $25 million per year after a recently negotiated two-year deal.

Cousins' deal was for three years with $84 million guaranteed, while Garoppolo's was a five-year deal with $74.1 million guaranteed. The Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers is expected to sign a new lucrative deal before the start of the season and could become the first at $30 million per year, while Ryan seems likely to be a shade under.

"I think all of the market will factor into how we do Matt and how we approach Matt, there's no question about that,'' Dimitroff said. "If I were to state the significance of it, I think it's just a piece of the pie. His representation is looking at it and, of course, we're looking at it through a different lens. We're always mindful that we're aware of everything else. But like I said before, from an analytical standpoint and a statistical standpoint and a financial standpoint, we know that it ultimately comes back to what we're doing with this organization and what we deem as a win-win for both parties.''

57 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

TD just has to make a PR statement since the propaganda that is media needs their drug stories; good story bro.

"Ryan yet to have new deal limits Falcons in FA" now will become "Ryan's new deal cripples Falcons future" circle jerking. Gets clicks, right?

True, at this point man I'm just patiently waiting :shrug:

7 minutes ago, tactician said:

Offer 25 million per. If he's not satisfied let him walk, he can test the market.

Yeah, let a guy who appeared in a Superbowl get paid the same or less the unproven QBs and less accomplished QBs in San Fran, Minnesota and Detroit. That is a game of chicken we would lose every time.

I was one of t he few who speculated, it might be before the training camp in July or at earliest around start of OTA. Ryan signed last extension  around the time of training camp. Its too early to speculate, I would be worried if the deal doesn't happen by the training camp. 

12 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Are they really waiting for Rodgers? That would be annoying. Just top the Garapallo deal with a little more guaranteed money- 28/yr

Condon is probably trying to gauge if Ryan can top Rodgers or the other way. While the teams are trying to gauge who is waiting for who or it's probably just there really isn't a timetable for it.

Edited by Hingle McCringleberry

19 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I hear Hive sop dap is the next Tyrod Taylor. Got a cannon arm and lightening legs 

Hive sop dap is nothing like you have heard. The rumor has it, Hive sop dap needs no team, he can drag the whole defense in to the end zone. He can throw the ball 100 yards, run and catch his own passes for TD.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Hive sop dap is nothing like you have heard. The rumor has it, Hive sop dap needs no team, he can drag the whole defense in to the end zone. He can throw the ball 100 yards, run and catch his own passes for TD.

Sounds like Vick....

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

FO don't seem stressed because they have enough cash to get who they want during FA and so the Ryan deal doesn't need to be done.Basically I'm seeing solid financial planning here.Theyve restructured and signed who they've  had too.

I think it shows how confident they are in this roster. Now lets add some solid draft picks to the brotherhood.

Matt is under contract for another year.  At this point, we've missed the chance to free up space and sign an impact player for next year.  So I think we should just do what TD is doing -- stay put at wherever they are comfortable.

When the season gets closer and Matt starts taking hits, he'll have more incentive to sign an extension.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:54 PM, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Seems to me that Condon is juggling who to get extended first Rodgers or Ryan. 

Very possible and even probable... but Condon is also the agent for Brees, and they got that deal done quickly & for significantly less per year than you'd think based on what Cousins & Garappolo got paid.

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Matt is under contract for another year.  At this point, we've missed the chance to free up space and sign an impact player for next year.  So I think we should just do what TD is doing -- stay put at wherever they are comfortable.

When the season gets closer and Matt starts taking hits, he'll have more incentive to sign an extension.

He's a free agent after this season isn't he?